Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

CAPTCHA OR WHATEVER THEY ARE

Who was the retard who came with the idea of having a scrambled messages to stop robot computers posting messages and spam. I have tried recently to join two websites. In both instances they used the CAPTCHA or however you spell it. Again in both instances the written scrambled words were illegible. Being very savvy for an old guy I thought the voice method would help overcome any visual impairment I may suffer. In both cases the verbal message sounded like the noise someone would make when they are being strangled. Am I mistaken in thinking the system was developed to keep out robotic and spam messages. Is it to keep normal folks out.

• Like 1

Very true Geoff.

Also, pass the bottle of tequila?

Very hard on partially sighted people also.But get two days of solid spam attack and watch people leave your website in droves. Big money for the first person to find a better solution

I've seen some which present a jigsaw-type picture. Arrange the pieces correctly to complete the 'challenge'; no need to be too precise, either.

Certainly better than trying to decipher the random scribblings of a dyslexic spider walking through multicoloured paint.

Certainly better than trying to decipher the random scribblings of a dyslexic spider walking through multicoloured paint.

:D

I couldn't agree more Geoff, I'm 24 and often struggle with those CAPTCHA messages, some are down right ridiculous... while one word is eligible the other is often a guess at best.

At least there are some more simple versions out there for similar purposes but nothing pains me more on the interweb when a CAPTCHA doodah pops up!

I'm not sure if it still the case, but CAPTCHA isn't as random as it seems. The words/ phrases come from the computers ( and companies ) which are digitising books. The words which you are trying to guess, are words or phrases from scanned text which the computer couldn't make out, or wants confirmation it's guess is correct.

Again, this may not be correct anymore, but that's certainly what it used to do.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it still the case, but CAPTCHA isn't as random as it seems. The words/ phrases come from the computers ( and companies ) which are digitising books. The words which you are trying to guess, are words or phrases from scanned text which the computer couldn't make out, or wants confirmation it's guess is correct.

Again, this may not be correct anymore, but that's certainly what it used to do.

these ones were usually pretty easy, but don't seem be around so much anymore. Its the other ones that are a scribble of multicoloured letters on a background of multicolored scribbles I think people are having trouble with

Sent from my C2 using Tapatalk

In my experience generally if you make a good guess at it, it let's you through. I've done ones where I was wondering wtf it said, got some letters right and others were a jumble. Maybe it's not always "Yes|No" but a 70%+ correct is enough to prove you're human.

these ones were usually pretty easy, but don't seem be around so much anymore. Its the other ones that are a scribble of multicoloured letters on a background of multicolored scribbles I think people are having trouble with

Sent from my C2 using Tapatalk

It's the CAPTCHA "branded" ones that the op is talking about.

It's the CAPTCHA "branded" ones that the op is talking about.

oh right, I just assumed. I usually found the "captcha" ones to be alright

Might be time for some new glasses Geoff? Or maybe fewer Butter Babies before using the PC

Just click the refresh button till you find one you can read.

Some of them are near impossible.