Sign in to follow this  
qube

e39 SLS > normal shocks = cert req?

As per title

E39 touring wagon

Changing over from self leveling suspension to normal shock absorbers does it need cert?

page 9 and 10 of this.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

looks to be a bit of a grey area, but would take it to mean aslong as they are built for the car, that would be fine. However you would need the setup that matches your car, eg you couldnt put a 523i system into a 540i as spring rates would be different etc.

You will also get errors come up on the dash, unless Josh can flash it out for ya :P

You will also get errors come up on the dash, unless Josh can flash it out for ya :P

yea

Id most people wouldn't care but you can get some anal mofos having a cry over things like that . Same people who probably cry over factory manual conversions, certain engine swaps etc.

The sls system still uses normal shock absorbers, are you changing the airsprings for normal coil springs and leaving the shocks, or going to a coil over setup? Pretty sure coilovers would need a cert, not sure about coils with standard shocks.

Not too clued up about this. Just saw a cheap as chips e39 wagon for sale that needs a new sls compressor? Thought it would be easier to swap it out etc.

Not too clued up about this. Just saw a cheap as chips e39 wagon for sale that needs a new sls compressor? Thought it would be easier to swap it out etc.

Would be a lot easier to put in a second hand compressor.

car sold for 2.2k lol. someone got a bargain on a 528i wagon. prob cost less than 1k to get it on the road.

bugger. was that the green wagon from North Shore? Pitty, I have a spare working compressor and the details for the airbag to spring conversion in regards to certs etc

To be honest most places wouldn't have a clue that it was sls unless you take it to a BMW wof place so I'd say you won't need it.