Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

SuperLap Series - Info?

Does anybody on here compete in the SuperLap Series in the Street Class Division?

Just wanting a basic run down, as not too much information on their website. How is it run/awarded, what were the last years Street Class winners and their times and Cars.. Mods allowed?

It looks like a simply fun way to get into Motorsport, esp if you have only a street type car.

Any information about this would be fantastically appreciated!

Setup a BMW specific one Amber :P :P :P

superlap BMWs

Divided in

- Non modified street class (fully stock cars bar perhaps better tyres, brakes and maybe suspension and minor engine mods - semi slicks allowed)

- modified street class (for heavily modified cars ... with engine transplants, aero work, ect ... slicks allowed)

- racecars/open (caged ect)

Single lap practice run ... timed run ... and one cool down lap.

Personally I think there would be enough interests and participants just from BMW owners.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2

Setup a BMW specific one Amber :P :P :P

superlap BMWs

Divided in

- Non modified street class (fully stock cars bar perhaps better tyres, brakes and maybe suspension and minor engine mods - semi slicks allowed)

- modified street class (for heavily modified cars ... with engine transplants, aero work, ect ... slicks allowed)

- racecars/open (caged ect)

Single lap practice run ... timed run ... and one cool down lap.

Personally I think there would be enough interests and participants just from BMW owners.

But I want someone to flick all these JDMS out of the water with their BMW :(

That would be an awesome idea. BMW SuperLaps :D

Not sure viable. My ass might get kicked by the other BMW Clubs and Groups who promote something of the sort.

Not sure viable. My ass might get kicked by the other BMW Clubs and Groups who promote something of the sort.

Are there any?

Are there any?

Mmmhmm.

BMW Car Club.. BMW Race Series? Or aren't they the same group? Idk.

Or Maybe the race series should add a stock street Class for us "incapableofaffordingtrackcarsgroup"

• Like 1

As far I as know there aren't anything bmw specific - time trial wise.

Time attack styled series aren't the realms of bmw race series (endurance, sprint races ect) or bmw car club (driver training) type events ... So there is a void in the market.

Also I'll get my ass kicked for saying this ... But your run of the mill bmws in modified class would get killed in single lap time attacks by jdm cars - period. Hell I know enough 2.4 litre vtecs that do faster lap times than open class bmws.

Edited by M3_Power

As far I as know there aren't anything bmw specific - time trial wise.

Time attack styled series aren't the realms of bmw race series (endurance, sprint races ect) or bmw car club (driver training) type events ... So there is a void in the market.

Also I'll get my ass kicked for saying this ... But your run of the mill bmws in modified class would get killed in single lap time attacks by jdm cars - period. Hell I know enough 2.4 litre vtecs that do faster lap times than open class bmws.

Yeah yeah I know I'll get my ass kicked but I still want to try :D

Mmm. I shall look into something

I know Jamez helped his Dad (Chris) run their E30 in the SuperLap series at Hampton Last year, maybe he can give a bit more info..

Finished in front of a lot of (supposedly) high horsepower Japanese machines IIRC, even with Chris driving!

Mmmhmm.

BMW Car Club.. BMW Race Series? Or aren't they the same group? Idk.

Or Maybe the race series should add a stock street Class for us "incapableofaffordingtrackcarsgroup"

I wouldn't have thought it a conflict of interest but you're probably right... People get precious about these sort of things. Still, if you go through due process, engage them all, etc - I don't see why it couldn't run successfully in parallel. Wouldn't be the same cars, even if it's a few of the same drivers!

• Like 1

If you're just looking to take your car for blast on the track. Pukekohe car club organizes two evening bent sprints at Pukekohe Park raceway. 1st Wednesday in Feburary & 1st Wednesday in March starting at around 6pm.

Typically we run two courses,

The first starts in pit lane going the wrong way, you race down past the hairpin loop around the chase and finish on the front straight,

the other starts at the exit of pit lane, goes around castrol, then you do a loop around a cone part way down the back straight and return to finish gong the wrong way on the front straight.

You normally get 4 runs at each course.

Min requirements are a helmet, 100% cotton overalls and a securely fastened fire extinguisher (see motorsport NZ website for details)

More details will be up on the Pukekohe CarClub website in a couple of weeks

Whilst there are some classes available in NZ (including 2KCup and it would appear SuperLap) that don't require a roll-cage all the BMW Race Driver Series do require a cage, which kind of rules out the Stock Street Class. Personally I would not recommend running a car in any type of organized motorsport that doesn't have at least a half cage, race-seat and harnesses. Race tracks are designed very differently to roads and you are likely to be travelling at higher speeds - I know no-one plans to crash but it's always good to be prepared for the worst.

