Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Potential bargain or headache?

seems to good to be true

Yeah but on the other hand, the 70-150kms 735i models are between 10-12k roughly.

I would run away quite frankly.

Depends what you're wanting but a 6k 7er limo is not going to be problem free.

You'd need to overhaul the suspension, and various electrics, and contend with any engine issues.

Not exactly fun motoring...

With such a car you're better off spending twice as much for a good one with full service history. IMO anyhow.

Yep, I wonder how much has been spent on this car to date with maintenance/repairs..

My headache comes from just looking at it..

But with those high K's, I would skip a few miles away...

• Like 1

Are you a masochist Clinton ??

• Like 3

Depends on the service history .. mine just ticked over 280k but had full service history thru BMW since nz new

• Like 1

I spoke to Ray at HellBM and his advice was .. ignore the kms and drive it. If you know cars, like cars, owned a few cars, you can gauge if a car is solid or not. A car with 100kms can be more of a risk than one with 300kms. It all depends on maintenance.

Properly serviced engines will run almost forever. At a previous job at a Honda wreckers it was tradition at Christmas to run an engine to death. It was a 1.5L sohc Honda engine and we just kept it at redline for half an hour. When it didn't pop, we drained the oil out and ran it dry for another 15 mins at redline before it finally gave up.

If the engine has been well maintained then its just suspension which you need to look at. Bushings everywhere, shocks brakes etc

Then there is the paint and interior. If they check out then high kms isn't an automatic dismissal.

• Like 1

I remember Glenn once saying they were all expensive to repair. Last year when I was looking a sub 100km745i nz new was $15k ish.

Run.

Possibly a cheapish source of parts for a conversion package?

Edit: Ohhh wait - just realised it's the 3.5. Poo :(

Edited by Ahmedsinc

don't forget, you can have all the service history you like.

Things like window regulators, idrive failures, headlight actuators... etc, they all still break.

and when they do, $$$$$

they are still a $200k car even if the window card doesn't say that anymore

• Like 1

Exactly. The k's of engine would be the least of my concern (like every car)

Should be enough to keep an auto electrician busy for at least 2 months.

I spoke to Ray at HellBM and his advice was .. ignore the kms and drive it. If you know cars, like cars, owned a few cars, you can gauge if a car is solid or not. A car with 100kms can be more of a risk than one with 300kms. It all depends on maintenance. Properly serviced engines will run almost forever. At a previous job at a Honda wreckers it was tradition at Christmas to run an engine to death. It was a 1.5L sohc Honda engine and we just kept it at redline for half an hour. When it didn't pop, we drained the oil out and ran it dry for another 15 mins at redline before it finally gave up.If the engine has been well maintained then its just suspension which you need to look at. Bushings everywhere, shocks brakes etc Then there is the paint and interior. If they check out then high kms isn't an automatic dismissal.

OT, but did you use to work at Strongs?

The E65 was not one of BMW's best cars, infact far from it.

Yes a well built, well specced, very nice drive car BUT VERY complex with plenty to go wrong, & often does.

The problem is that these are now nearly 15 yr old flagship cars that are now selling for not much.

Doesn't change the fact that they are still very complex cars & have so much to potentally go wrong - & this is reflected in their repair costs.

Often purchased by someone that can just afford to purchase the car, then to find that it is going to cost as much again to fix it.

It is NOT an equivalent Holden or Falcon!

• Like 1

The E65 was not one of BMW's best cars, infact far from it.

Yes a well built, well specced, very nice drive car BUT VERY complex with plenty to go wrong, & often does.

The problem is that these are now nearly 15 yr old flagship cars that are now selling for not much.

Doesn't change the fact that they are still very complex cars & have so much to potentally go wrong - & this is reflected in their repair costs.

Often purchased by someone that can just afford to purchase the car, then to find that it is going to cost as much again to fix it.

It is NOT an equivalent Holden or Falcon!

Then again an 7'er of the same era doesn't look like this either. Feast your eyes on the magnificence..

ford-falcon-forte-3rd-series-view-downlo

Didn't see that 745i, at only 2-4k more I'd rather that being NZ New and 100kms or so less.

Then again an 7'er of the same era doesn't look like this either. Feast your eyes on the magnificence..

ford-falcon-forte-3rd-series-view-downlo

Mother of god.

At least you could have given it some dignity and posted the Fairmont Ghia version.

But still incorrect, that car "competed" with the E38. Ford was into the BA buy the time the E65 was released. And the BA is a reasonably smart looking car.

In any case, they are more likely to be compared with the 5 series anyways. E39 and E60

Mother of god.

At least you could have given it some dignity and posted the Fairmont Ghia version.

But still incorrect, that car "competed" with the E38. Ford was into the BA buy the time the E65 was released. And the BA is a reasonably smart looking car.

In any case, they are more likely to be compared with the 5 series anyways. E39 and E60

Nein nein nein. that pic is the first AU Failcon but the BA started in 02?