Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Z3s - tell me about them

Your experiences, from ownership or from driving.

I'm sure there are many parallels in terms of running gear and especially engine/gearbox that can be drawn with contemporary models.

Please though - no hearsay or conjecture!

call me if you like

• Like 1

Hired one for part of honeymoon in1999. Two weeks of top down fun. Great little car, was a 1.9. Some of the best motoring had in a BMW and on pair with e46 m3 .

Couple years later I win a weekend BMWNZ drive of the 3.0 version. Still fun but really annoying exhaust drone around 109 kmh. Auto gearbox was very lazy ( are these adaptive?) so either nothing when overtaking or full on to the point of loosing traction on tight 2-3rd corners.

For me the 1.9 manual was a great drive and the 3.0 auto wasn't a great experience.

I thinking I'll get one of these (1.9) for the daughters first car, but have been thinking of one for the comute.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

I drove one when looking at an MX-5 years ago.

Think it was a 2.2 auto, bit of a laugh but did have that budget BMW feel about it. Didn't strike me as a particularly safe car with its size but I guess that is the risk with small convertibles.

Hired one for part of honeymoon in1999. Two weeks of top down fun.

Yes, but what was the car like?

• Like 9

Zero, if my wife saw this post your days on this earth would be limited ?

Might pay to take a second glance every time you see a blue e36 328i......you've been warned

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

Owned an 01 z3 with the 2.2L motor 10 years ago. Had it for about a year. Fun car to drive. Found the 2.2L sounded good in the car when driving but lacked performance. At the time, the 2.8L should have been the better car. Ran fine and zero issues. I later bought a z4 with the 3.0 motor ans was a much better drive / performance. Only issue with a convertable is that everyone looks at the driver and not at the car when the top is down. That is OK if you are a hot 20yo blonde ... lol

• Like 1

the 2.8L M52 ones make ideal donors for E36 compact race car builds.

thats all that maters.

• Like 1

the 2.8L M52 ones make ideal donors for E36 compact race car builds.

thats all that maters.

I can see that. ;)

I have half an eye on a 1.9 manual with a hard top, but wanted to learn more - as much as possible - before even thinking of going to look at it.

I currently own 2 Z3's. Love them. Both 2000, one is 2.0L manual and the other is 3.0L auto. I daily drive the 2.0L.

So how do they go:

- BMW spec's, 3.0L, 228 HP and 0-60 mile/h in 5.8 sec. It's no slouch. 2.0L 148HP 0-60 mile/h in 8.5 sec. Slower then most performance cars but still good for a mid range car.

- they corner well, can have a bit of sideways shuffle if you push them really hard. Fixed by firmer suspension and front strut tower brace.

- comfortable ride on OEM rubber bushings. Putting Poly sub-frame bushings in will stiffed the rear end for performance driving and give a slight increase in NVH and amplified diff noise. There is an alternative OEM bushing mod to poly bushings.

- Economical? both cars average 9.5L/100km around town and 8.3l/100KM on the open road. Both have given 7.6l/100M on long lazy trips when a constant speed can be maintained.

- Performance. The 3.0L ticks along at 2,200 RPM at 100 KM/H and has plenty of get up a go when needed. It will kick down from 5th to 3rd and go, or you can flick it into tiptronic and drive it like a manual. The 2.0L is a good daily drive at 3,000 rpm at 100 km/h, nothing startling in performance until you get it above 3,500 rpm.

- Parts are easy to get

- Can easily fit cruise control to 2000 or later models. Expensive cruise control mod for earlier cars.

- recommend only buying a 6 cylinder car, The 1.9's are getting higher KM now and have the same "behind the head heater hose Y connector" failure problem that kills the 318ti engines

- Higher powered manual Z3's tend to rip the dif mount cross member out of the boot if you performance drive them. Poly sub-frame bushings control the stresses better to help avoid this problem

- really excellent support through international forums, check out http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?137-Z3-(E36-7-E36-8) Especially the FAQ's at the top where you will get to read all about the regular things that need fixing.

- My preferred Z3 would be a 3.0L manual.

- I just love the top down driving and the curved shape of the car.

- Lets face it, the speed limit is 100km/h. Any Z3 will comfortably perform for the normal driver adequately. If you are into faster acceleration, then pick a Z3 with a larger motor.

Hope this helps

Muzz

• Like 1

I currently own 2 Z3's. Love them. Both 2000, one is 2.0L manual and the other is 3.0L auto. I daily drive the 2.0L.

- recommend only buying a 6 cylinder car, The 1.9's are getting higher KM now and have the same "behind the head heater hose Y connector" failure problem that kills the 318ti engines

Hope this helps

Muzz

Great info - thanks.

If this happens it'll primarily be a car for our daughter so a smaller engine is certainly preferred. Ron's comments about the Z4 are happily accepted - in a perfect world that might be the aim now. As it is, that'll have to wait for quite a bit later.

Is there any sort of preventative fix that can reasonably be done to prevent the y-connector failure?

Yes, do a water hose replacement. There are a number of treads on this in that Z3 forum.

Yes the Z4 are very nice cars. I have driven a couple of roadsters and coupes. They have more room, better ride and performance. The shape has yet to grow on me.

• Like 1

Yes, do a water hose replacement. There are a number of treads on this in that Z3 forum.

Yes the Z4 are very nice cars. I have driven a couple of roadsters and coupes. They have more room, better ride and performance. The shape has yet to grow on me.

Thanks Murray. :)

I drove a Z4 today. 2.5, manual gearbox, metallic grey...

Miss M is not having one of them (yet).

I'd like one, though! :D