Sign in to follow this  
tawa

The inevitable e36 coupe project

are you free handing or do you have a template

Cardboard mockups, to CAD, then CNC profile cut. Few gaps and manual rework around the bumper profile (LHS and RHS not quite symmetrical it turns out), don't have a slip roller so the curved section has a bit of a gap also.

waiting for pic's fitted :thumbs-up:

Pretty keen to see also. Will you be making more?

• Like 1

See how this one turns out, fitment is to the standard bumper, not the motorsport (not that it would be too difficult to adapt the design I'm sure). Obviously there will be between infintesimal and zero performance gain unless the diff/rear suspension area is covered (or should the be undercovered?)...

That is an interesting channel, one of his other vids does show a bit of gains for diffuser only, but way more for a flat underbody. Not too sure on viability of going flat from front to back though, center is pretty flat anyway, maybe a section over the diff/axle/suspension pocket to join up with the diffuser. would want to direct some air flow over the diff though, that gets pretty hot already. And sort out a more minimal exhaust option at the same time. Always more to do!

Got it stuck together with sikaflex today, and filled the internal gaps along the 'rolled' bit. Few gaps along the bumper fitment to sort out still, plus mounting positions and hardware etc, then paint and final fitment (maybe next weekend).

• Like 1

Got a little more done on the 'diffuser' Still needs final sand and paint obviously, plus some mesh panels on the side exhaust sections. Coming together alright though I reckon.

170423-IMG_20170423_164111.jpg

• Like 4

Looking cool.  Issues with paint adhering to the Sikaflex?

Paint adheres fine I think, but may seems to stay tacky far longer. It's also not showing the same surface finish, I may redo some parts of it with bog/putty to get a better finish in that regard. It's on now though, and will do a bit of driving and see how it 'weathers' before getting to carried away with surface finish.

P1060147.JPG

• Like 1

Still chipping away at a good use for the jerco...

Thinking about black anodising the aluminium plate and spacers at the bottom to make the gearbox assembly pop out a bit more, not sure though.

170807-IMG_20170807_192312.jpg

• Like 1

The diffuser and front splitter look wicked! 
If you're willing to make extras... I know a guy with a loose wallet 

How many revs was it turning with the 3.46? 

Check your throttle cable for the rev hang, my proper manual one started doing it till I jizzed some lube up the sheath and stuff 

Minor upgrade to the center console, got sick of cables dingle-dangling all over the show.

I have the Grom USB and BT car kit, with a mag-connect USB cable. Replaced the little coin tray with one that can hold the flash drive and phone as well as the coins. Just flick the cable over to the phone when it needs a charge.

Works good apart from the 3d printed bits warping in the sun, and being a bit sh*t on the eyeballs; but you have to piss with the cock you got, right!

20200212_191507.jpg

20200212_191843.jpg

• Like 6

Got to say I really like those Wheels on the car. Are they Style 194's? I usually dont like newer BMW wheels on older cars but they look really good, any clearance issues, can you run a 245 40 17 at the back?

50 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Got to say I really like those Wheels on the car. Are they Style 194's? I usually dont like newer BMW wheels on older cars but they look really good, any clearance issues, can you run a 245 40 17 at the back?

I have some staggered style 194's in shadowchrome if you are interested John :)

17x8 front et34

17x8.5 rear et37

its a perfect fit on the e36 coupe with no rubbing or clearance issues.

wider track width than standard e36 wheel fitment also.

has near new tyres on them in staggered fit, blacklions -  they are 225 45 17 and 255 40 17

On 2/19/2020 at 6:56 PM, Herbmiester said:

Yeh 194s, I run 225s all round, little bit of stretch as the rears are a wider rim. There's not a huge amount of clearance on the rears so not keen to run anything wider without some mods. Maybe they come in different offsets or something if @qube has 255s running without clearance issues.

• Like 1

So I found a bit of copper in the last oil change (wish I'd known that before faffed around getting a wof), which has kicked this project into the next gear, which was always the longer term plan anyway.

I'm planning on a repower, thinking M54B30 based, 6speed manual, large case LSD, upsized half shafts and chassis strengthening to suit max 500Nm.

Got an E70 x5 to get around in for the meantime...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tawa said:

So I found a bit of copper in the last oil change (wish I'd known that before faffed around getting a wof), which has kicked this project into the next gear, which was always the longer term plan anyway.

I'm planning on a repower, thinking M54B30 based, 6speed manual, large case LSD, upsized half shafts and chassis strengthening to suit max 500Nm.

Got an E70 x5 to get around in for the meantime...

Did you get a lab test or see flakes in there? 

18 hours ago, Michael. said:

Did you get a lab test or see flakes in there? 

Saw the flakes, certainly they're more at the sparkle end than the chunk end, and nothing I could see in the filter.

• Sad 1

Would need to be pretty large amount of bearing wear to be leaving copper flakes, usually you will see silver schmoo in the oil a long time before that happens

On 9/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, dirtydoogle said:

Would need to be pretty large amount of bearing wear to be leaving copper flakes, usually you will see silver schmoo in the oil a long time before that happens

Don't recall any silver schmoo, only other place I can think of with copper is the crush washer, but I've not heard of those making flakes like that. Tbh, I wanted an x5 anyway and to repower the e36 anyway ;)

• Like 1