Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Potential bargain or headache?

Mother of god.

At least you could have given it some dignity and posted the Fairmont Ghia version.

But still incorrect, that car "competed" with the E38. Ford was into the BA buy the time the E65 was released. And the BA is a reasonably smart looking car.

In any case, they are more likely to be compared with the 5 series anyways. E39 and E60

Or the XR versions.

AU finished in 02, BA started, same as E65?

Think you'll find the Falcon is more 7 size than 5.

Or the XR versions.

AU finished in 02, BA started, same as E65?

Think you'll find the Falcon is more 7 size than 5.

Probably more Fairlane size as they sit on the station wagon chassis from memory.

I think the E65 started in 2001?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Worth a punt if it's cheap enough so you don't care if it blows up. Probably not in that category yet though...

When I was a student at Otago (nearly 10 years ago) a good mate bought a 88 750il travelled 300kms as bit of a laugh for $2k thinking he would have heaps of fun until the next WOF then scrap it... He had it for more than 3 years and from memory only did a couple of oil changes and put on one new tyre for a WOF, then sold it and got his $2k back!

was this the days when student loans got paid out in a lump sum? no uni student i know has 2k lying around, luck to have $20!

E32 750il aren't too complex and were built to last, the E65 is the opposite.

was this the days when student loans got paid out in a lump sum? no uni student i know has 2k lying around, luck to have $20!

Not the good old days with the annual lump sum payment but I remember you got up to $1k "course related costs" - Dick Smith etc used to get so sick of students asking for quotes they had a stack of pre printed quotes for new laptops sitting on the counter

That 20 is spent on piss lol

Then again an 7'er of the same era doesn't look like this either. Feast your eyes on the magnificence..

ford-falcon-forte-3rd-series-view-downlo

Yep... Deffo looks better than the E65! :ph34r:

E32 750il aren't too complex and were built to last, the E65 is the opposite.

still expensive to sort out/keep on top of though. spent about 2500 or so on my engine alone over last year or two. Mind you its pretty straight now, won't be spending anything on it for a couple years at least now apart from oil changes etc

Run a scan on that e65. Every single module. Clear any codes, see what comes back after operating every single electronic device. Then make your decision.

still expensive to sort out/keep on top of though. spent about 2500 or so on my engine alone over last year or two. Mind you its pretty straight now, won't be spending anything on it for a couple years at least now apart from oil changes etc

Guess it depends on your definition, to me they aren't expensive on the grand scale of things. Ive probably spent 1.5k on my M30 doing the same type of thing as you.

The e65 in the first post is a Singapore import (first clue is the basic Heater Panel installed). My E38 was a Singapore import and I had to spend a fortune replacing everything made of plastic/rubber and also the engine wiring loom because of the heat/humidity. I can't imagine what the Singapore heat and humidity would do to a car like the E65, especially a 2001/02 model that wasn't exactly known for a stable electrical system to begin with.

The other problem you'll run into is that it is very common in Singapore to leave your car running when parked so that you can keep the AC going so the KMs shown will likely only be a fraction of the time the engine has actually spent running.

In my opinion you'd be better off getting the $6k in $1/$2 coins, put them in a pillowcase and have someone smack you in the nuts with it. It'd be way less painful in the long run.

• Like 2

In my opinion you'd be better off getting the $6k in $1/$2 coins, put them in a pillowcase and have someone smack you in the nuts with it. It'd be way less painful in the long run.

I think that has to be near the top for quote of the year....

• Like 1

I think that has to be near the top for quote of the year....

Yep, I think we have a winner. Perhaps two pillow cases (one for each plum) but with 10cent pieces instead.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

The e65 in the first post is a Singapore import (first clue is the basic Heater Panel installed). My E38 was a Singapore import and I had to spend a fortune replacing everything made of plastic/rubber and also the engine wiring loom because of the heat/humidity. I can't imagine what the Singapore heat and humidity would do to a car like the E65, especially a 2001/02 model that wasn't exactly known for a stable electrical system to begin with.

The other problem you'll run into is that it is very common in Singapore to leave your car running when parked so that you can keep the AC going so the KMs shown will likely only be a fraction of the time the engine has actually spent running.

Outstanding.

You need to post more