Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

Anyone have any idea how to remove a rounded screw?

Hey guys,

It looks like the screw on my tranny oil filter was a bit soft and it got munted....

I've attached some photos..

It's recessed into the filter so it's a little harder than normal.

Any ideas how to get it out? Would i need a reverse bit? no other options?

post-12239-0-36865000-1411453789_thumb.j

post-12239-0-58329500-1411453795_thumb.j

Use a flat head screwdriver and tap it with a hammer, should crack it free

Or you can use an ezy-out, which is essentially a tapered left handed tap. A cheap Chinese kit would be around 10 dollars from Bunnings etc if I recall..... About 60% sure on that price. But its not much

Wouldn't use cheap ezy outs, start to run out of options once you snap the ezy out

Go mongrel, weld an old bolt to it and undo it!! Then put a new filter in cos the old one is melted! ;)

Thanks will look at ezy outs tomorrow. I think a mate might have one.

Drill the head off, go slow, use a bit slightly larger than the bold thread. There'll be no tension on the bolt once the head has gone so will come out easy after that. If the filter drops away you'll have a fair bit of exposed thread to grab with vice grips.

• Like 1

cut a notch in the head and use a screw driver.

^ This. Easy with a dremel. Buy a new bolt first though so you've got a nice shiny new one to go in when you get the old one out.

Drill the head off, go slow, use a bit slightly larger than the bold thread. There'll be no tension on the bolt once the head has gone so will come out easy after that. If the filter drops away you'll have a fair bit of exposed thread to grab with vice grips.

This, I'd start with a piece that fits inside the torx and work your way up to the thread diameter. Use, or go and spend $100 on left handed drill bits, because as you're drilling the drill will most likely catch and unwind the bolt... unless some tard had cranked her right up.

Left handed drill kit would be the most un used tool in my box, but when I need em they're worth their weight in gold. Managed to drill out a snapped 10mm exhaust stud in place last week, 20 min job, pulling the turbo and manifold would have been 3+ hr, 15 litre Cummins,

Edited by coop

centre punch it off to the side of the rounded torx area, then angle the punch slowly towards the "undo" direction...

You got hex or torx drive bit set? Find the one thats a little but too big for your crater and smack it in with a hammer, then give it a crack.

or just drill the head take the pan off and get the stub out with vice grips.

I would try using some side cutters, might sound strange but it works well. Use the jaws to bite in to either side of the head while you twist.

If that does not work drill the head off.

Edited by 87M3@NZ

Used the side cutters trick and bent the filter off and used it as leverage! Its off now. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I wouldve done the drill method if the cutters didnt work ( luckily they did).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk