Sign in to follow this  
jayzrb

wanting to buy e39 520i or 525i

Just thinking about getting a daily and the e39 looks pretty good.

Just did research on which is better in fuel econmy.

and all im finding is arguments over manual vs auto and torque converters with massive essays.

both of them auto

both 2000 +

520i vs 525i on fuel econmy and reliability

Cheers and if you have a 520i or 525i for sale please let me knw.

Cheers

The engine size has very little to do with economy. The car weight makes the most difference.

Even the V8's are very good if they're driving similarly.

The 520i's don't save fuel at all in real life usage, and may even use more at times - more passengers etc, with it working harder. The facelift 520i's are actually a 2.2 which is WAY better than the earlier 2.0 ones.

Be aware that Jap import pre-facelift 523i's are badged 525i, but aren't anything like a facelift 525i. Some facelifts are registered as year 2000, but are actually 2001 models.

The 525i and 530i are good allrounders, with generally lower running costs than the V8's. I'd look at them, and not the 520i.

Our 525i is factory manual, and I can tell you it's a FAR better drive than an auto one when you want to push it a bit. You can take advantage of the torque in the manual box, where the auto box will just downshift and rev, unless you stick it in tiptronic.

However, if you're only after Auto, I wouldn't even consider the 2.0, unless it was way cheaper to buy or something - you won't be saving anything in running costs.

My wife somehow manages to average around 11L/100kms, where I did 9.something while she was overseas, and I did the same run: drop kids off, drive across town to work and back again. She's a gas on, gas off, brake on, brake off, gas on etc driver :lol:. I drive faster, but l more consistant.

I did a run from Whangarei to Warkworth by myself, and got it down to 7.0L/100kms, travelling at normal speeds, but trying to squeeze some economy out of it (by myself). On a run with the family in the car, I got 8.2L/100kms heading up to Bay of Islands - not really economical roads, so pretty good really. AC is ALWAYS on auto too.

I'd expect a 530i to average a tiny bit higher consumption than a 525i, and i wouldn't be at all surprised if the 520i was at least as hungry, or even hungrier.

Like in E30's, the 320i auto used more fuel than both the 318i and 325i in most circumstances.

On Fuelly, which isn't enitely sceintific, but had a pile of data that should give a good enough "average"

6x 2003 520i average 11.6L/100kms over 100,000kms (one of them appears to be a 2004 E60 though, and there are no other facelift 520is on there, excpet 2003)

30x facelift 525i average 10.9L/100kms over 350,000kms

43x facelift 530i average 10.1L/100kms over 920,000kms

32x facelift 540i average 12.2L/100kms over 442,000kms

So that suggests the 530i is the better allrounder, considering likely lower running costs, though if you like power, the 540i isn't going to kill you (unless the timing chain fails!)

• Like 1

Do some research and you will find most if not all the reviews pick the e39 530 as the all round balanced car might raise a few hecklers :P ???. Have owned a 530 for 5 odd years and although most of it's running was highway it returned 735-750k average per tank not mucking around. They are a nice car to travel in and drive using the tiptronic can be heaps of fun or be lazy and let the auto do the work. They are by no means bullet proof and have their weak points so attention to details doing your research on them helps. Don't be in a hurry to buy drive as many of the different variation 520, 530 540 M5 so you can come to grips with each and improve your knowledge of them to make a good wise decision best of luck.

I've had a 523i (Badged as 525i, but Jap import Pre Facelift M52 model), 528i, 530i and loads of 3 series etc.

The only ones you want are the 530i, 540i, M5

A 525i with a manual gearbox still goes well, but hard to find.

540's rarely get to stretch their legs and justify the capacity.

There is more to 540 power train than out right speed. I would say one of their best features is the raw low end torque for just getting out of the way fast. / epic over taking manuvours

I dont need a fast car. iwas thinkin of having a 5seris as a daily. Because i got my e30 getting rebuilt.

Dont ask whats in it yet. But il make sure il post the build.

As for the 5series.

il look for the 2.2liter one and the 525i and go from there.

Its only or mostly going to be commuting from devonport to manukau

The engine size has very little to do with economy. The car weight makes the most difference. Even the V8's are very good if they're driving similarly. The 520i's don't save fuel at all in real life usage, and may even use more at times - more passengers etc, with it working harder. The facelift 520i's are actually a 2.2 which is WAY better than the earlier 2.0 ones. Be aware that Jap import pre-facelift 523i's are badged 525i, but aren't anything like a facelift 525i. Some facelifts are registered as year 2000, but are actually 2001 models. The 525i and 530i are good allrounders, with generally lower running costs than the V8's. I'd look at them, and not the 520i. Our 525i is factory manual, and I can tell you it's a FAR better drive than an auto one when you want to push it a bit. You can take advantage of the torque in the manual box, where the auto box will just downshift and rev, unless you stick it in tiptronic. However, if you're only after Auto, I wouldn't even consider the 2.0, unless it was way cheaper to buy or something - you won't be saving anything in running costs. My wife somehow manages to average around 11L/100kms, where I did 9.something while she was overseas, and I did the same run: drop kids off, drive across town to work and back again. She's a gas on, gas off, brake on, brake off, gas on etc driver :lol:. I drive faster, but l more consistant. I did a run from Whangarei to Warkworth by myself, and got it down to 7.0L/100kms, travelling at normal speeds, but trying to squeeze some economy out of it (by myself). On a run with the family in the car, I got 8.2L/100kms heading up to Bay of Islands - not really economical roads, so pretty good really. AC is ALWAYS on auto too. I'd expect a 530i to average a tiny bit higher consumption than a 525i, and i wouldn't be at all surprised if the 520i was at least as hungry, or even hungrier. Like in E30's, the 320i auto used more fuel than both the 318i and 325i in most circumstances. On Fuelly, which isn't enitely sceintific, but had a pile of data that should give a good enough "average" 6x 2003 520i average 11.6L/100kms over 100,000kms (one of them appears to be a 2004 E60 though, and there are no other facelift 520is on there, excpet 2003)30x facelift 525i average 10.9L/100kms over 350,000kms43x facelift 530i average 10.1L/100kms over 920,000kms32x facelift 540i average 12.2L/100kms over 442,000kms So that suggests the 530i is the better allrounder, considering likely lower running costs, though if you like power, the 540i isn't going to kill you (unless the timing chain fails!)

So 525i? You reckon?

So 525i? You reckon?

I'd say 530i then 525i, in that order.

Okey il look at both sweet. Whats the price range id be looking at.

I sold my 530i recently but when buying my E39 I drove both the 3L and 2.5L back to back. The 3L really is the one you want to get for that commute. It's got that little bit more power that just makes everything more effortless.

E39 prices have tanked to the point where I doubt there would be much difference.