hunter

Project E39

Not a great month for keeping fluids in the car in Feb.

first, the hose from the washer reservoir/pump split just behind the bumper, and then completely disintegrated whilst I was inspecting it.

the line that runs behind the wheel liner is all sorts of different hoses and joiners so has been "repaired" previously - a new hose with new joiners from BMW is now waiting to go in.

Second, the brand new top radiator hose bleed screw decided to blow its top while I was towing a trailer load of sand across town. Thankfully the bottom half of the screw stayed put so I was able to get home before all the coolant jizzed all over the engine bay.

I had to remove the top radiator hose to get the remnants of the screw out and it was like a sponge, thoroughly soft boiled never seen this before has anyone else?

I have a brass one to go back in its place with some fresh BMW blue juice.

Weird issue indeed. Did that bleed screw come with hose? I know you gave me an extra OE one, can't remember if it used it there or not. 

yeah, i think that one in the hose came with it, i had an extra one in the car just in case it was needed, that was OE, don't think it was used though. 

Seems to be some defective examples, probably recycled plastics ?

Im assuming just a random part failure\quality control issue given how quickly it failed. Hopefully all the other bits hold up. I havent had any issues with their parts, but you dont know if are declining in quality over the years. I think Rein are ok for the price point but the genuine stuff its more trustworthy.   

Yeah the top rad hose looks all good I think with a brass bleed screw in it it’ll be sweet as

Turns out the brass screws don’t fit very well compared to the OEM plastic, they just don’t seem to seal up very tight.

the one I added to the top hose leaked immediately

Even the previously installed one on the reservoir had a trickle leak noticeable under torch light. 

so back to plastic fantastic all round. 

I don't think it's particularly clever using a brass plug there. Different materials, different thermal expansion rates and all that. Switched mine over for a stock plastic one from the brass one that came on the car, haven't had any issues in that area. 

Coolant is holding well after a coupe of drives around town. 
today I replaced the headlight washer hose with a new part from BMW. went in super easy. A previous owner had repaired this section before with several metal joiners. 
for a touch of passenger luxury I also installed some Febi rear cup holders. 🤣

48187345-41F3-4F55-81F2-1218C1D029F8.jpeg

• Like 1

Replaced the driver door lock actuator today. Been meaning to get around to this one for a while. Bit the bullet and glad to did it the old was one pretty worn. 
gettingit out and the new one in was extra challenging due to it being the drivers door and you need to fondle the lock barrel sprig into place in re entry as well as the tight Bowden cable for the door handle. 

Patience and breathing and it only took about an hour. Lol. 

discovered along the way I don’t need to retro grade my facelift door handle cables to fit the e38 illuminated interior handles despite what various sources say. Must be a difference for Japanese models?

hopefully I can return the parts I bought for a credit or refund from Coombes. 

Edited by hunter
  • Like 2

E38 illuminated interior door handles installed today. Couple of hours work with genuine used parts, incl wires thanks @hqstu

srivers door was the hardest, other were super easy. Checked all the Vapor barrier seals while I was in there patched a couple of spots with butyl tape and the heat gun. 

night cruising wil come with added ambiance now. 😎

IMG_7103.jpeg

IMG_7102.jpeg

IMG_7111.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 8

Coolant system appears to be leaking again. Possibly from the top of the expansion tank, under the fan shroud. Sh!t. 

not what I need before a 3000km trip next month. Will be booking it in to Coombes for a pressure test this week.  

31 minutes ago, hunter said:

Coolant system appears to be leaking again. Possibly from the top of the expansion tank, under the fan shroud. Sh!t. 

not what I need before a 3000km trip next month. Will be booking it in to Coombes for a pressure test this week.  

Damn. Is that bleeder line under there. Should of hit me up. ive got a pressure tester.

@Eagle Ohh have you. I haven’t booked it in yet…

im around tomorrow morning if you’re free. 

The coolant leak was sorted, seems to have had a touch too much fluid in it and held pressure as expected, thanks @Eagle for testing at short notice.

