Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

One Series things to look for when purchasing

Looking for a one series and noticed a lot of the imports have had rotors and pads replaced at very early mileages.

This seems odd or are they a known weak point.

I currently own a m54 e39 so aware of the radiator /water pump /fuel pump/vanos things but are there any known weakness specific to the one series.

Still tossing up between the 130 or 120 and know nothing of the 4 cylinder engines apart from the advice from ex bmw mechanic who sold me the e39 that talked me out of the 4 cyl at the time and seemed to know what he was talking about.

Early impressions of test drives of 120 seems noisy and works hard compared to the effortless smooth quiet of my 525 but i guess thats the price of going downwards and guess you learn to live with it.Can't be any worse than an Audi or other 4 cyl alternative. Autos have More gears, may save fuel but seem to be quite annoying in reality.

For 99% of my daily running the e39 525 is ridiculously thirsty but although unscientific the fuel ratings for the 130 are listed as same or better than the 120

Anyone care to enlighten me with advice

Edited by kwhelan

The rotors and pads change will be due to compliance. Every rotor has a manufacturer's minimum thickness stamped on it - they still work ok at much thinner, but because it is stated by the maker the rotors must be above that to comply.

I had to put new rotors on buth my cars when I brought them in, even though there was nothing wrong in terms of the old ones working.

Have a chat to Paul (Kiwi 535) he owns a 1 series should have some helpful info. As Jon mentioned seems to be a compliance thing with certain makes to have to replace the rotor's, pads etc

Tensioners on the smaller motor ones.

If your in the market get in touch ive got, a 118, 2 120's and a 130 (6 speed).

> Kevin.... don't by a petrol 4 cylinder N46 powered vehicle. The motors are the most unreliable and wallet emptier 's that BMW have ever produced. They are basically a water and oil recycling pump. The diesels and 6 cylinder versions are very much more reliable and more on par with the experience you should get owning a BMW

I think the general recommendation is that the 4cyl petrol motors arent BMW's best work. The 6cyl will he much smoother.

Does Paul still have his 120D for sale? It would be revolutionary if you think the 525 fuel economy is a bit heavy...

Edit: or just listen to Glenn....

Edited by elmarco

Thanks for the replys looks like the 4cyl haven't improved since I was looking at the e39 series then so thats made up my mind,Do like the sound of 130i but yet to find one to test.

Drove a one owner low kms 120 diesel today and was really impressed,that low take off idle rattle takes a bit to get used too but once moving you don't hear it. Sadly unimpressed with the cheap plastic interior no better than wifes VW ,plastic seems to have some sort of cover that scratches off like a wax and looks terrible. Roof lining etc is just cheap fugly.

BTW can you turn off that auto door locking thing when you drive off, what a pain in A$$

If it has iDrive you can turn on/off the auto-locking function in there. For those without iDrive you can turn the auto-lock feature off/on using the OBC in the cluster.

As far as the interior quality goes, you are buying a Golf competitor or effectively a German Civic/Corolla so expect an interior with a fair amount of plastic. The upside is that the six cylinder versions are generally fun to drive and are pretty well balanced.

I was looking into 130i as well. Wondering if there is much diff between say a 2006 and a 2009?

I chose a Mk5 Golf GTI over the 1 Series, seemed to be a better car overall and Jeremy Clarkson thought so too.

But I got sick of the road noise, ended up with another E39, all those smaller cars are cheap and plasticy when it comes to refinement etc.

The 1 and 3 series models can't compare to the 5 Series build quality and refinement wise.

How much fuel will you really save? I can't imagine much.

Yes agreed Charles Fuel wouldn't be enough to cover the losses involved in changing cars,depreciation,common faults /improvements you have already fixed on your own car and even just a tow bar. Mines lowered with large 19s and Im getting bit old to be crawling over every speed bump and gutter but Im so used to leather and creature comforts maybe I should be looking at E60 or even E90 sixes

BTW I heard those VW/AUDI DSG are $5000 grenades

Edited by kwhelan

Yes agreed Charles Fuel wouldn't be enough to cover the losses involved in changing cars,depreciation,common faults /improvements you have already fixed on your own car and even just a tow bar. Mines lowered with large 19s and Im getting bit old to be crawling over every speed bump and gutter but Im so used to leather and creature comforts maybe I should be looking at E60 or even E90 sixes

BTW I heard those VW/AUDI DSG are $5000 grenades

yeah, an E90 323i, 325i or something, or an E60 530i

Well thats what i'll probably go for next time round.

Yeah I was a little worried about having a DSG Gearbox, but had a mechanical warranty just in case.

Hey mate, can you send me details on 130 richardpaul@gmail.com

Tensioners on the smaller motor ones.

If your in the market get in touch ive got, a 118, 2 120's and a 130 (6 speed).

Facelift 1 series interiors are way better than early ones and in my opinion better than Golf.