The BMW race series isn't run by the BMW car club. But as all race series entrants require a motorsport affiliated car club we all have BMW car club memberships.

Put a cage in it and enter Group B.

I looked into the time attack event a little while back. Was impossible to get any info from them. Results were available with digging around on Facebook but NO times were listed. For a Time Attack event I would have thought the Times were most important.

A friend ran his Type R Integra in the street class a while back. There was 3 cars in the class. He sat around most of the day and got a couple of very short runs.

Said he would never bother again.

Also Tom. The horrible sounding front tugging Honda's are only faster as we have minimum time restrictions in the BMW series. They don't. ;)

Plus they are Honda's. Nobody cares how fast they are. :D

• Like 2

Whilst there are some classes available in NZ (including 2KCup and it would appear SuperLap) that don't require a roll-cage all the BMW Race Driver Series do require a cage, which kind of rules out the Stock Street Class. Personally I would not recommend running a car in any type of organized motorsport that doesn't have at least a half cage, race-seat and harnesses. Race tracks are designed very differently to roads and you are likely to be travelling at higher speeds - I know no-one plans to crash but it's always good to be prepared for the worst.

Indeed so. Roll cages are fantastic and I completely understand why required.

But same deal with open track days - street cars on a track doing high speeds, however no regulation is seen..

I just can't justify putting a roll cage in a car I would like to use for Road cruising and have more uses than just a track car - and yes then I shouldn't bother putting it on a track if

I can't afford a race car.. But it's nice to have something more than just an open track day where nothing matters sorta deal.

Tbh, idk. But I figured if they allow cars on a track in an open day, surely there

Is something lacking for those that want to time themselves. Trust me, If I could get an M3 purely for track work, I would / but cash restraints sorta deal.

Idk. Lots of opinions for and against. Would go in a circle, negatives and positives of Both really. Even getting an E30 up to track standard would cost the same amount to purchase the M3.. Which Id have more driving around a track.

Indeed so. Roll cages are fantastic and I completely understand why required.

But same deal with open track days - street cars on a track doing high speeds, however no regulation is seen..

I just can't justify putting a roll cage in a car I would like to use for Road cruising and have more uses than just a track car - and yes then I shouldn't bother putting it on a track if

I can't afford a race car.. But it's nice to have something more than just an open track day where nothing matters sorta deal.

Tbh, idk. But I figured if they allow cars on a track in an open day, surely there

Is something lacking for those that want to time themselves. Trust me, If I could get an M3 purely for track work, I would / but cash restraints sorta deal.

Idk. Lots of opinions for and against. Would go in a circle, negatives and positives of Both really. Even getting an E30 up to track standard would cost the same amount to purchase the M3.. Which Id have more driving around a track.

My E30 Series car cost me $9K to put on the road. And was a front running car. The E30 series is amazing and so much fun. I sold my "Track" car to build my E30. Never looked back. My Mrs has been thinking of selling her 270rwkw track/street car to start racing properly too. And she will have twice the fun even though an E30 is 237hp less than her current Nissan.

I wouldn't go looking for a series to race in unless you have a dedicated car. Just attend open track days or try and get an invite to private ones.

My E30 Series car cost me $9K to put on the road.  And was a front running car.  The E30 series is amazing and so much fun.  I sold my "Track" car to build my E30.  Never looked back.  My Mrs has been thinking of selling her 270rwkw track/street car to start racing properly too.  And she will have twice the fun even though an E30 is 237hp less than her current Nissan.

I wouldn't go looking for a series to race in unless you have a dedicated car.  Just attend open track days or try and get an invite to private ones.

I don't 'want' an E30 to take around a track. Had one, and it was never my cup of tea. Anything better and the costs go up.

Yay for open track days where barely woffable idiots attend. Amen :/

Maybe I should join Porsche Club. They seem like they have something for everyone hahaha

I'll continue going around open track days to skill up.

Just thought I'd ask about SuperLap.. No harm in doing so right?

Lead car is 1993 Toyota Supra.

Damn.

Then an E30.

