Sign in to follow this  
gjm

F01

Someone here must have driven one... Whassitlike, mister?

One of the parents at our daughter's school has one - looks very nice. No idea which engine. And it more than likely cost several buckets of unaffordium so I'll have to dream for a while, but I'm keen to hear of driving impressions.

I think the F01 would be enough compensation. The extra 5.5" isn't really needed. :)

I've driven a couple of F01s, only over short distances though.

General impression was of floating along, very comfortable but not really my thing. Can probably change the settings to firm things up if you want though!

General impression was of floating along, very comfortable but not really my thing. Can probably change the settings to firm things up if you want though!

I wouldn't be surprised if you could use your phone to arrange for an onboard coffee machine to have a long black ready for you when you go out to the car on a cold morning!

I drove an older S-class Mercedes (one or another of them) for years in the UK. Great cars. A little uneconomical for my current commute, though. The diesel F01s would be much cheaper.

That front grille kills everything though.

One was following me on the motorway, I had to let it pass so I didn't have to keep seeing it in my rear vision mirror.

An F10 5er would be a more sensible choice :)

• Like 1

That front grille kills everything though.

Agreed - after a country drive, you've have to look in the grilles to see what got caught - pukekos, hawks, milking sheds etc.

That grille is probably the size of a complete original 7 series.

• Like 3

we had an F02 750iL in at work the other day. damn that thing was lush!

I quite like the front grill.

But like the front of a E85 Z4, too.

(Gets coat...)

• Like 4

Is an E65 more to everyone's liking? I saw one of those for sale this morning... Scary stuff. A car which would have nudged $200k little more than 10 years ago, now selling for under $10k.

There have always been bargains to be had on these upper echelon cars, but that still seems quite a staggering depreciation.

Of course, it probably takes into account the repair bills when that huge list of options starts to go wrong!

• Like 1

yeah Graham, with regards to E65s, think they just have too many problems that scare people off so they are very worthless because of their initial cost and complexity etc. Once again a supply and demand thing, not much demand for expensive used limos with lots of hidden issues to address, hence rock bottom pricing.

Issues like electric handbrake control failure to mention one thing are the kind of thing that shouldnt go wrong, yet they do.

Edited by Michael.

Is an E65 more to everyone's liking?

NO!

E38.

:P

• Like 3

Actually... if Mrs W didn't think E38's were "ugly, old man cars", and they had 5 lap and diagonal belts, we'd have one instead of the E39...

... I was gunning for a very late 728i, that I could convert to manual B) - I reckon they'd move OK, and have a good amount of space in the back for the kids, and pretty cheap to run. Either that, or a 740i B)

• Like 1

Actually... if Mrs W didn't think E38's were "ugly, old man cars", and they had 5 lap and diagonal belts, we'd have one instead of the E39...

... I was gunning for a very late 728i, that I could convert to manual B) - I reckon they'd move OK, and have a good amount of space in the back for the kids, and pretty cheap to run. Either that, or a 740i B)

my E38 728i is very spacious, boot is enormous as on all 7s. got enough pull, people often forget the smallest engine in the 7 is the biggest engine in the 3, the 3 fully loaded with people and gear is more than the weight of the 7.

Would think the 740i is the pick of the range in E38 chassis tho

As for E65, been in one on here belonging to a member, (he wont mind me saying this, he agrees), the dissapointing looks do extend to the cheap build quality inside, coatings peeling away around edge of the seats and door handles even worse than what occurs on E46. Not things that should be present on a $200k car, where "real" materials could have been used. dash design i find a bit... odd, but thats personal preferance much like the outside.

Some things like the colum shift lever and key features would take some getting used to, and would be unnatural unless its your only car.

However credit where credits due, the ride was very comfortable, seats and suspension worked well etc, and the V8 had enough grunt to get things moving.