Sign in to follow this  
KwS

E36 M3 Resto-mod.

Okay, finally got around to it. I have only received the car today, so information is a little light. I have posted a thread on another forum im more active on, so will copy and paste the bulk from there to get this rolling.

This wont so much be a build thread, as a record of any work done and a general diary of the car.

The car is a 1994 (Late 93 build) NZ New BMW M3 (E36, 3.0 PFL).

All the usuals,

3.0L S50B30 engine (Euro spec, ITB, Vanos, 210kw)

5 Speed manual with LSD

Vader seats (in uncommon ///M Cloth/Alcantra)

M3 suspension and brake upgrades

Motorsport bodykit (like half the other E36s around)

So all in all, its a big engine, in a lightish car that looks like every other 318i POS on the road.

Its taken a while from me seeing it on tardme, to actually getting the ball rolling. The current owner has owned the car for 10 years, and in this time he has recorded a pretty decent list of preventative maintenance. The car is in Auckland so ill be getting it trucked down as i dont have time to head up and get it. Big thanks to (CSET) on here for viewing the car on my behalf, and writing up a huge, in depth "inspection" with photos. Its getting a new WOF on monday and then ill have a truck there to pick it up and drop it off at work.

So, whats the plan? A general tidy up, and some minor modifications.

What needs doing?

Front fog lamps are damaged

Ac doesnt work (AC clutch)

Heater stuck on cold (heater valves)

Fuel flap doesnt close (spring)

Various window seals aged/worn

Wheels oxidised

Front lip damaged

///M3 badge faded

Sagging glove box

Missing tools in tool kit

Most things are fairly simple or just cosmetic. Only real majors will be replacing the Ac clutch (PITA to get at) and replacing the heater valves takes a bit of time.

Ill be looking to replace the wheels as they are in pretty average condition. Would love another set of CSL reps like my old E36 had, but it can be hard to find good ones now. I even like the E36 on the E46 Motorsport wheels. A set of BBS LM would be tops too.

My old E36 (18" CSL reps)

DSC01843_zps0b3ab40b.jpg

Pictures from the seller of the M3 and a couple from CSET

289248131_zps86c11282.jpg

289247763_zps5f6192e6.jpg

289247818_zps439818b1.jpg

289247860_zps53c830a1.jpg

289247701_zpsb85b80be.jpg

20140326_180121_zps38a12a56.jpg

20140326_175855_zps80cca21b.jpg

289248246_zps2c8f24b1.jpg

Plates didnt come with the car.

• Like 1

Also going to fit an arm rest, as this was the single most awesome mod i did to my last E36.

All other work will be resto-mod, and the car will be kept in almost OE condition as there is little i can do to an M3 to improve it. Little things like a new gearknob and boot, and maybe change to a 3spoke steering wheel. Also looking at fitting some other OE stuff like rear PDC, and a rear manual sun blind.

The current radio isnt OE, but its Alpine, and is about as old as the car/period so unless its complete arse, or doesnt work, itll stay. Has a sweet in dash CD changer, lol.

On an unrelated note, spent some money on the car before it has even arrived. ETA for car is Thursday.

Purchased a complete arm rest, a pair of fog lights (current ones are burnt?), and a new heater valve to fix the heater. HellBM in Auckland has EVERYTHING a BMW would ever need. Probably arrive at the same time as the car lol.

And right up to today.

