Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

My new SS Commodore... in a sharp german suit

24 March 2023.  187549kms

I've had very little seat time in the the e60. I've started it monthly, hadn't driven it since Jan.  .

1.  Brake Fluid Flush

Scheduled brake fluid flush.  Yes, anyone else would probably ignore this!

2.  WoF

It flew through it's WoF, as you'd expect.

3.  Registration

12 months rego bought and paid for, now current to 31/3/2024.

Next steps - suss out job to address the variable intake actuator code, get that resolved, then find it a new home.  Tears my heart every time I drive it as it's so very good, though find a new home it must.

• Like 1

Tempting.  Need to sell my car!

• Like 1

30 June 2023.  1875??kms

I dusted off the e60. Since the WoF, just a monthly start.  Covid mkII in April, life has been quiet.

1.  Full Tank of Fuel

Posterity post.  We'll remember when fuel was "cheap".  I took the opportunity to fill the tank before our "finance minister" put the Excise and GST (29c per litre) back on fuel during our cost of living crisis.  $2.31/l   As I type this 20 July Tinakori Waitomo 95 is $.59.9/l according to Gaspy, BP Connect Adelaide Rd are charging $2.999/l, and BP Connect Roadmaster is rewarding big spenders with $3.139/l of 98.  Still, a cruise up country at 9.5 litres/100, it's pure pleasure!

IMG_2852.jpeg

2.  Fuel Stabiliser

Protecting that fuel 'investment'.  I figured while it spends a little more time in my rented garage, I should take measures to avoid 65 litres of fuel going off.  Penrite Fuel Stabiliser to the rescue!

IMG_2853.jpeg

So yeah, you buy this, it comes with a full tank!  I used to run it exclusively on BP 98, stopped a few tanks ago.  The Waitomo is good.

Edited by Olaf
Added images, formatted
  • Like 3

09 Dec 2023.  187879kms

I'd dusted off the e60 about a month ago, took it for a run to north wellington to give her a quick bath, and charge the battery. Certainly sparkled up, though wasn't so happy running (I am wondering if that was the fuel stabiliser it was taking exception to?).  I knew we had a remaining code to address - for the variable intake manifold.  The actuator is at the back of the manifold, and up against the firewall.  New intake manifold gaskets, and a replacement Intake actuator were the order of the day.

1.  Intake Manifold Actuator Replaced

Begley Motor Works performed their magic, replacing the intake manifold actuator, 90km road test, it was running beautifully.  I collected the car and had a very smooth trip back to Wellington.  Man this car is good on the open road!  I wondered what to do with it next?  Didn't take long to figure that one out - I took it on a BMW Car Club run over to Cape Paliser and back. It ran beautifully there and back... after lunch it threw a CEL, and had some minor misfire.  The CEL cleared itself next day, and car running brilliantly.  I've checked the codes and cleared them (one thousand thank yous mate - you know who you are)... and the car is fabulous.  A wash tomorrow and it's up for sale.  Sad to see it go, though weighing up the cost of the garage I rent for it, and the use it gets, it'll be seeking a new loving home.

IMG_3971.thumb.jpeg.3060c7f9ad9cf340f06c9538d524fc20.jpeg

Edited by Olaf
Sheepish
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, Olaf said:

09 Dec 2023.  187879kms

I'd dusted off the e60 about a month ago, took it for a run to north wellington to give her a quick bath, and charge the battery. Certainly sparkled up, though wasn't so happy running (I am wondering if that was the fuel stabiliser it was taking exception to?).  I knew we had a remaining code to address - for the variable intake manifold.  The actuator is at the back of the manifold, and up against the firewall.  New intake manifold gaskets, and a replacement Intake actuator were the order of the day.

1.  Intake Manifold Actuator Replaced

Begley Motor Works performed their magic, replacing the intake manifold actuator, 90km road test, it was running beautifully.  I collected the car and had a very smooth trip back to Wellington.  Man this car is good on the open road!  I wondered what to do with it next?  Didn't take long to figure that one out - I took it on a BMW Car Club run over to Cape Paliser and back. It ran beautifully there and back... after lunch it threw a CEL, and had some minor misfire.  The CEL cleared itself next day, and car running brilliantly.  I've checked the codes and cleared them (one thousand thank yous mate - you know who you are)... and the car is fabulous.  A wash tomorrow and it's up for sale.  Sad to see it go, though weighing up the cost of the garage I rent for it, and the use it gets, it'll be seeking a new loving home.

IMG_3971.thumb.jpeg.3060c7f9ad9cf340f06c9538d524fc20.jpeg

What are you going to ask for it?

Interesting question, @Kiwi_BMW.  I think it's worth every cent of $10k, given what it is and how well it's been maintained.  Though given the current state of the market, I'd list for $6k and take strong offers.  $5k5 for Bimmersport and BMW Club members.  Pay the asking price, and I'll top up the tank with Waitomo 95, and include a set of monoblock rims and a couple of oil filters I have in the cupboard.  I'll pick up from the Ferry, Airport, or bus.  
Are you keen?

