Sign in to follow this  
allan

Dangers of i sapping

When I first read this I thought what the f**k is i sapping.

Anyway, while the car is running your alternator should be powering anything electrical running in your car - not your battery. Article is a load of sh*t.

When I first read this I thought what the f**k is i sapping.

Anyway, while the car is running your alternator should be powering anything electrical running in your car - not your battery. Article is a load of sh*t.

I agree... would only be relevant if the car was not running.

Presuming that they're referring to people that leave the device (e.g. aftermarket sat nav) plugged in all the time even when the car is not running, so it's drawing power when the car is not in use.

I noticed on my old 540i that if I left my iPod in the car (via aftermarket media gateway) it would charge off the battery so I unplugged it all the time but I bet a lot of people don't.

Even heating and lights working in the winter months tax a battery’s power, so the less added strain you can give your battery the better.

Oh crap, better drive with the lights off. It's dark out, but I don't wanna ruin my battery now!

• Like 1

So many "Long Life" Items for BMW's..... batteries are not one of them.... and most of the others aren't either

So many "Long Life" Items for BMW's..... batteries are not one of them.... and most of the others aren't either

on average the batteries in my BMWs have fared better than batteries in my Toyotas and Nissans

on average the batteries in my BMWs have fared better than batteries in my Toyotas and Nissans

Still got the 11 year old one in the E39...

... and it's been run flat twice :ph34r:

yeah the cigarette lighter staying live when the car is of is feckin retarded on older BMWs, maybe even all, not sure about the new ones.

My Hiace switches off when the van is off, but when running or in ACC, its powering my Valentine one, the GPS and fairly often charging my iPhone all at once through a splitter. i also regularly park at jobs or at the factory and leave the hazards and/or radio on, often for well over an hour, but always starts with as much confidence as if i didnt do that.

Cant say that about any BMW i have ever owned, even those with new batteries.

yeah the cigarette lighter staying live when the car is of is feckin retarded on older BMWs, maybe even all, not sure about the new ones.

My Hiace switches off when the van is off, but when running or in ACC, its powering my Valentine one, the GPS and fairly often charging my iPhone all at once through a splitter. i also regularly park at jobs or at the factory and leave the hazards and/or radio on, often for well over an hour, but always starts with as much confidence as if i didnt do that.

Cant say that about any BMW i have ever owned, even those with new batteries.

i used to leave my parking lights on regularly ALL DAY on the e34 ,always started ,that had a huge battery though.And an auxillary which was absolutely stuffed when i bought it. I remove d that with the asscociated carrier etc

i used to leave my parking lights on regularly ALL DAY on the e34 ,always started ,that had a huge battery though.And an auxillary which was absolutely stuffed when i bought it. I remove d that with the asscociated carrier etc

yeah thats true mine will last about 6 or 7 hours thats about it, off a brand new battery. but stereo on for 45 minutes, forget it, dead car. e30 is the same.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

yeah thats true mine will last about 6 or 7 hours thats about it, off a brand new battery. but stereo on for 45 minutes, forget it, dead car. e30 is the same.

I left my stereo in the E30 going at close to full volume for over 6 hours one night, fully didnt expect it to start in the morning but started fine.

• Like 1

I left my stereo in the E30 going at close to full volume for over 6 hours one night, fully didnt expect it to start in the morning but started fine.

Yeah, i've never had any issues with any of my BMWs.... leave them sitting idle for much more than a month though and it's a different story haha.