So, its finally arrived. Its rattly, tatty and generally just a bit average here and there.... but it really doesnt matter. As soon as you turn the key, and the exhaust barks out its note, you forget about all that.
Its been ages since i had a decent, large displacement engine to play with, and wow, what a difference having torque makes. Chuck it in 3rd at 80kph, and stomp the gas. It pushes you back in your seat and up the needle goes.
It drives very well, so smooth and stable at 100kph, its almost egging you on to put the hammer down and double the digits.
Its not as tidy as my old red one, but that was pretty clean (and 80,000km). Yet this drives better and feels less flogged. Likely something to do with the mountains of receipts the previous owner has kept, including things like drilled brake rotors, braided lines, bilstein shocks, new bushes, new clutch, all new coils, new headlining, new alcantra panels on seats. Big money spent in the past 10 years (and big money spent 10 years ago buying it for $24500).
Theres a bit more that needs doing than anticipated, but i kinda expected some of it as its the usual E36 stuff. All the exterior rubbers need replacing (rear window, rear quarter windows, door handles), and ill need to change the diff and trans oils to see if it fixes a couple of things (whine in first gear, which is common and usually helped by good fluid. Also a thumping from the diff whilst turning at low speed, which i suspect is the plates binding due to crap/old/wrong fluid/no friction modifier).
All electrics appear to work, other than the heater and AC (known before purchase). Seats are comfortable and very supportive. Strangely the big bus 4 spoke steering wheel feels right to use, just needs a real good clean. I found the same in my red E36, which had the same wheel.
Glovebox is stuffed, so will need replacement at some point. It still shuts and stays shut. Fuel flap spring needs tweaking to keep it shut.
Gearknob, gearboot and handbrake lever are worn. Still functional but a bit ugly for my OCD, so will replace at some point. Interior is pretty tidy otherwise, with no major damage or excess wear.
Vanos is noisy occasionally at start up, and according to the paperwork this has been ongoing since around 2000. I also suspect it might be the cause of a noise heard when accelerating around 1800rpm (but could also be heat shield vibration). Will look at what it takes to rebuild the vanos. Should gain some power rebuilding it too.
Got home after dark, so no photos today. Plus, its pretty filthy after being on a truck for a day or two. If the whether behaves ill give it a clean this weekend, otherwise we will have to settle for "untidy" pics for now.
Despite all this, i love it.

Agreed on the CSL reps, perhaps with a little persistence and panel massaging a genuine set could be made to fit? :)

Lol, i dont have real CSL wheel kind of money. Reps will be fine. Plus, the genuines are 19", which IMO is just too big on an E36. Even the 18s were borderline.

The diff noise will be wrong oil. Mine started doing that too when I changed it to the redline shockproof range which isn't designed for lsds as it turns out. Got the correct castrol stuff from BMW, only place you can buy it at $30 a litre, and went away pretty quick.

Mine was a bit ruff when I got it too but she's come up pretty good.

Ha, yeah he was an international pilot.

Not a lot of options, but i guess thats due to all the factory fitted M3 gear. Plus, NZ New.... never seen an NZ new one with many options (tight first buyers?).

bmwarchive_org_ea66507_zpsa70fad0d.jpg

just purchased these off ebay. Should go nicely with the ZHP gearknob ill be getting.

!BdnhCPQ!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-CUErggpLc,(BK5vK+q

ZHP Knob (shorter and heavier than standard. Obviously the one i will get have the 5spd pattern)

418802_x800.jpg

Haha that's the same setup as mine! Except I got an alcantara set too which I like better. Oh and my zhp is illuminated :)

Where did you get the illuminated ZHP from? I can only find part number for the non-illuminated one, and retrofitting the lights yourself?

Edited by KwS

Right, big update is big.

So, today is gave the M3 a decent clean, and then rolled it into the garage. Fixed the fuel flap that didnt shut (turned the spring upside down, thus creating more tension). Also pulled out the fog lights, and found that the burnt look is caused by a stick on "protector" on the lights. This has overheated and melted causing the blackening. Managed to heat it up, pull it off and then removed the sticky sh*t. Lenses are, unsurprisingly, perfect. Refit them and away i went.

I then went crazy. I noticed when drying the paint that it felt like sandpaper. So i proceeded to claybar the whole car. Now it feels like glass. I also noted the paint on the boot was oxidising, so i cracked out the DA and some Ultimate Compound, and fixed it.

I then proceeded to DA wax the whole car. What a long day.

PICS!

DSC05859_zpscb10bfa5.jpg

DSC05871_zps2cc25278.jpg

Zorst.

