Sign in to follow this  
hunter

Retro grade a good idea?

Hi all, I'm thinking of selling my beloved E46 and replacing with an E28 as a bit of a project.

I've always liked the idea f owning an older "simpler" car, for that classic feel and style. Drove one in USA a few years back and loved it. To those out there who do or have owned an E28 how are they to maintain and get parts for?

What are common issues found or pit falls to look out for with these older models? there is a semi regular flow of them on Trademe most in good looking condition.

It would mostly be a weekend car for cruising, something the E46 seems wasted on sitting in the garage.

• Like 1

Retro grade good idea? Me thinks yes. If you enjoyed it in the US then i`m sure you'll enjoy it here. Older cars have a charm the newer ones lack.

As for parts, the M20 was used in E30s and some E34s. My E30 has an M20 and I have no trouble at all buying parts, usually from the USA. I have the earlier model M20 too. M30 is the `bigger brother` and while I have no experience with them, parts should be just as easy to source.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Why not. If you want it as a tidy up project you will have a lot of fun. They are very simple and anything you replace will be rewarding.

Step one. Replace all the cooling gear in the car.

Go for an M30 variant if you can.

Plenty of places still cover the E28. Full suspension replacement will have her driving like new.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-upgrade-kit-e28-e24-meyle-e2816piece-my

• Like 1

Best looking car ever made imo.

Definitely hold out for an m30 manual.

The 2.7 auto I had wasn't unbearable but got boring pretty quick.

• Like 2

Why not. If you want it as a tidy up project you will have a lot of fun. They are very simple and anything you replace will be rewarding.

Step one. Replace all the cooling gear in the car.

Go for an M30 variant if you can.

Plenty of places still cover the E28. Full suspension replacement will have her driving like new.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-upgrade-kit-e28-e24-meyle-e2816piece-my

Thanks driftit for the link, good to know this kind of stuff is available.

Cheers all. Would like to get a ride in an E28 and see if the memory matches with reality. Want to put the E46 on the market soon and will consider it over the weekend, don't need a replacement right away, so no probs if the E46 sells quickly.

the best thing about the e28 is that they are relatively light.Braking,acceleration and turning benifit.As other s have said they are OLD.They will not fare well in a coliision with anything substatial and or modern

• Like 1

I have a 525ee e28. M20 engine. Reasonably efficient for its age - 10l/100km in city. Mine is NZ new. Good to work on. Admittedly I worry about rust and only take it out in fair weather. You'll need to find a nice example that's been looked after.

• Like 1

If you have something old that's been looked after you'll be fine. Every car can have it's issues, and sometimes a little more on older ones... though being more simple, they're sometimes easier to limp home or fix on the roadside.

We've got a 1929 Ford Model A, and it's not been restored, but looked after. It wasn't used as a "machine" all it's life, so has survived relatively unscathed - not like the ones used as Tractors on the farm ;) 86 years is a pretty good run! It's still in better condition than most cars on the road are!

Correction to Kiwi 535 comment - make sure you DO hit something modern if you are going to have a crash- you will benefit from their crash absorption (at their expense) .

true...

Hi all, I'm thinking of selling my beloved E46 and replacing with an E28 as a bit of a project.

I've always liked the idea f owning an older "simpler" car, for that classic feel and style. Drove one in USA a few years back and loved it. To those out there who do or have owned an E28 how are they to maintain and get parts for?

What are common issues found or pit falls to look out for with these older models? there is a semi regular flow of them on Trademe most in good looking condition.

It would mostly be a weekend car for cruising, something the E46 seems wasted on sitting in the garage.

In the movie 'no strings attached' Ashton Kutcher's character drives a flippin mint one of these, watch it.

I reckon for a weekend cruiser it's a cool way to go. Its a very cool car.

• Like 1

I love my old thing [ 1987 E28 525e manual ]. I've owned a lot of cars over the years and raced and rallied in past too and this car is right up there in terms of favourites. It's rough and I paid under 2K for it but it's straight and rust free and keeps on giving. Bought at 185ks and have done 45,000km in it in the last 2 years. It get's no quarter either.

I've done:

Shocks, Front control arms, cam belt, w'pump, tensioners and seals and a muffler. Brakes had had a fettle before I bought it so it pulls up straight and handles with huge poise for biggish car. I think any e28 with an unruly back-end (especially in the league of 911s!!!) has to be seriously in need of some maintenance. I rate the cars handling (mine is stock).

It needs:
Paint! Dash redo, stupid factory in-cluster batteries relocated and replaced, sunroof drains cleared, Basket-weaves, a limited slip diff and well, I do fantasise about a low pressure turbo for a little more push but that's really for the lotto win. The rest though will probably happen because it really deserves it.

Finally, check this out. From 2:30 or so on. Annoying sound drop-outs but I enjoy the chuckles from the driver watching the E28 in front.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate the thoughtfulness and detail of them :)

I have decided to keep the E46, with our first child now on the way (holy cow!), a recent development , I'll keep the newer safer car for the growing Fam