Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

E46 330ci vs E39 540i

Guys

Looking for your views on the E46 330ci and E39 540i, I'm wanting something to enjoy as a second car probably only used on weekends.

Plus something that I can modify when cash allows, ie suspension, wheels etc etc

Any views on Alcantara vs Leather?

Cheers

Paul

Considering the M versions are 3x the price your bank account might be wishing you hadn't bought one.

They both got their advantages but a manual transmission would be at the top of my list regardless. In my experience its always auto's that have always left me wishing, hence ive never kept one for very long.

I love them both..
But all depends on what you are after - Big V8 that can up and go when it wants, or a sporty sort 6cylinder that can also boogie when it wants to.

Having a small family myself, E39 540i - big, but got the grunt to take you on a bit of fun buzz when you want to open her up.

E46 330i is a super nice shape, with a decent size engine to compliment the fair figure. However I do personally think what it does lack in 'space' it makes up for in the comfort of travelling in such a smaller car.

You can't really go wrong with either, E39 is convenient in a few more ways (for me anyway)

Mods wise, well they both look amazing when 'done up'..

Thanks all, plenty of auto choices (as manuals are quite rare at present), so probably edging towards the smaller 330ci, although I do like the idea of a V8.

Thanks all, plenty of auto choices (as manuals are quite rare at present), so probably edging towards the smaller 330ci, although I do like the idea of a V8.

Just drop a V8 into the E46ci Body - sorted :)

Last year i was in a simular position, e39 or e46 and went with 330. I found the e39 a bit to big for what I wanted and got a sweet price on the e46. I think theres more aftermarket support in NZ for the e46 but could be wrong.

May need to save up for a manual conversion...

Ive got an 540i. Would get a 330ci. If i could but would pay for a manual personally

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Owed both .. 330i is a lot more sporty in the twistys and you can really through them around. However the 540 has the power over the 330.

Get a true motorsport in either model if your wanting it for a fun car.

330 for twisties.

540 for open road.