Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

e39 Fuel filler Rust *ohgod*

What is the best way to stop/slow the slight rusting i've got below the filler neck?

It's a common E39 thing - at least you don't live in the UK, where the boot lid, wheel arches, sills and everything under the car rusts too!

If its the normal stuff - you may find it never gets any worse for many years... but you could always scrape the top off, sand it back a bit, clean it up with some rust converter and more sanding, then etch prime it and go over it with some touch up paint.

Sandblasting's really the only option if you're after something that will last. Sandblast it, rust neutralizer the previously affected area and then finish to your liking.

That said once it's started (obviously depending on severity) it's not going to be easy to get rid of. It'll come back for sure if you do a "she'll be right" fix.

Went out and took a pic...

Sanding that area makes me nervous, so I thought about hitting it with fish oil to stop it and then get it seen to when I can afford to have it properly done.

post-16574-0-05887400-1423388466_thumb.j

Doesn't look too serious, just a tiny bit of surface rust. As Martin says, it's not the usual nasty rust where water collects in the filler recess. Not even sure that's worth dealing to judging by the pic.

• Like 1

The galve coating on the metal ring/neck has failed probably from people over the year scraping it with the metal pump neck. Petrol is corrosive and would of done the rest.. the only way to fix it properly is to remove it and re coat. But you can just get a nice second hand one. Wire brushing it off is only a temporay fix as it will happen again.

That or close the fuel cap and forget about it .. it wont in reality get any worse, its kind of only just surface.

It's gold passivated zinc plating. OOOOooo look how clever I am.

Anyway, if it really bugs you, you could use some rust converter on it and spray it with one of the many 'rust treatment' spray cans.