Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Old car maintenance questions!

Ok got a couple questions for you guys! This relates to my BMW 325i Convertible, but apples to any BMW of this age, etc

1/ hood liner

i replaced the foam hood liner in the engine room, with genuine BMW part. these are supplied with adhesive backing from new, you peel the plastic off like you would a sticker, and put it on. In 1990, of course this lasts 15-20 years, however as with all dealer supplied stuff its new old stock, and the glue is already perished. 6 months after install it is peeling away again.

What should i use to stick it back? bearing in mind it goes onto a painted metal surface, so the "glue" must not be corrosive

2/ window grease

my other question is maintenance of the sliders for the window regulators. I am particularly concerned as without looking i am very sure they will be cabby specific, so i don't want to stress them any more than needed.

the graphite paste is usually totally lost its lubricating effectiveness by now, all mixed up with water and gunk.

what should i use to lubricate it, and where can i buy it? BMW shrugged their shoulders when i asked, and no part number available

I have new clips here ready to go, providing they are the same as E32/E34/E36, i suspect they will be but i can't remember

Cheers team!

let me know if you want pictures etc.

Andy

I ordered a set of genuine replacement foam from Paul at Milland, for Dads E30, and they've been on probably a year, and are still perfectly fine: no sagging, drooping etc. They came folded in a box, they happily unfolded, the adhesive seemed fine - damn sticky! Maybe your dealer had a dud one?

You should be able to get graphite grease from a model shop, it is used in r.c. cars for the plastic gears. For the hood lining, something like ados f2 should work.

I ordered a set of genuine replacement foam from Paul at Milland, for Dads E30, and they've been on probably a year, and are still perfectly fine: no sagging, drooping etc. They came folded in a box, they happily unfolded, the adhesive seemed fine - damn sticky! Maybe your dealer had a dud one?

mine was sourced straight from the dealer, and was not rolled up, supplied in a large flat box. backing said BMW original teile on it, did yours?

I would be surprised if Milland one is, his parts are very good quality, and most of the time the same manufacturer as OEM, eg Bosch, Lemforder etc but they are still not genuine BMW

You should be able to get graphite grease from a model shop, it is used in r.c. cars for the plastic gears. For the hood lining, something like ados f2 should work.

ok havent heard of ados f2 do i get that from model shop too, or m10 mega etc?

mine was sourced straight from the dealer, and was not rolled up, supplied in a large flat box. backing said BMW original teile on it, did yours?

I would be surprised if Milland one is, his parts are very good quality, and most of the time the same manufacturer as OEM, eg Bosch, Lemforder etc but they are still not genuine BMW

ados f2 contact adhesive any hardware store,very solvent heavy might not be the best for foam...

• Like 1

F2 contact adhesive

Lithium grease or spray for lube works well

• Like 1

I've always used lithium spray grease for window clips, sunroofs, squeaky door hinges. Works a treat mate!

Paul at Milland will get me anything genuine I want. Usually cheaper than the dealer, AND makes sure It's the right part (Twice, a dealer has tried to sell me the wrong part even when I insisted it was wrong). I got it with a bunch of other parts, and it was rolled to fit a smaller box with coolant and some small parts (I believe Paul got it from a BMW dealer here in NZ, and it was STILL cheaper than the dealer quoted me!)

If you use F2, it HAS to be the "heavy duty" or whatever the better one is - some say not suitable for headliners, and standard F2 isn't, I think - I used it on a Suzuki van, and fell off on the first warm day. Wurth Heavy Duty contact adhesive spray didn't fall off though.

Synthetic Spray Lube is what I used for such areas.

CRC make a good one.

Lithium grease isn't so good for rubber areas due to its petroleum content.

Lithium grease isn't so good for rubber areas due to its petroleum content.

nah just plastic sliders in a steel track.

We have only used over 30 yrs experience a white water resistant marine lubricating grease and a Wurth lubricating spray grease. A combination of both in these areas.

Some of the above comments above I would disregard as being based on DIY "should I try this" and see if it works