Sign in to follow this  
tangalife

E60 545i buyers guide?

Don't know much about this model so any info, common prob's etc about these? Thinking of upgrading from my E39.

One in particular im looking at is a 2004 545i that's done 169KM's and apparently has worn valve seals, but going what seems pretty cheap for $13k. I imagine 169KM's is getting quite high, mind you my E39 has done 179KM's and other than annoying things starting to fault (windows and door problems lol) runs fine.

Make sure u have some money on the side for repairs or maintenance. Nothing is as good as it first seems.

Why not pay a little more and get one with 1/3rd the k's?

Its still an old car now.. seems to share some suspension parts with the E39.

I thought about buying one, but the back end is too ugly.. although I find they don't look as bad in black.

A facelift Motorsport one I could live with though.

There are always "better" examples. For any car. But this on the OP has mentioned is quite cheap ish. But bear in mind that if something is cheap there must be a reason for it. Pre purchase inspection is always recommended.

Yes only reason I am considering it is because, to me, it seems like a very cheap price and its perhaps an opportunity to own a car I would really like for a deal. Otherwise i'm not concerned. However it does have a valve seal problem which has been estimated at about 3k to fix. Is this a huge issue that needs to be addresed sooner than later? And it seems to be high k's for the model, so I would expect things to start wearing down now, im okay with cheap-moderate expenses and things I can do myself, but its the sudden problems that cost four figures I dont want.

On a modern BMW you are going to pay a grand a visit any time you drive in to get a repair done. Parts are expensive and so is labour. And then there's GST. Your part only needs to cost you $500 before labour and GST will push it out to 4 figures. This is from experience. If you want cheap fixes then yes you can so some things yourself but some times it is easier just to go to an indy.

• Like 1

Find a better example. The only thing cheap about it to me is the price to have the valve stem seals replaced.

But the E60 is a great car. Love mine. Superior in every way to my old E39 540 but still keeps that 5 series feeling you had from the E39.

• Like 1

Yes only reason I am considering it is because, to me, it seems like a very cheap price and its perhaps an opportunity to own a car I would really like for a deal. Otherwise i'm not concerned. However it does have a valve seal problem which has been estimated at about 3k to fix. Is this a huge issue that needs to be addresed sooner than later? And it seems to be high k's for the model, so I would expect things to start wearing down now, im okay with cheap-moderate expenses and things I can do myself, but its the sudden problems that cost four figures I dont want.

Valve stem seals are common on that motor, had all of them done in the X5 (32 i think) NZ new with full history McMillans done it under warrantee for free, but BM Workshop can do it for around 2k with out removing the heads....because its common issue

Valve seals mean you will burn a little oil,and have a smoky exhaust after a period of overun

I would imagine that mechanically it wont be any less durable than a e 39,but you have a more complex car,and more electronics

Yeah and also if your sitting at idle at lights it will be smokey

The E60 is a good car. The looks tend to be a love or hate issue for most people, but IMO they only look right in the darker colours. 169kms isn't that high if the car has been well maintained. I find that most BMWs respond better to being driven and well maintained so I'd prefer a higher mileage example with full service history than a lower mileage one that has had the bare minimum of services. One thing to watch is that the standard service interval on the E60 is 20,000kms which IMO is too long. I looked for a NZ new one where the owner had done his own oil changes in between the dealer intervals and so far mine has been absolutely bullet proof.

The valve stem seals are a common issue, as are alternators and various gaskets and coolant system. Much the same as the E39 really.

The transmission can also be a week point so make sure that the shifts are smooth, especially between 2-1.

169,000 kms at ten years old, and you think that's a high mileage? average 16,900kms per year. nope, that's about right. 10,000kms per year is average low, 20,000kms per year average high.

In Oz 16,900 per year would be considered low.

As for 'good deal' - if you can't afford or are disinclined to buy a 'better' one, you're prolly better off without.

The 545i is said to be a great car, I've been tempted. My mate had one for years, grew tired of it's niggles and repair costs in the end. Seat occupancy mat, steering column sensor, brakes, balljoints - all those modern BMW things. Okay if you're spannering yourself, not so exciting if you're paying someone else.

You'd buy the 4.5 V8 for mile-munching - cruising around the north island. when you consider that, 16,900kms per year is great restraint.

YMMV

Apparently there is a full service history on this

there's one barrier eliminated then! why not pay a good indepenent (from the selection of forum sponsors) for a thorough PPI. Perhaps its priced where it is because most folks are scared of 100k miles, and the vendor wants to sell it.

the suspension setup is pretty trick (compared with, say, my e46) and will run you a bit of coin for a refresh kit from OEM Lemforder. - 4 control arms, endlinks, tie rod ends. The rear looks awesome. some say this is due around 100k mi. Shocks are very reasonable - none of those pesky mcpherson setups.

