Sign in to follow this  
richard.pykett

E21 Group 5

Hi Folks

Making some progress now on the rear sheetmetal for the build. Not sure if I have previously posted the link, but now have a facebook page on progress.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elan-Motorsport/662026323873874?tab=public&view

Richard

• Like 3

Wow that is amazing .. Havent seem something built like this for some time.

Great work. Is a shame that you won't be able to run in the BMW series with us. Would love to see it out there.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - awesome work in this project. Your skills are amazing. Keep posting the updates, and fingers crossed the rest of the build goes smoothly for you.

Thanks guys. Progress is very slow as I stand looking at it trying to nut things out, for about twice the time I'm cutting steel! Not too much in the scrap pile yet helped by so much 'CAD' work - cardboard aided design. Starting some sheetmetal bits at the moment, so this is always good fun. Been a bit of feature creep since the original concept around E39 540 brakes and an S54. Front brakes will now be Super Tourer rears from Racer Products with Porsche 6 pot calipers and Iv'e recently bitten the bullet and ordered a 5 speed sequential from TT Industries in Nelson. Kayne Barrie is doing the diff (large case 3.85) and now has a spare Getrag 420G 6 speed (let me know if anybody needs this). Steve Murch has supplied the turbo and I'm not far off starting the plumbing for this. Hoping for around 600 flywheel hp and around 1000kgs. Coilovers are double adjustable Konis from Stocks with my own front strut tubes.

Dan - yes aware that it's a bit outside the regs, but the intention was never to build it as a racecar. The boys and I had several years of karting, ending up not far off the pointy end, but unfortunately the fun drained away and we definitely didn't have the pocketbook to consider single seaters. When we bought the 1M and Claytons gave us a BMW Driver Experience day at HD, we said - why don't we build a trackday car a bit like the 1M. So a trackday car with 2 seats is the target. The bodywork is all going to be hand formed from 1.6 aluminium, so leaning on somebody, or having them lean on us, doesn't have much appeal. Plan is to run customer rides for our insurance clients as a thank-you. We have lots of petrolhead clients! The odd hillclimb has appeal and perhaps we might get invited to the Festival or similar when it is finished and sorted.

I'd love the six speed but not sure how easy it would be to mate up to the M70... Also doubt I have the budget for some time.

I spy an e39 rear subframe used in your amazing build. Can't wait to see more progress pics.

Hi Martin - yes have 3 of them now, either dragged out of paddocks or donated. A thing of beauty. Just why they don't appear in hot rods is beyond me. Front end is also E39 - 6 cylinder 528 with a LHD rack we sourced through NZAD Darren Leckey. At the rear, we got rid of the hydraulic chassis bushes, bored the holes round in the mill (the BMW extrusion necks when they weld it) and made nylon bushes to direct mount to the cage. Diff is an E34 case with my own rear cover to mount in the E39 subframe and I made a larger cover bulge with a heat sink. At this stage we have the 540 axles. Remains to be seen if they stand up or we need to go to M spec.

R

Dan - yes aware that it's a bit outside the regs, but the intention was never to build it as a racecar. The boys and I had several years of karting, ending up not far off the pointy end, but unfortunately the fun drained away and we definitely didn't have the pocketbook to consider single seaters. When we bought the 1M and Claytons gave us a BMW Driver Experience day at HD, we said - why don't we build a trackday car a bit like the 1M. So a trackday car with 2 seats is the target. The bodywork is all going to be hand formed from 1.6 aluminium, so leaning on somebody, or having them lean on us, doesn't have much appeal. Plan is to run customer rides for our insurance clients as a thank-you. We have lots of petrolhead clients! The odd hillclimb has appeal and perhaps we might get invited to the Festival or similar when it is finished and sorted.

Such a cool car, will be far to good to keep for "just" a track day car, but I can fully understand what you are saying about not wanting to be leaned on!

Have a look at the Historic Touring Car Class that Gerry Hodges is promoting and getting going, I'd say he'd love to have your car on the grid with them.. and the emphasis is "fun" for them as the cars are very valuable!

These may be of interest... adjustable rear control arms... or give you some inspiration to make some.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/431490-finally-custom-rear-control-arms-e39.html

Thanks Martin. Plan is to get the car going and see how it handles with the subframe almost solidly mounted - suspect that is where most of the squigeiness will be. If it still handles like a marshmellow, then we can start to look at removing more rubber from the arms. There is a reasonable range of adjustment in the stock eccentrics and we have had the luxury of mounting the subframe where we liked in the frame. This means that we don't have massive axle angles and massive negative camber to get rid of as is usual with extreme lowering. I only did a bit of mechanical engineering years ago, but read time and time again about scrutineers railing against rose joints placed in bending, as I think these are? Thought was that if we needed less flex, to machine a spherical bearing to fit the inner ends of the arms. Need to get it going first and understand it. What with dampers, springs and roll bars to fiddle with, we will be plenty busy trying to make sense of it all! I though karts were just a bunch of exhaust tubing and a lawn mower engine when we started....!

R

Edited by Skintkarter

Such a cool car, will be far to good to keep for "just" a track day car, but I can fully understand what you are saying about not wanting to be leaned on!

Have a look at the Historic Touring Car Class that Gerry Hodges is promoting and getting going, I'd say he'd love to have your car on the grid with them.. and the emphasis is "fun" for them as the cars are very valuable!

Hi Jon - the Historic Touring Car class would be fantastic for us, but not sure that we would be considered for it. Car will have no historic significance and mechanically be quite different from the M12 engined cars of the 70's. Externally it will be close, but the front guards are going to need to be a bit more DTM to clear the 18's. Plan is to paint it in the Faltz / Hans Stuck Jagermeister livery - a nod to our first BMW many moons ago - an Inka Orange E21 M10.

R