Sign in to follow this  
Dn540

M62 Piston Clock

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd leave this here...

Made this clock for my Dads birthday today, first attempt at one and first attempt at engraving. I think my engraving needs some work and for the next one I think I'll find a different clock insert as this one needs to be removed from the bearing cups to change the battery/time.

The paint was supposed to be stainless steel but i could have just bought a can of silver for half the price... maybe I'll do satin black next.

I also toyed with a style using just the rod, minus the piston.

Cheers!

post-51475-0-73665300-1434931695_thumb.j

post-51475-0-65779900-1434931743_thumb.j

post-51475-0-02850500-1434931830_thumb.j

post-51475-0-15780200-1434931841_thumb.j

• Like 3

Haha! I was like what the heck is this thread going to be about. Couldn't fathom what a 'piston clock' was :P

That looks cool.

Wonder what one would look like completely cleaned, then polished, and then clear coat instead of silver?

^^^^ What he says

That looks cool.

Wonder what one would look like completely cleaned, then polished, and then clear coat instead of silver?

Probably a sh*t load better I'd say. The silver really wasn't what i was aiming for but had spent the money and painted it already lol.

As Borat says... Very nice, how much? You could chuck a few of these on TardMe :)

Could definitely chuck a few on Tardme, the clock inserts are about $20 delivered.. I just don't know how much to list one for.

Going to make a lamp out of the my 190E's cam shaft, just need to find a machine shop that can drill longitudinally through it for the cord to run through.

engraving hint: use tape. rule your guidelines. carefully print your script on the tape, stick to the substrate. use slowest rotational speed on your engraver that you can, and try to maintain your hand at same angle to the substrate as you trace your words. I've found that it catches and wants to head in its own direction when I've leant the cutter head over. take your time.

I've done some using an engraving cutter on my dremel with handpiece; with some patience you can get good results. peel tape off afterwards, boomshankah!

HTH

Olaf

• Like 1

^ alternatively,

polish to smooth finish, tape up, sand blast with rough grit, stain with enamel, rub clean.

engraving hint: use tape. rule your guidelines. carefully print your script on the tape, stick to the substrate. use slowest rotational speed on your engraver that you can, and try to maintain your hand at same angle to the substrate as you trace your words. I've found that it catches and wants to head in its own direction when I've leant the cutter head over. take your time.

I've done some using an engraving cutter on my dremel with handpiece; with some patience you can get good results. peel tape off afterwards, boomshankah!

HTH

Olaf

Excellent tips, thanks. I used the engraving tip on the Dremel but at half speed with no tape/writing. Might have to practice on some spare metal.

^ alternatively,

polish to smooth finish, tape up, sand blast with rough grit, stain with enamel, rub clean.

What do you mean stain with enamel? Quite like a Bronze finish, got seven more here I can play with haha.

Dude, what makes it cool is that it isn't perfect.

If you make it look like a bought one it just looks like you bought it.

Diy win!