Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Well, What is it?

For the first few drives I was convinced it was something in the engine.. I was also sure it was coming from the left hand side.

But then I hopped in the passengers seat, took it for a drive and I could hear it on the right side.
And then I sat in the backseat, and I could hear it in the middle.

For a while, since nobody else could hear it, I honestly thought I was going mad, so I left it.

But it's only getting louder, and finally, it got loud enough to catch in on camera, Yes, I am finally deemed 'sane'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwSn3T-dU1Q

You can hear it come in the vid around the 3sec-6sec mark, it then goes away for a short bit and returns. Further details:

- Grinding/Scraping sound coming from what seems to be transmission

- Only happens with acceleration (generally slow, not pedal slamming type of acc)

- Comes in at around 1500/2000 revs and only at those points OR around the 50/60km mark (which is when I hear it most around time)

- The car does do slight little dips in revs when the sound comes on

- Transmission is still doing clean clean changes, but it becomes severe when you ask it to hop up a hill...

You will need to turn video right up/Head phones in to hear it - comes on and off throughout.

going to ask a silly question here, have you done a trans oil change yet (probably not as you just got the car)...

have a look at the trans oil, that may hold a clue to your woes.

going to ask a silly question here, have you done a trans oil change yet (probably not as you just got the car)...

Was just about to comment on here and say I've sussed out my own question.

I think a trans flush and trans oil will sort this problem. Just had a quick buzz with someone who has similar and solved all his issues.

Again, dumb question, approx cost I am looking at?

Thank God I am not hearing things.. I had a few people convinced I was on something ;) haha

That most definitely sounds like the torque converter, especially with rev dips u describe. My old 540i did that (not so much the grinding noise) but the dips at those speeds. It did it for 80,000kms and still does it!

Nee trans fluid should sort it but it might be a bit passed that stage with noise. Good luck..

• Like 1

That most definitely sounds like the torque converter, especially with rev dips u describe. My old 540i did that (not so much the grinding noise) but the dips at those speeds. It did it for 80,000kms and still does it!

Nee trans fluid should sort it but it might be a bit passed that stage with noise. Good luck..

Yuss, I am not alone on this haha.

I had mine done a few years ago, theres a bmw workshop in town that has the lifetime fluid in their trans flush machine, budget at least $300, but when i did mine it was worth every dollar. You can / should drop the sump pan off the box and chuck in a new filter and gasket at the same time, only another $60 or so from memory.:)

Sounds like you're getting a few of the common problems with a 540 all at once!!

• Like 1

I had mine done a few years ago, theres a bmw workshop in town that has the lifetime fluid in their trans flush machine, budget at least $300, but when i did mine it was worth every dollar. You can / should drop the sump pan off the box and chuck in a new filter and gasket at the same time, only another $60 or so from memory. :)

Sounds like you're getting a few of the common problems with a 540 all at once!!

Cheers for that :) Do you remember which workshop it was?

I think it's my luck.. I tend to have everything go wrong with cars, all at once. Same thing happened with the E38 haha. In about the space of a month fuel pump went, starter motor went, bushes needed to be replaced, rotors warped so needed to be done, and then someone smashed the front and back bumper.. yes, all in the space of a month!

So far the list for this car goes:

Radiator Flush

Trans Flush

Ignition Switch Replacement/GM replacement (Whichever one fixes issue, with my luck, will need to do both!)

And then I have had the fuel pump and cam sensor done. Only owned it Monday..

Dont do trans flush, its not good for older trans, tend to find a high percentage of trans failures about 6 month after change, also this will notfix your issue, you could try shudderfix, but likely if its grinding, the lockup clutch is f**ked

To be honest. If u are intending on towing something heavy like a full horse float it would be prudent to do all these measures anyway just incase.

So not a complete waste.

• Like 1

To be honest. If u are intending on towing something heavy like a full horse float it would be prudent to do all these measures anyway just incase.

So not a complete waste.

Exactly what I thought,

Plus I am rather enjoying the challenge it's bringing with it :)

good attitude

Two new problems popped up today (Yipee!..)

- When the trans dips in Revs, and then you plant your foot, takes about 2 seconds before the car reacts. Car was happily hitting 140km + once it got going though. No sounds etc. Seems to only be affected at slow acceleration. (NOTE: Not on public road, I am lucky enough to have my own private tar seal 2km track I use)

- Windscreen wipers would pause mid wipe, and then work when they wanted too. I looked pretty fly driving down the street with my hand out trying to get the rain off haha.

What would cause such a delay in reaction..

EXCELLENT attitude. You know... the manual transmissions are bullet proof. Consider it an investment ;)

Haha, might need to sell the furniture to pay for that one ;)

Then again, with the way this car is slowly falling apart on me.. never know

If the wipers are on the first stage it should be rain sensing. I am.told those units can cause issues

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

If the wipers are on the first stage it should be rain sensing. I am.told those units can cause issues

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Rain sensing only works when the Nav/Radio etc all start working. Apart from that, you flick it up one, it either doesn't go at all, or it's got an attitude about it.. The different settings for the first stage also don't work, unless Nav/Radio working.

My guess is (minus trans issue) that there is only one issue, causing my entire car to laugh at me, one little bit at a time.

Edit: Sorry forgot to add only 'one' issue

Edited by Amber-Leigh

Did u buy that through a private seller or dealer? If I were you i'll bring it back, if im not mistaken u have only had it for a week? Im not sure if the consumer guarantee act applies to that but do check! I swear that will cost u a lot of money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont really know about the E39 much, but when all sorts of things go crazy at once on E34 its usually the General Module playing up, maybe not clipped in correctly etc

Did u buy that through a private seller or dealer? If I were you i'll bring it back, if im not mistaken u have only had it for a week? Im not sure if the consumer guarantee act applies to that but do check! I swear that will cost u a lot of money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even a week, and on the first day it spent it's time at Hellbm as it stalled the night I brought it home.

It was done privately.. when I txt the fella about issues, he said car worked 100% when he had it, and is blaming all the issues on me (right...)

Is partially my fault for not getting it scanned/checked, but even then, only cam sensor/fuel pump was done and I was happy to spend money on that, being only minor issues.

But now everything seems to be going on it, well all the typical E39 issues.

But I'm not going to complain, just taking it as a learning curve and in the end, I did get it dirt cheap...

This is why women do not purchase cars.

We fail at it.

i dont really know about the E39 much, but when all sorts of things go crazy at once on E34 its usually the General Module playing up, maybe not clipped in correctly etc

That and ignition switch replacement on are the list of 'to do's'

My list seems to be growing everyday...

The wiper relays are pretty crappy too. After the Ign switch, look there if it still does it.

• Like 1

The wiper relays are pretty crappy too. After the Ign switch, look there if it still does it.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan, cheers :)