Sign in to follow this  
pommy

E36 M3 advice

Hi guys,

Has anyone seen the green E36 M3 on TM? Interested in your thoughts about the price & is it worth it?

Also steering away slightly from the topic... I am looking at purchasing either a e36 m3 or E46 m3 both manual not smg. which would be the better buy? Cheers.

This one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1010980782.htm

For kms and condition it looks like not a bad price. I'd be asking to see service/ maintainence records since there's not much info. But are generally pretty robust apart from the usual e36 issues.

having only driven my e36 m3 I couldn't compare it to an e46, but I'm sure someone will help there

• Like 1

Having driven both and owned an E46.. the E46 every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1010980782.htm

For kms and condition it looks like not a bad price. I'd be asking to see service/ maintainence records since there's not much info. But are generally pretty robust apart from the usual e36 issues.

having only driven my e36 m3 I couldn't compare it to an e46, but I'm sure someone will help there

Cheers for the link, I couldnt seem to do it fron my phone! I drove it tonight but when I got there it wasn't driving on all cylinders so couldnt go for a good drive ( said it was because its been stood for a while! but looks in good nick! I have a suspition that the varnos was making noises at the front should I be worried?/quote]

Having driven both and owned an E46.. the E46 every time.

Thanks.

At the end of the day it comes down to a) budget, and B) driving both and seeing which you prefer

Considering E46s can be had for sub $20k id be inclined to spend the extra

Vanos isn't too bad to rebuild and doesn't have a catastrophic failure like the e46.

For what he states as being one of the tidiest in NZ it should be running on all 6, but probably something simple as new plugs or coils

• Like 1

E46 M3 and E36 M3 are really quite different cars and driving experiences.

Drive both, decide which you prefer, go for what you want and you won't be disappointed.

Having said this, of course the E36 M3 is the best... ;)

E46 M3 the better looker, the E36 M3 the better sports car

• Like 4

That green one has been on TM for yonks, since 2014 apparently. Its not badly priced, so makes me wonder why no one has taken it yet.

I wouldnt trust that its not running properly because its been sitting, thats a load of crap. Get it properly inspected before purchase. I also have the feeling it was previously a forum members car?

The 36/46 debate is a hard one. I really enjoyed my E36 M3, but i would take a well maintained E46 M3 any day. better engine, better chassis, better comforts. More issues to worry about in the 46 though, and pretty terminal ones at that.

Cheers guys,

Will drive both & decide. Im a bit scared about the green one... but it was nice in person! Either way it would be checked first. Maybe I could get Ray to check it out for me.

Could have been a cracked air flow hose too. common on E36 and feels like you've dropped a cylinder.

The link has expired but i think if it was a green one it was CRZYARAB's one.

After driving both E36 and E46 M3's, I liked them both. I chose an E36 because they're older and I prefer the styling. They just feel more special to me. Also less to go wrong.

what is the name of the music in this video