Last Thursday, 18th May, I returned from a 3600 KM round trip from Hamilton to Aarow town and surrounding locations as part of the BMW Car Club NZ South Island tour. it was fantastic and the car ran flawlessly the whole way. With 21 cars and nearly 40 people it was a trip to remember  

I even did 3 laps of highlands park with no issues except some hot, smelly brakes afterwards. :D

Needless to say, even the longer drives 8 or 9 hours stretches were no trouble given the refreshed seat base and brilliant ergonomics of the E39 platform.

IMG_7260.jpeg

Kaikoura 

IMG_7269.jpeg

E39 Park up just outside Fairlie 

IMG_7348.jpeg

Arrowtown morning briefing, Club Touring day 1

IMG_7356.jpeg

Classic little general store Ida Valley-Omakau Road, Otago

IMG_7375.jpeg

E39 trio, Oamaru.from left to right;  M5, Alpina B10 V8, 530i MSport

IMG_7391.jpeg

Ohau

IMG_7427.jpeg

Church of the Good Shepherd, Sunrise, Lake Tekapo, 3 degrees and dropping. Temp hit -4.5 between Tekapo and Fairlie

Edited by hunter
Added pics
  • Like 6

New boot struts fitted today. Boot now doesn’t act like a guillotine when closing and feels a lot more solid in its overall action. 
cheap and satisfying. 
Bonnet will be up next. 

• Like 1

Yeah new ones feel almost too hard to lift some days, but then you think about them having to work on big slopes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yeah new ones feel almost too hard to lift some days, but then you think about them having to work on big slopes.

Yeah it was the hood falling on me a little when the car was point down a slight slope that initiated this little upgrade. I caught it, but could have hurt a fair bit. 

A newly detected shimmy above 80kph needed further investigation this week. (since Sth Island trip and a club drive through the Waikato)

First-stop wheel balancing. this revealed all 4 corners needed balancing and the front tires need replacing asap. they are starting to delaminate and the inner edge is worn through the top layer (a progression of poor alignment from having bent steering knuckles up until Feb this year 😕 

So, i'm off tire shopping...

PS5's no doubt. Should last much longer than PS4's.

18 minutes ago, Eagle said:

PS5's no doubt. Should last much longer than PS4's.

Yeah mate. PS5’s for sure. 

still need to find that noise around the brakes too. 

2x front PS5's fitted yesterday, they feel so nice up front. 

With the old rubber removed I can see how the disintegrating rubber was creating a worsening vibration. will get some pics up.

Glad to have done it before the BMW Club run this weekend and will need to do the rears before the end of the year. 

Where you buy them from?. Yeah i can come over one weekend and look at the brakes if you like

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Where you buy them from?. Yeah i can come over one weekend and look at the brakes if you like

Oh mean man. Thanks. will PM about that   

I got the tires from Capital Tires in Hamilton CBD. they bettered a price I got from beaurepairs incl my work discount. So was stoked with that. 

• Like 1

The rattle coming from the driver's side front brake has been resolved.

Thanks to @Eagle for the assist. have always been nervous about brake work.

The brakes were removed and the pads were checked, all were looking good we added some stop squeal on reinstallation, just to be sure.

I also resecured the dust shield, the lower pin and clip were quite loose and the only way to properly tighten is to remove the disc itself to gain access.

• Like 3

In E39 adjacent news, both in terms of location and enjoyment :)

I have added a new 2-wheeled machine to the garage. I have got my hands on a Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 "Urban Scrambler"

This bike is replacing the reliable, fun (but now considered by me) slightly underpowered Aprilia 125 Motard

The new machine, a single cylinder ~43HP is an interesting beat to get used to and I really like it. Having had big V-twins before the lumpy engine is familiar and will benefit some light mods (may fave :). namely a smaller front sprocket and Fuel-ex light to even out fueling particularly at lower revs.

IMG_0094.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 2