If this was a full on grid start motorsport race - I would understand the extreme need of roll cages etc. But it's just a basic sorta run. Would be gooood to see my chances. Not many. if any. No harm in trying right? :D

• Like 1

Personally I would not recommend running a car in any type of organized motorsport that doesn't have at least a half cage, race-seat and harnesses. Race tracks are designed very differently to roads and you are likely to be travelling at higher speeds - I know no-one plans to crash but it's always good to be prepared for the worst.

Whilst I agree with the above statement in general I do think there is a reason that sometimes young people consider motorsport to be prohibitively expensive the moment you start looking at cages ect ... You are talking about people that may only have the means to have one car and just want to have a go (but not in a shitter like the 2KCup cars (sorry 2KCup : P) The counter argument to that of course is would you rather those that are interested in motorsport and upping their skills join private track days and crash (or worse race on the roads to try and prove they are better than the next person) or would you rather they be under a controlled environment with properly run and organised days - but without the prohibitive costs of running a full time track car. In my opinion it's the best of two evils really.

There's a reason that not all events under MANZ require a full schedule A car and it is also why there are events such as bent sprints, time trials ect that only require clubman licence.

People still die in well built racecars doing stupid things, if anything I see more racecars crash at track days than road cars simply because many of those behind the wheels of one feel they are invincible because of it. At the end of the day it's about respecting your capabilities and respecting the activity you are carrying out - and I am a believer that the only way to build that mentality isn't through a simple response of "get a roll cage" or "join a race series". I am sure no one would tell their kids that want to learn to swim to "go join the Olympic team" ... it's a stupid argument if I may respectfully say so with a tinge of cheekiness.

Also Tom. The horrible sounding front tugging Honda's are only faster as we have minimum time restrictions in the BMW series. They don't. ;)

Plus they are Honda's. Nobody cares how fast they are. :D

LOL Dan ... I dare you to post that on the Honda Cup forum :P:D ... I've LOL'd a couple of times knowing the BMW guys lift off just so they don't go under the 1:10 mark at Hampton ... Never really understood the logic behind that rule to be honest.

Whilst I agree with the above statement in general I do think there is a reason that sometimes young people consider motorsport to be prohibitively expensive the moment you start looking at cages ect ... You are talking about people that may only have the means to have one car and just want to have a go (but not in a shitter like the 2KCup cars (sorry 2KCup : P) The counter argument to that of course is would you rather those that are interested in motorsport and upping their skills join private track days and crash (or worse race on the roads to try and prove they are better than the next person) or would you rather they be under a controlled environment with properly run and organised days - but without the prohibitive costs of running a full time track car. In my opinion it's the best of two evils really.

There's a reason that not all events under MANZ require a full schedule A car and it is also why there are events such as bent sprints, time trials ect that only require clubman licence.

People still die in well built racecars doing stupid things, if anything I see more racecars crash at track days than road cars simply because many of those behind the wheels of one feel they are invincible because of it. At the end of the day it's about respecting your capabilities and respecting the activity you are carrying out - and I am a believer that the only way to build that mentality isn't through a simple response of "get a roll cage" or "join a race series". I am sure no one would tell their kids that want to learn to swim to "go join the Olympic team" ... it's a stupid argument if I may respectfully say so with a tinge of cheekiness.

LOL Dan ... I dare you to post that on the Honda Cup forum :P:D ... I've LOL'd a couple of times knowing the BMW guys lift off just so they don't go under the 1:10 mark at Hampton ... Never really understood the logic behind that rule to be honest.

Haha they do more than that. Poor Aaron Harris got a big slap on the wrist for braking hard before going over the line so as not to Break Out.

And I have to call you out on the more race cars crashing than road cars. I know you have been to one of Henry's track days at Puke. Not uncommon that 5 cars will be upside down on their opening lap all before lunch. Haha.

Try and find the private track days Amber. A group of friends hire Taupo track every year. Only 30 people we trust to be there. I am sure you can organise something like that. Puke is cheap. And they do Twilight sessions. Hampton is usually out of reach for small groups. With our day we run an open pit. Everyone runs through at least 1 tank of gas.

Maybe I should join Porsche Club. They seem like they have something for everyone hahaha

Can see it now. 15 mins track time. 6 hours of them trying to explain why their model of super beetle is better than the identical one next to it.

I'm probably the shittest wanna be track driver out (Esp according to those who saw me at the open day in the piss down wet with a first go on the Schnitzer and told everyone I was.....)

