Sign in to follow this  
earon

BMW M4 ..thoughts?

What's the general perception with the new M4/M3 guys?

Here's a link to a review I watched earlier today

Well.

It seems to be an M3.

Well.

It seems to be an M3.

You are obviously mistaken. It is clearly badged a "M4".

You are obviously mistaken. It is clearly badged a "M4".

It's an M3.

Some idiot at BMW typed the wrong number at design point.

M3. M3. M3.

whatever its called its awesome. call it shitbag and its still awesome. i love the colour. its like the upgraded pheonix yellow!!

goodbye high displacement v8s, v10s etc.

The glory days are over.

I'm a fan of forced induction for sure .. its cheap, economical power .. but there will always be that n/a noise which is glorious.

That being said, high compression turbocharged is the way of the future (besides electric cars). It's what I run in my race car .. great response, great power even off boost and you can spool a stupid large turbo faster than you think.

Waiting to see Mercedes and Audi response to the BMW shift to forced induction. Will Audi go back to 2.7L twin turbo V6? Mercedes have already created the C43AMG which is a truly AMAZING engine, check it out, highest power output from a production 4cyl 2L turbocharged engine .. something like 360hp or more ..

Im sure its a great car, but imo welding 2 of the M3s doors shut doesnt justify a whole new model number! Seems like marketing bs. (I still want one) ;)

Im sure its a great car, but imo welding 2 of the M3s doors shut doesnt justify a whole new model number! Seems like marketing bs. (I still want one) ;)

so so so true

with the potential that the 335 or any x35 engine holds, I have great hopes for the forced induction heading of the new BMW m series.

Looking forward to being able to afford one in a decades time.

Been a fan of turbo BMW since a drive of a friends x6m. None of this waiting for 6,000 rpm on my current N/A one. These turbos have oomph from idle.

M4 looks to be a great car. Looking forward to driving one at some stage.

Too big in my opinion. I park next to a 2013 3 series at work.

It is only slightly smaller than my E60. It makes the E92 and E36's that park nearby look small.

Parking my E30 next to it is a real laugh. Twice the damn size.

• Like 1

I like it. I'm still not used to the idea or sound of a turbo on an M car but that will change in time.

Too big in my opinion. I park next to a 2013 3 series at work.

It is only slightly smaller than my E60. It makes the E92 and E36's that park nearby look small.

Parking my E30 next to it is a real laugh. Twice the damn size.

It's lighter than the e46 m3 though.

The M4 just squeaks under the 1500kg (depending on options), but only in manual form, M3 is just a little over and the DCT adds 40kg.

Lots of engineering effort went into reducing the weight, including the CFRP driveshaft which you won't even get to see.

Most of the reports are highlighting the extra pull from low revs of the new turbo engine over the out-going n/a V8. I'm looking forward to doing the comparison!

• Like 1

On the scales in the real world the F80 M3 is pretty similar to an E92 M3, 1615kg:

photo-3+copy.jpg

The M4 is 23kg lighter.

Edited by kinetik

Is that comparison with similar options though? So both cars have nav, climate air-con, adaptive suspension, 19" wheels, etc? Very hard to compare across models as the options can make a bit of a difference to the overall weight.

The other real-world test is if the car "feels" heavier, newer models can often show higher numbers on the scales but seem like they are lighter and more agile from the power delivery and steering responsiveness. An E92 M3 doesn't "feel" any heavier than my E30, as it has more power, better steering and suspension but weighs approx 200kg more!

Don't like how the '4' looks, and the bonnet....

The roundal should be on the bonnet, and the bonnet should have ended across the top of the kidney grills.

[/my 2c aka jealousy]

The numbers on the scales are incomplete and they are in some weirdo units which is not particularly informative.

perhaps you could display all corner weights / axle weights and in units that we use in NZ ?

Point under discussion is the total weight of the car, which is clearly displayed. My post even includes a conversion to kg. Go back and re-read it if you're struggling.

Yea but the legend say left, rear , cross what does that mean ?

where are 'right' weights and whats the cross referring to?? and the percentages what are they referencing ?

Read the manual for the scales. There's enough information displayed to answer the rest of your questions with basic math.

Edited by kinetik

Yea but the legend say left, rear , cross what does that mean ?

where are 'right' weights and whats the cross referring to?? and the percentages what are they referencing ?

I would say the scales are set up for corner weighting a car - so they are showing the balance of the car front to rear and left to right.

The cross would then relate the the FL/RR against FR/LR balance, which is apparently important.

Don't get too hung up on numbers, it's the pants dyno that tells the true story.

Weight is not the issue for me. The size of the car is. I keep mistaking them for 5 series cars.

If I wanted a big car I would get the 5 series. Which is now the size of a 7 series....hmmmm.

BMW seems to be having trouble with this. Must be the guys designing the Mini's getting involved.

Mini in German I think is Landcruiser.

• Like 2

Very true Dan, the cars are getting bigger. The 2 Series Coupe is bigger than an E30, the 3 is now bigger than the early 5s, the X3 is now bigger than the first X5.

But I think this is an industry wide thing, not just BMW, everything seems to be getting bigger, and then a new Micro, Mini, sub-compact segment is introduced at the bottom of the size chart.

Maybe it's because people are growing taller and fatter and need bigger cars? Who knows, because apparently size doesn't matter.