Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Touring to Ute Project

I enjoy the body prep, it is all adding to the final product. Masking just gets binned after hours of work!!

Laying paint is my favourite bit of the process. :)

I agree, I enjoy some of the body prep work, I just know I have about 20 hours of sanding and grinding ahead haha but will be good to see how it starts transforming the detail.

Peeling off the masking tape at the end is my favorite bit. ^_^

• Like 2

Wish I had the space and equipment to paint. Would love to return the 8 back to red (or something wilder) but massive $$$ for a decent job now that it's been painted black. I'd happily spend days masking if it meant affordable painting!!!

If I were to do your car, it would not require too much masking as I would virtually strip it down to a shell. Anything less would not do justice to the car and would devalue it. Nobody wants to see traces of the old colour lurking in engine bays etc...

• Like 1

She's a big job painting a car properly. It's why it costs so much.

Westy was talking about paintbooths in the weekend. Needing one to use to do all of our paint jobs in :D

• Like 1

Most intense build thread I have ever seen in my life. You sir, are insane :D

Look good!

If I were to do your car, it would not require too much masking as I would virtually strip it down to a shell. Anything less would not do justice to the car and would devalue it. Nobody wants to see traces of the old colour lurking in engine bays etc...

haha yea the masking is ONLY for the Bed / Deck Liner going in this weekend. And yes, will defiantly be taking it back to shell before prepping it for primer.

Most intense build thread I have ever seen in my life. You sir, are insane :D

Look good!

Thanks :) I was actually rendering some photos for another website im building and I couldn't believe the amount of work that's been done AND that's still to be done. But baby steps

She's a big job painting a car properly. It's why it costs so much.

ah sh*t yes it is, hence why I wont be painting it, especially for the colour I want. Amber has the colour sample at CarFolie of the colour im after, so if I cant get it painted in that colour, it will be wrapped.

Westy was talking about paintbooths in the weekend. Needing one to use to do all of our paint jobs in :D

Not a bad idea, im actually opening a "workshop" next year in Mount Wellington and I already have a paint booth, needs some TLC and I have to get it brought up from my cousins workshop in Gordonton, but once its up and going with fans and heat lights, will probably rent it out to BimmerSport members.

Convert a corner of Rays workshop....

ps, I just figured out how to use the MultiQuote thingy...

• Like 2

Few hours spent sanding and grinding the surface rust away (Even with a mask, my nostrils are blocked pretty dang well, smells like man and metal). Then went over with a scrubber sponge and meths. Wiped down with some watered-down rust converter then once dry, a few rough coats of primer to help identify all imperfections that need to be fixed before Saturday, hopefully there aren't too many to do.
Will give it a decent wet sand on Friday.

Have also ordered some decent heating lamps from JA Russell, those should arrive over the next few days along with 3L of Hippo Deck Liner.

post-2466-0-12974000-1418109454.jpg

post-2466-0-27526700-1418109460.jpg

post-2466-0-59450000-1418109466.jpg

• Like 2

Tell me youre doing a timber insert down the centre....

ummm, not quite Timber. Will be 3 stainless lift trays :)

Ahaha you are so scum

Not much of an update, since im waiting till Saturday to get the deck liner and rubber strips done. So decided to start on the tail gate. Quite a bit of rust had to be cut out and grinded out. then sprayed a few coats of rust converter after getting it to bare metal.

Will spend most of tomorrow shaping the body filler to the flow of the tailgate and then install the lock (hopefully it works)

Last time the beasty will see the 528i badge...

post-2466-0-30594300-1418274014.jpg

post-2466-0-68788700-1418274028.jpg

post-2466-0-44491700-1418274040.jpg

post-2466-0-29238400-1418274054.jpg

So went to start on the deck liner only to remember (or actually got reminded from a mate) that my ute doesn't have the wavy strips most utes have, so off we went to try track down something that would work....AAANNNDDD we found 3m strips of carpet liner door stoppers, which actually work pretty damn well. Price was a little steep at $45 a strip and I needed almost 15meters. Drilled a few holes and used some flat head screws to slide into the strips and hold it into place.

NOW hopefully I can get the deck liner on over the next few days.

Also picked up a M5 rear bumper from Ray@HellBM today, plan is to mutate the standard touring and M5 sedan into one.

post-2466-0-75116300-1418623471.jpg

post-2466-0-42840600-1418623484.jpg

post-2466-0-51262000-1418623501.jpg

post-2466-0-76810900-1418623520.jpg

post-2466-0-77846000-1418623719_thumb.jp

Edited by FrancoisPV
  • Like 2

Great initiative on the strips. Coming together well!

Thanks man, totally forgot about them. Hopefully it comes out the way I have it my brains mind

Did the deck liner yesterday and today. That stuff is a total bitch to work with. Hopefully it comes out okay. Few spots need to be touched up I think, but if it doesn't come out any good. Ill get my painter to fix it up when it goes in for paint.

Think the mix was slightly to thick for my air compressor and guns. First gun clogged up, second gun splattered some of the mix every now and then...

...liquid tar

post-2466-0-28315700-1419052815.jpg

post-2466-0-25183500-1419052827.jpg

post-2466-0-97497700-1419052927.jpg

post-2466-0-81547000-1419052941.jpg

post-2466-0-41591400-1419052952.jpg

• Like 2

first one was a 40psi med-high pressure one from Bunnings (yep, the below medium priced one) then used my new one from mitre 10 (supposedly heavy duty up to 80psi) this gun works pretty good with regular paint, but not this stuff.

When I put the tuff liner in my ute it came withs own gun that screwed into the cans of liner since it's only really a one time use and had a massive Nossle so it wouldn't clog and let all the chunky bits get through. What product did you use?

Used the gator liner product. It works well if you have a decent compressor. Mine doesnt pump enough juice to spray that kind of thickness.

On the other hand, we tested th heavy duty gun at my mates shop with the liner and it worked well. Over all, they liner came out okay. Mate will do a few more coats when he sprays the ute next month.

Guns attached :)

post-2466-0-68403300-1419156340_thumb.jp

• Like 1