Sign in to follow this  
Jagan

Can you suggest me a good BMW model to buy?

Jagen,

Before you start posting trademe links to every car you find on trademe, do a bit of google research on what you are looking for.

this is "E90 BMW" "N42 engine" "N52 engine" etc.

Also you need to identify what is the most important to you in terms of options/spec when looking for a car.

Key things to consider are: NZ NEW or import (usually Japan but sometimes Singapore), Motorsport spec/highline spec/standard spec, leather interior or suede fabric, sunroof, iDrive system, LCI (also known as facelift) or not LCI (pre-facelift), petrol or diesel, etc etc.

Glenn is your man if you - find a car you like and after driving it you are happy to purchase it, BUT you are not 100% sure about the mechanical condition of the car so you need to get a full proper professional "Pre-purchase inspection" done on it to give you peace of mind that you are buying a good condition car not one with underlying hidden problems.

Some basic notes for you:

320i = 4 cylinder - Stay away like the plague

325i = 6 cylinder - Good engine but there are some bad examples so try to find one with some service history and preferably from a good owner.

Dont believe the trademe advertisements 100%. Lots of dodgy dealers advertise their cars as "MOTORSPORT SPEC" or similar but are just selling a standard poverty model with dressed up wheels or M badges. If you are unsure, post up a link - we can identify which is the real deal and which is a fake quite easily.

Dont worry too much about Kms, focus more on trying to find a NZ New or one that meets all your other options and get a PPI done with Glenn once you are fairly certain that it is the car for you. (I would rather have a car thats done 130,000 kms in excellent serviced condition than a fresh import from japan thats done 20,000kms and pay a $5000 premium)

Lastly, although we are here to help you make an informed decision on what to buy, at the end of the day, you cant forget that you are buying a BMW - this comes with sudden and unexpected bills and sometimes expensive repairs. You should and need to be prepared to have some spare cash in your pocket for emergencies so dont think you can buy the most expensive, newest, lowest km BMW and expect trouble free motoring for 5 years. Its just not going to happen.

Welcome to the forum lol.

• Like 2

So far you've emphasized cheap maintenance and 4 doors, without a word on performance, luxury, handling or looks. Based on that I'd point you to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corrola.

If low maintenance is one of your top priorities then you're looking at the wrong car brand. High end cars come with high end maintenance bills. You need to pay to play.

What do you actually want in a car? You need to start with thinking about what you want. Is performance important, do you care for rear-wheel drive (one of the biggest selling points of a BMW), do you care for high end interior with leather, a car that handles well at speed on twisty roads... or does that not phase you?

Don't choose a car just because you think the brand is nice...

Not trying to put you off, just putting your decision to the test to see if you know what you're getting into.

Edited by Matth5

Do not buy a modern diesel if you only drive 10000 k a year in short trips

Sounds like you want one just for the badge. Id suggest sticking with your Honda as it appears to meet your requirements, its always going to be cheaper maintain.

What a lovely response to a new member :(

Just stating my opinion from the information provided, i wasn't out to spite him. Always someone crying about something trivial these days.

Just stating my opinion from the information provided, i wasn't out to spite him. Always someone crying about something trivial these days.

Keep up the bmw stereotype.

• Like 1

Thanks for the honest and open feedback guys...I am really scared now :) Looks like I have to spend some more time to find out WHY I need BMW?

I will do some research and come back later....Thanks a lot

• Like 1

Nothing to be scared about.

The main difference is that most BMW owners (especially the ones on this forum) actually LIKE spending money to make our cars better.

There are plenty of other BMW and other car owners that buy for probably similar reasons to you and just drive it and spend money on when it fails something for WOF or a service - this is OKAY (despite what others on this forum might try to tell you lol)

The only thing to worry about is with the problematic 4 cylinder 320i models which are just famous for having major issues that cost a lot of money. No one wants this to happen. Make sure you find a model with a good reputation such as a 325i and see if the 2.5L petrol engine is suitable for your needs - power wise, fuel consumption, etc.

Then lastly make sure to get a proper PPI (pre purchase inspection) done at a good BMW workshop such as Botany motor worx in Botany or similar to make sure the car checks out. If they find anything that needs fixing you can use that to negotiate the price down to reflect the cost to repair or find another car.

Just for example, I havent had to do anything to my 325i wagon except oil and filter servicing and just making sure everything is okay such as coolant level etc. It is a great car and I hope nothing goes wrong but I know that I wont be having major and expensive engine troubles like a 320i.

Hi Kyu,

You provided really valid points and thanks for the information. I would take some more time to find out why do I need a BMW? For now i am just looking for a brand and nothing else...:)

Thanks

If you are prepared the pay the initial premium and the higher maintenance costs, then a BMW will be far superior to a Honda. Thats the cost for the brand.

Im sure if modern BMW's used decent quality plastic they be far more reliable. The plastic quality difference between my W140 and E38\E39 etc is day and night, and they both use recycled stuff.

Technically BMW's are superior but the average person usually takes the most reliable.

Bit of a false economy these days buying a bmw for the brand status. You could probably pick up a tidy low mileage e9x 320i for 10k..... Looks nice, handles well. Lemon engine.