Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 530i crash!

Try http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/ - I use them a lot for hard to get or larger OE parts. They work out pretty cost effectively on the big ticket items such as bumpers, etc.

Cheers.

Whatever parts I can't source locally at the moment I might be getting from Schmiedmann. Getting a plastic m5 front bumper cover from there too for a good price (wanted to avoid any fibre glass replicas as much as I could). They also have some cheap used parts on there such as the metal bumper carrier. Hoping it doesn't take them months to send the stuff to NZ though... few weeks is ok; but not a few months. Will order the parts either tonight or tomorrow after a bit more research.

Edited by Arma

Tis done. Ordered parts from Schmiedmann. Now to cross fingers and hope they come within sub-1-month.

Try http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/ - I use them a lot for hard to get or larger OE parts. They work out pretty cost effectively on the big ticket items such as bumpers, etc.

Had a chat with them and they said shipping cost for a bumper would be between $1000-$3000. May as well get a brand new bumper in NZ if that's the case!

Have emailed a few other places - waiting on a reply from ecstuning about shipping cost. I don't get why the shipping is so expensive when a bumper from ebay has shipping cost to nz for $100-200. Worst case scenario.. buy a brand new one in NZ. Or aftermarket plastic one from ebay (want to avoid this unless someone can tell me that there are aftermarket ones with fitment at least 90%+ as good as genuine). Or miraculously a used one pops up on trademe :).

Surely someone in Nz has a reasonable msport bumper that can be repainted?? That's bloody ludicrous!

Surely someone in Nz has a reasonable msport bumper that can be repainted?? That's bloody ludicrous!

+1, there are a sh*t LOAD of Msport E39s in NZ. Surely it'd be easier to find something thats wrecking one? Otherwise, have you considered importing from Japan via someone like http://mlracing.co.nz ? Find the part on Yahoo Japan, contact them and see what they will charge to slam it into a container and bring it over.

+1, there are a sh*t LOAD of Msport E39s in NZ. Surely it'd be easier to find something thats wrecking one? Otherwise, have you considered importing from Japan via someone like http://mlracing.co.nz ? Find the part on Yahoo Japan, contact them and see what they will charge to slam it into a container and bring it over.

Had a chat to a few wreckers, but no one seems to have one. Feel free to point me to anyone I may have missed lol.

Haven't considered importing from Japan - will have a look at that site, cheers.

So apparently my m5 bumper (and aftermarket mesh w/ brake ducts) have already landed in NZ awaiting the courier. Kind of faster than I expected...

Also just ordered a bunch of maintenance stuff off ecstuning but I'll leave that for my project thread.

Had a chat with them and they said shipping cost for a bumper would be between $1000-$3000. May as well get a brand new bumper in NZ if that's the case!

Seriously? I've bought som big parts from them - engine trim, rear diffuser, etc and shipping was sub US$100.

The front bumper carrier and front bumper shock absorbers for the 325 are rated at either 4km/h or for Korea at 8km/h. Would imagine the 5rs would be rated much the same. Glad to hear you are going to get her fixed if possible get involved with either the dismantling or re-assembly as it will give practical experience and how the cars are but together. Best of luck with the repair.

Seriously? I've bought som big parts from them - engine trim, rear diffuser, etc and shipping was sub US$100.

Yeah :S. They pretty much said it wouldn't be under 1000. Schmiedmann quoted similar. Ebay was a 100 bux for shipping and arrived in under 2 weeks.

The front bumper carrier and front bumper shock absorbers for the 325 are rated at either 4km/h or for Korea at 8km/h. Would imagine the 5rs would be rated much the same. Glad to hear you are going to get her fixed if possible get involved with either the dismantling or re-assembly as it will give practical experience and how the cars are but together. Best of luck with the repair.

Yeah I'm trying to get involved where I can (when not at work!). A good lesson.

Shane will be hiring the jig for Monday, so going to drop off the parts today. No idea how long the actual repair is going to take.

Took a few pics this afternoon.

Removed most of the nose and drained the coolant. There was some coolant leak (based on missing coolant) but not much - couldn't figure out where it leaked from... maybe the drain point. Radiator looks fine though. Noticed some coolant seaping from one of the small hoses under the radiator on the right side of the car (undamaged side). Not sure which hose this is exactly but perhaps needs replacing. But from the looks of it, i might be able to actually drive it after the panelbeater repairs are done. Though, will probably take it to get all the maintenance stuff done straight away, including replacing all the parts I bought recently (refer to my project thread). Have taken some photos of chassis damage.

15366871338_e0fa081d4c_b.jpg

Haven't had this much of a clear view of the chassis damage until now, so here it is for those that are curious:
14932258984_5382dc6c68_b.jpg

And here's the bumper shock area where most of the impact force probably traveled through:

14932829263_ca27c13f07_b.jpg

Didn't think I could fit everything in the car (apart from bonnet ofcourse), but turned out I could:

15550331371_c73bda7dfc_b.jpg

Estimated to take a couple weeks to fix - hopefully earlier but we'll see. Miss driving her!

Went over to Prima today to give them my Xenons and the new radiator hoses. Looks like they've successfully fixed up the chassis rail and gave a print out showing everything to spec - so am happy that turned out well! Now's just some painting and fitting left. Estimated to be done by next Wednesday.

Surely this is your opportunity to paint that wood trim silver :ph34r:

That wood trim is my 520i. I barely drive it so no point :P. My 530 has the brushed alum trim.

concrete buildings = immoveable object.They dont move a miilimeter,so the energy is absorbed totally by the car,nearly two tonnnes moving at 15 km hr is a lot of energy to just stop dead.If you hit another car the energy is at least halved cos he crumples too.

Woops double post. See below.

Edited by Arma

Almost done... :-). High likelihood of picking up tomorrow. Jason (from Prima, who did most of the work on the car) did an awesome job.

Just got the rear bumper to fix up and repaint from an old hit n run on the car (doing that today). And also painting the foglight cover area black (like it was before).

Really liking the brake duct mesh. Should look better once the foglight covers are blacked out.

15460520340_77da592609_b.jpg

15622381856_d7edc27d49_b.jpg

They kindly sanded and repainted my old grills since the plasti-dip came off it. Although, I bought some new ones so they'll try and put those on to see if they fit well.

Also, the Xenons worked, plug n play.