Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Driving license minimum age

I heard a rumour earlier that an increase in the minimum age for a NZ driving license was being considered, from 16 to 17.

Given I've just agreed to buy a car for our daughter, and committed myself (personally and financially) to getting it sorted, I have a bit of a vested interest!

Anyone heard or know anything about this?

Can't see any recent articles on any news sources. Usually they're plastered with them if this were happening.

That would be tragic if they did.

People should be learning earlier IMO, gives them a better chance to actually LEARN to drive.

Maybe look at the system they have in Finland because something needs to be done.

• Like 3

Maybe look at the system they have in Finland because something needs to be done.

Isn't that where everyone is a rally driver?

• Like 2

That would be tragic if they did.

People should be learning earlier IMO, gives them a better chance to actually LEARN to drive.

I agree. The problem is no one is actually doing any teaching. But we all know this and it's been discussed many times already.

Thanks guys. I did have a good look around t'internet to see if I could find anything but when I drew blank thought I'd ask.

What I heard was that there weer discussions over raising the minimum age for a driving license (again), that the restricted phase would last 6 months (but could be accelerated by training) and that after 6 months a driver could take 1 passenger. (I understand they can take a passenger before that time provided the passenger holds a full, unrestricted license.)

An unrestricted license would not be granted until after 2 full years of driving had been completed, although this too could be accelerated by appropriate training.

Where the training is supposed to come from is another matter!

I think the US approach where 'driver ed' is taught in schools is a reasonable idea. I don't have any experience of such things or what that would entail. I know my daughter's school has some driving theory lessons, but no practical instruction.

I know I'm going to get shot at for this but the driving age in NZ needs to be raised to about 30 or so!... Worst drivers on the planet!!!

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 2

Driver ed at school is actually a very good idea.

Red Dwarf, I don't think that would fix anything as there seems to be an equal number of retards over the age of 30 on the road as there are under.

But it does shorten the total period that they're allowed to cause carnage!

• Like 2

But it does shorten the total period that they're allowed to cause carnage!

Hahaha.

They should raise the age to 18 , so when lil' Johnny leaves skool at 16 he gets 2 years to save up for a Godzilla to get his license in.

As we know our lawmakers know what's good for us. Their infinite wisdom has based experience on age discrimination not actual hours experience.

seriously though.....

They should lower the driving age to 14 years , but raise the age of car ownership [maybe to 18] and make the car owner responsible for the driver.

These laws already work a treat in the finance industry when the parents co-sign or go guarantor for their brats to buy something.

If they don't pay the finance co goes after the parents [with no excuses]

I've seen kids taught to drive in go karts or the race track in a controlled environment that are seldom a problem when they get on the road [ they generally have better skills and control of their egos ]

• Like 2

Willson says statistics show that at the age of 18 the vast majority of accidents caused by young drivers are down to bad judgement and decision making, and that behind the wheel "adult maturity isn't fully formed until you get past 25 for most cases of people".

But rather than raise the minimum age for driving, Willson believes parents and teachers should impart safe driving skills before the effects of adolescence really kick in.

"If you teach these children when their mindsets are pure and before they've been corrupted by things like Grand Theft Auto 5 and Top Gear and all these corrosive social pressures, then you get the road safety message in much earlier," says Willson.

"The government should look at this very carefully and put driving on the GCSE syllabus. So you teach kids to drive in terms of theory at school and all the right messages at 13, 14, 15, because when you get to 17 the testosterone is raging, all those corrosive influences are embedded."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194

• Like 1

I find that hard to believe.. I was the best driver in the world when I was 18!

• Like 3

Lol! I got old and sensible. And realised it's best to save it for the race track!