Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Touring to Ute Project

Havent updated for a wee while as I thought id keep the updates to "complete stages"

All tray wall panels have been cut and fitted. Ill be sending these away tomorrow to be blasted and bent, then the will be fitted and trimmed into their fixed positions with rivets and welded in.

Ive also cut most of the flooring out, will update again once they have been blasted and pent to fit.

post-2466-0-98154000-1406578921.png

• Like 2

Looking good.

Is the tray going to be metal, or are you going to go for the hot rod wood style?

haha I might keep the hot rod steel look for the next ute project Im thinking about, but for the E39, it will be flat steel tray with 3 hidden compartments in the middle.

Looking good. I'm jealous of your ability and work rate!

haha well luckily the mrs has been over seas for the last 2 weeks and away for the next 3 weeks, or the work rate might be allot slower.

jebus youre a brave man, that is a hell of a lot of work!

jebus youre a brave man, that is a hell of a lot of work!

Yep, quite a bit of work but luckily the cost so far hasn't been that much haha

So after spending Saturday helping my son Dye his costume black for a school play, I had the idea of trying the Dye out on the interior roof and pillar lining for the Ute. So I have stripped them out and will give them a good clean today. Will upload some photos tomorrow to see how they have come out.

Pack of black dye is about $10 from countdown and makes up to 10L which should be enough. Luckily the interior lining is in good nick and not coming apart - yet

I reckon it will be very difficult to get an even colour (especially with black) on material that's already stretched onto the panels. Probably better to paint it with a proper fabric spray paint like this: http://www.simplyspray.net.nz/#!simply-spray-upholstery-fabric/c17lp

Ah nice. Yea, ill get a bottle of this as well. Will test them on the rear part of the roof lining to see what finishes best. Did you manage to sort some pics out of those parts you have for sale?

Sorry, completely forgot! Will try and do so tonight if I can find them in the tip that was once my shed!

haha no worries. My shed is filled with lady boxes, so I don't even have one

Hi Francois. Walking the dogs around my new neighborhood yesterday I noticed a silver E39 with a blue tent over it. After literally reading your build thread the day before, I couldn't help but recognise the project.

• Like 1

haha yes, that would be the one. Massive blue tent over it with tools and what nots too.

pitched blue tent over the back gave it away. I'd be keen to take alook if you ever need a extra hand with anything hit me up.

I thought it was just another Auckland murder crime scene.

• Like 1

Well ill be making the most of Saturday to get the rear finished (minus the rear window) so feel free to pop on over.

And I guess you could say that the "project" is just a cover up to hid the blood stains on the driveway...

but on another note, Brent Jedi Mind tricked me into getting this...

post-2466-0-10134100-1407360683.jpg

wow jedi mind tricks havent listened to them in ages. cheers for a reminder! haha

what headunit is that?? doesnt look like oem bmw?

• Like 1

Is an A-SURE AE39. Not oem, but plug direct into the ECU, Wiring Systems, CanBus etc Can control and diagnose everything from it. Its actually a pretty sweet little unit.

I had an A-Sure unit in my old 528i. Great little unit for the money (think I paid about US$350 from Hong Kong), at the time they didn't have OBC functionality so I didn't bother swapping into my 540i. Good to know they have OBC functions now - great bang for buck.

Started the tail gate and finished up on the wiring relocation and de looming. Made up a new ground point using a bolt hole for the old seat belts.
Just need to build the new battery box with 1 farad capacitor holder, then will test that I haven't messed anything up.

Teaser taken during tailgate fabrication

post-2466-0-17501800-1407719589_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-70862800-1407719682_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-23678300-1407719691_thumb.jp

Looking good. Will you track down a motorsport rear bumper for it or keep it standard?

(Since you've lost the spare wheel anyway an Msport rear, M5 diffuser and quad exhaust would suit IMO ;)).