I think eventually faithful e39 drivers will get to try a well-maintained e60 with active steering and dynamic drive, and realise that the all the years of development those clever German engineers put into the e60, utilising swathes more aluminium and acheiving a 50:50 weight distribution, the 333hp N62B44 V8, the e60 is a superior drive.  They'll be very pleased to have purchased before the classic aspect drives e60 up.

Edited by Olaf
future classic

23 hours ago, Olaf said:

Interesting question, @Kiwi_BMW.  I think it's worth every cent of $10k, given what it is and how well it's been maintained.  Though given the current state of the market, I'd list for $6k and take strong offers.  $5k5 for Bimmersport and BMW Club members.  Pay the asking price, and I'll top up the tank with Waitomo 95, and include a set of monoblock rims and a couple of oil filters I have in the cupboard.  I'll pick up from the Ferry, Airport, or bus.  
Are you keen?

I think eventually faithful e39 drivers will get to try a well-maintained e60 with active steering and dynamic drive, and realise that the all the years of development those clever German engineers put into the e60, utilising swathes more aluminium and acheiving a 50:50 weight distribution, the 333hp N62B44 V8, the e60 is a superior drive.  They'll be very pleased to have purchased before the classic aspect drives e60 up.

I still have my E39 540is and a 04 530i E60, so I'm aware of the features of the E60 and the advancements in features, but i do miss the V8 in the E60

469C8F7C-B4EF-48B0-AFCC-EAD70597334D.jpeg

you know what to do.

09 Jan 2024.  188500kms

Having got through Xmas, it was time to get back to this car.  On saturday morning I pulled it from the garage (started first time, settled into a beautiful idle.

1.  Went to BMW Car Club cars and coffee meet.

This car is a superb camera platform.  Park on side of road, get out and shoot pictures 😀.  Easy access to the cavernous trunk to select weapon of choice.

_RPA2000_2400_300dpi.thumb.jpg.37bd1f88d40e26d277cc453fddf7bbb0.jpg

Always great variety at a BMWCCNZ meet-up!

_RPA2019_2400_300dpi.thumb.jpg.d060b7335cc167a0afcf6a214e6230f5.jpg

unwashed e60 in it's natural habitat, yesterday

2. Washed and photographed for Sale Listing.

AutoGlym shampoo.  Wash, rinse.  Wheels with AutoGlym Clean Wheels and AutoGlym Wheel Brush.  Rinse, dry with speed towel.  Easy.   Oh, and disgusting Meguiars Trye stuff that refuses to finish.  The Auto Glym stuff is much nicer, though this needs to be used up first.  It's probably an envionmental disaster in a plastic bottle, makes the tyres look spangly though.

I did some running around in it during the afternoon, collecting daughter's friends and generally performing 'Dad Taxi' duties.  It's using less fuel and idles better, moves off from the traffic lights more smoothly since that actuator was replaced.  

Waited for sun to get low enough for soft light.  Shot images, edited.  Looking good eh?  

_RPA2099_2400_300dpi-2.thumb.jpg.d118dc6f035d34db198afd309135104d.jpg

Scrubs up nicely with minimal effort.

Now time to compose ad copy, and list.

Edited by Olaf
pics
  • Like 5

I don't keep track of E60 sales but given the maintenance performed and condition it seems very good buying at ~6k. I dont think ive seen an E60 for sale that appear to say 'only spent the bare minimum on it'.

• Thanks 1

Even the rear privacy screen works, it's really swish... touch of a button in the driver's door 😊.  It's got the Logic 7 sound system, pretty good.  Heated (Sports multifunction) Steering Wheel even!

Listed in the For Sale room, and on TradeMe.

12 Feb 2024.  188659kms

I pulled it from the garage and drove it yesterday to get to the Brit & Euro Car Day 2024 at Trentham.  It ran beautifully.

1.  Final items before sale

• WoF.  Flew through it's WoF.
  • Aircon Re-gas.  Completed, comments were 'added dye, it was half full.  Working well'.  I'm sure that a couple of years with little use didn't help the seals keep the refrigerant in.
  • Added Rego.  Easy at VTNZ, expires 31 Aug 2024.

2.  Sold.

With luck the new keeper may continue this thread... and even join the BMW Car Club of NZ.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.  I'll miss this car.  On the upside, may have a new friend 🙂.

• Like 3

Placeholder post

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Placeholder post

For what one wonders - an M car? 😁

congrats on the sale!

• Thanks 1

@treone nah I've given notice on my rented garage, and getting rid of storage next will free up ~$550-600/month.  With a prevailing wind I should have the e30 project back on track this year...

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:44 AM, Olaf said:

@treone nah I've given notice on my rented garage, and getting rid of storage next will free up ~$550-600/month.  With a prevailing wind I should have the e30 project back on track this year...

I fell into renting space at one point. It was so good to have somewhere to put everything! But.... $$$. :(

Exhibiting self-control I didn't know I had, I now keep everything at home. And if there isn't space, then something has to go.

(Until I can build a bigger shed...)

the joy of living in Wellington perched on a hillside is that offstreet secure parking is scarce and ++$.