Brake parts don't look any worse (cost wise) than my e46. it does run an accumulator setup, the pump costs little more than the vacuum booster I just had to replace on my e46.

Assuming the trans is good, and CCV is serviceable (I see there are many aftermarket catch-can kits so perhaps this is an issue), it appears to be one of those cars where one can buy at the right price, lob in about $3-4k of suspension and brake parts, engine mounts, to catch up with wear and mileage-related servicing, and have a well-sorted smooth tight car (moreso than the lower mileage example that will need the same in two years), and it should be good for 8 years with regular servicing, and feels like a $100k car did when new.

I wonder if the electricals are troublesome?

I might have to find one myself.

Surely there are a few contributors here who've owned the e60 545i?

Edited by Olaf

Check engine light is on and a warning triangle showing. I'd definitely get a PPI on that one.

there's one barrier eliminated then! why not pay a good indepenent (from the selection of forum sponsors) for a thorough PPI. Perhaps its priced where it is because most folks are scared of 100k miles, and the vendor wants to sell it.

the suspension setup is pretty trick (compared with, say, my e46) and will run you a bit of coin for a refresh kit from OEM Lemforder. - 4 control arms, endlinks, tie rod ends. The rear looks awesome. some say this is due around 100k mi. Shocks are very reasonable - none of those pesky mcpherson setups.

Brake parts don't look any worse (cost wise) than my e46. it does run an accumulator setup, the pump costs little more than the vacuum booster I just had to replace on my e46.

Assuming the trans is good, and CCV is serviceable (I see there are many aftermarket catch-can kits so perhaps this is an issue), it appears to be one of those cars where one can buy at the right price, lob in about $3-4k of suspension and brake parts, engine mounts, to catch up with wear and mileage-related servicing, and have a well-sorted smooth tight car (moreso than the lower mileage example that will need the same in two years), and it should be good for 8 years with regular servicing, and feels like a $100k car did when new.

I wonder if the electricals are troublesome?

I might have to find one myself.

Surely there are a few contributors here who've owned the e60 545i?

Thanks, thats helpful info!

This is the one in concern:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-752573778.htm

And there is this one $1 reverse, currently at $8k, closing tommorow. Mind you tommorow is way too early to make my decision, especially without a check :|

Edited by tangalife

check out http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/5-series-e60-2003/

Summary of my friend's views having owned one for many years:

- awesome car. likely the best sedan in the world bar an M5. Indicated 32MPG highway running. Spacious & comfortable.

- a few recalls on misc bits; also alternator failure & trans seal issue. ++$ repair. Engine heat damaged xenon headlamp housing, allowing dust in.

- tyres expensive though result a wonderfully balanced car; sometimes tiring with runflats. later cars had better balance.

This thread also has some gems: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478766 - a google on e60 V8 etc will reveal lots of views/experiences.

As you can see, I've found the idea of an e60 V8 a very interesting prospect.

This is the one in concern:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-752573778.htm

And there is this one $1 reverse, currently at $8k, closing tommorow. Mind you tommorow is way too early to make my decision, especially without a check :|

I'd be budgeting for a new set of springs and shocks there. :unsure: How to turn a classy businessman's express into a teenagers ideal of a "car".
you know, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Vendor claim of selling because can't afford the gas? Be cautious of deferred maintenance, IMHO!

Good luck with your search.

I would run away from that one. It doesn't look that well cared for.

The front bumper hasn't just been resprayed. It's been replaced with an aftermarket Motorsport one and it doesn't look like the fog-light grills have been replaced to match. Not a big warning sign, but could also point to other things being half-assed.

It's an import so the iDrive, GPS and Radio won't work unless they have been swapped to an NZ system. About $2-3k to do.

If you can try and find one with the sports/comfort seats (higher and adjustable side bolsters and thigh support) as I find the standard seats too flat and uncomfortable.

Wow these have come down in price! What does that make a tidy e39 facelift 540 worth?

Actually they are a common issue on that motor which is the N62 which has valvetronic. My X5 nz new full history from team bmw still had the problem

Tough decision, will probably pass on it. Im not actually looking to upgrade yet, just saw an opportunity to get a E90 545i for a good price. My partner is actually working with the owner at the moment and alerted me to it.

While I can afford a E60, I am saving for a house so perhaps not a best idea to shell out for pricey cars. Still keen for a change, might list my E39 and look at cheaper models, like a E46 325i or 330i

Edited by tangalife

All valvetronic engines suffer from valve stem seal problems at some point... not just one in particular. You either get lucky...or unlucky