But I won't learn how to drive without the experience behind doing these days. I spoke to the organiser of the SuperLap Series, good guy. He was very helpful and said it's all for FUN and that you go out on the track in your own space - you aren't racing against 10 cars all within a couple of meters.

The comes open track days - loads of potential sh*t boxes all out on a track at the same time.

I'm starting to see which one seems 'safer'

I'm probably the shittest wanna be track driver out (Esp according to those who saw me at the open day in the piss down wet with a first go on the Schnitzer and told everyone I was.....)

But I won't learn how to drive without the experience behind doing these days. I spoke to the organiser of the SuperLap Series, good guy. He was very helpful and said it's all for FUN and that you go out on the track in your own space - you aren't racing against 10 cars all within a couple of meters.

The comes open track days - loads of potential sh*t boxes all out on a track at the same time.

I'm starting to see which one seems 'safer'

The open track days organised by the Playday guys are run pretty well imo and if anyone is being a wanker/dangerous they will tell you to piss off , I was worried about that sort of issues as well , but done numerous track days with them and haven't had any sort of issues tbh with the drivers there

• Like 1

And I have to call you out on the more race cars crashing than road cars. I know you have been to one of Henry's track days at Puke. Not uncommon that 5 cars will be upside down on their opening lap all before lunch. Haha.

Henry's days are more an exception than the rule I have to say ... that and the demographics it attracts :ph34r: But yes you are right, those days you are more likely to see a first timer thinking they are Lewis Hamilton and out brake themselves down the first corner. I've seen brand new X5Ms written off that way plus a few other 'exotics' - actually I have a nice photo collage of those incidents (strange how people just seem to email me images of them LOL!!!).

Having said that I've been to properly run track days by reputable outfits where I've seen nearly half of the racecars either towed back with a front or both ends gone or a just built racecar out testing only to slam nose first off turn 1 at Hampton on it's outlap on cold brakes.

I've also seen some fairly dangerous incidents involving guys in caged cars (which in my opinion happen more often than your regular road racer in their daily drive) - not to mention the fact that I was once cut off turn 1 by a certain Porsche Cup racer despite the fact I was on the racing line and on turn in, only for him to spin me into the barrier in my Honda (you'll probably say, thank goodness it was only a Honda - and the Porsche driver will most definitely say, good riddance!! LOL).

So yes, both groups have idiots, racecar or otherwise.

Perhaps bimmersport can do a track day at Pukekohe for those that can't be bothered travelling to Taupo : )

Edited by M3_Power

The open track days organised by the Playday guys are run pretty well imo and if anyone is being a wanker/dangerous they will tell you to piss off , I was worried about that sort of issues as well , but done numerous track days with them and haven't had any sort of issues tbh with the drivers there

I agree with the above,

Playday also has sorted groups.

So Amber, you can start slower and work you're way up. As your comfort level increases.

It's not just about the cage Tom, you HAVE to wear a helmet, without harnesses and using standard belts and seat I would be very concerned about neck injury.

A road car with half cage, or bolt in cage, and a spare seat + belts to put in when needed is a good balance.

I have dailied a race car before with fixed car and seat, and also had the bolt in stuff for a road car. Not everyone's cup of tea, but depends in how much daily driving you do I guess.

Track days I would say are less risky, cars are not fully race oriented and without the competitive element most don't push nearly as hard.

Road cars mixed with track cars is a recipe for disaster - STis and EVOs boosting past on the straight then braking right in front, etc.. Keep apart or avoid.

On a positive note, the mention of the bent sprints is a good one. The Intermarques series at Manfield is great, something similar near Aucks would be a great place to start, learn and develop.

Street Car group is going against other Street Cars, and even then, it's still just you tottering around a track beating only the lap time you create.. I've been to an open day, and the first one I went to saw 12 cars end in 10 with one totalled in front of me... And I was in my Schnitzer taking horrific lines and driving like a nana (Sorry Brent!)

The BMW track day was great, I had the good old Mike Eady guiding my every move - and cars were spaced apart. I wouldn't mind attending some affordable training days like that!

Spoke to the SuperLap guys and nothing yet in the ways of crashes. Your Pro Open, Pro Street Caged cars running 1.10s and less are not raced against your 1.30 Street Cars / in fact you will never see your competitor near you...

And with the entry cost the same as an open track day, however you play around with your own lap times.. It seems some what.. Safer??

*times used are hampton*