DSC05861_zpsd31f48ba.jpg

Faded badge

DSC05865_zps93776a91.jpg

Ugly stuff

DSC05867_zpsf3bc0d3e.jpg

DSC05868_zpsa88b1831.jpg

DSC05869_zpsf103fb7c.jpg

DSC05874_zpse6ca10a0.jpg

DSC05875_zps361936cd.jpg

DSC05873_zpsfae3dc49.jpg

DSC05870_zps6031858b.jpg

Interior

DSC05879_zps28579c15.jpg

DSC05877_zps73651189.jpg

Engine

DSC05880_zps9aaaf743.jpg

DSC05881_zpsa6eff593.jpg

The paint is in pretty good shape over all, and the body is very straight. Only a couple of little marks here and there.

Pulled the foglights out, UGLY!

DSC05886_zps7834d330.jpg

DSC05885_zps97c1dd95.jpg

Sans foglights

DSC05884_zps4f7a468a.jpg

Pulled the covers off

DSC05887_zps8bcad784.jpg

Desolved the glue and nice and clean

DSC05890_zps09170caf.jpg

DSC05889_zps3a4ddd0e.jpg

DSC05891_zps20e33d7f.jpg

Back together

DSC05892_zps679a33a6.jpg

DSC05893_zps02eb5f59.jpg

Flipped the spring

DSC05894_zpsd2a6a008.jpg

DSC05897_zps5c13dc62.jpg

And some shots of the paint. its not too bad, just some swirls and light marking.

DSC05902_zpsb74cf152.jpg

DSC05903_zps7590ccda.jpg

DSC05904_zps36243619.jpg

After ultimate compound

DSC05898_zpsbb8e6a80.jpg

DSC05900_zpsd6598334.jpg

The wax is drying right now, so no more pics tonight but ill take her out for some pics tomorrow.

The diff noise will be wrong oil. Mine started doing that too when I changed it to the redline shockproof range which isn't designed for lsds as it turns out. Got the correct castrol stuff from BMW, only place you can buy it at $30 a litre, and went away pretty quick.

Mine was a bit ruff when I got it too but she's come up pretty good.

Good to know. I used redline when I swapped the LS pumpkin into the 3.15 for the manual swap. Can hear the plates binding while cornering at medium - low speeds. Have seen Castrol LSD oils available at Repco (!) of late, is the stuff available thru BMW labelled as SAF-XJ or just 75w-140? :) Am wanting the SAF-XO if it's available anywhere.

Apologies to OP for thread jack

Where did you get the illuminated ZHP from? I can only find part number for the non-illuminated one, and retrofitting the lights yourself?

Ive got a kit for one i pulled out of an old gear knob if you want it, was more a reddish orange iirc

I got mine off ebay. Just some guy that converts them.

And diff fluid, I'm pretty sure it's the saf-xj with the built in friction modifier. I just brought in a container and asked for 2l

Also great progress! Such a huge difference with a good polish and wax

The illuminated one is the F10 M5 ZHP gear knob. I got mine from GetBMWParts but think that Modbargains and Turner Motorsport also have. In a rush out the door, will get link later if you haven't found it.

Seriously take my hat off to people like yourself who have the balls in the first place to buy a rough car bring these things back from certain death.

Good stuff man, need more people like you in the world :)

The illuminated one is the F10 M5 ZHP gear knob. I got mine from GetBMWParts but think that Modbargains and Turner Motorsport also have. In a rush out the door, will get link later if you haven't found it.

Couldn't find a link but I think this is the part number for it. 25112284205

And i present to you, for your viewing pleasure, my M3.

DSC05907_zps3829d735.jpg

DSC05908_zps9af68dc6.jpg

DSC05909_zpsadfb19f4.jpg

DSC05910_zpsd7f1779b.jpg

DSC05911_zpsca857887.jpg

DSC05912_zpscdffaea5.jpg

DSC05913_zps96aaf661.jpg

DSC05914_zpscdcdc655.jpg

DSC05917_zpsf2a848e2.jpg

DSC05919_zps729641be.jpg

DSC05921_zps6013f789.jpg

DSC05923_zps3b86649e.jpg