Sign in to follow this  
Bonto

ping!

Ok... so crank seal must have let go a little while back and an oily cambelt followed, at pace yesterday on the west side of lewis pass while heading back to dunedin. It's currently secure thanfully. Its a manual e28 525e. Not immaculate but sound, 245kms. I like the car, othwise this would be a no brainer.

I have to either go get it this weekend or go get the stuff in it before leaving it for scrap OR get it transported back to DN.

Talk sense to me please! Or sell me your 2.7 ETA engine.

Edited by Bonto

Go get it, take it home, then decide what you want to do.

I'd be keen on parts (specifically the shift linkage) if you decide to go that route. But If the rest of the car is sound then fix it.

Thanks guys.

Trailer booked, heading over on Saturday early and we'll get the old girl home and decide what to do after that. Probably fix and work over a bunch of other niggles at the same time.

In case anyone is interested, the cost to get it transported from Springs Junction to central Dunedin was $750 + GST. Probable cost to go get it inc trailer rental and gas is going to be around $450.00 and a road trip with my uncle so overall not as much sting as it could have been.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Situations like this really make it worth getting an AA plus membership. Includes transporting your car up to 400 kilometres to your home or to your chosen workshop. They'll even put you up in accommodation if you get stuck somewhere. Only $50 a year when you add it to your current AA membership.

• Like 3

So this is what I found today when I finally got it open. Cambelt OK but little tension to speak of, a broken camshaft and 6 bent valves... Must have loosened off and jumped some teeth.

Not sure what to think of this because I remember following the steps/torque settings to the letter (belt had far more tension when I did the work). Distinctly possible I got something wrong though!

Belt, tensioner and various other parts came from BnT. Not OEM needless to say.

Question: What would the general consensus be re sorting the head / replacing it and putting it back together. Are the pistons crank likely to be OK - they are virtually unmarked.

post-37920-0-40436500-1451381136.jpg

post-37920-0-45472600-1451381165.jpg

post-37920-0-17817100-1451381200.jpg

So I threw out a b25 cam today right. Was pretty warn though. Have a few spare rockers and valves you are welcome to.

Depends what you want to do/ spend, Head wise I'd get it checked, most likely valve seat damage. When we did ours spent about 700 on new parts like gaskets, waterpump, tstat, cambelt etc with another 700 for head crack and hardness tested, resurfaced, new valve seat and all valves faced and laped, then all assembled ourselves.

Where as you can pick a whole motor up for less than that

Edited by euroriffic

Yep, cheers Justin. It's tricky. I really want to keep it going but it will be all of the that. I haven't seen b27s come up all that often, but I'm sure I could find one, then as you've mentioned, belts, seals, tstat etc... Then all the other niggly little things that are still wrong with it...

B27's are rare as rockinghorse because everyone wants the blocks to stroke their B25's to 2.7 litres.

Go all out... put a M30B35 in it.

• Like 1

B27's are rare as rockinghorse because everyone wants the blocks to stroke their B25's to 2.7 litres.

Go all out... put a M30B35 in it.

There's a m20b27 on Trademe at the moment. I've also got an m30b35 you could buy, but you would also need a new gearbox (different bellhousing between m20 and m30) which I also have.

its worth fixing in my opinion if the rest of the car is all right.A sound manual e 28 will have attraction to some

• Like 1

Pistons, crank etc will be fine. Put another head in it, even a b25 head will do the job.

Looks like the head of a head bolt snapped off?

Pistons, crank etc will be fine. Put another head in it, even a b25 head will do the job.

Looks like the head of a head bolt snapped off?

Yes! Was surprised to see that had gone. I'm guessing the shock to the valve gear did that rather than movement in the head.

I've bought a replacement M20b27 from a low kms (115km) car which has just had cam belt work in the last 5k kms. It arrives in 10 days or so. The old block I'll put aside and look to build a stroker or something over the next little while.

Will knock off a few other jobs along the way.

Damage may have been in a different order than you think. Bolt head may have come of first, jamming the cam and doing everything else.

Those bolts were regarded as a "common" failure not too many years ago.

It was a "thing" to look for, and change to the later type, in the early days on the M20 engines.