Jacko

The 130i Thread

12 minutes ago, Danch said:

After parking outside for a week, my 130i's headliner is now sagging. Any recommendations for upholsterers in Auckland? 

Stu's trim & sound in Wiri. Stu and Ross are legends. Had them do a handful of odd jobs over the years and never been disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danch said:

After parking outside for a week, my 130i's headliner is now sagging. Any recommendations for upholsterers in Auckland? 

I hopped in mine last week and had the same.. doh. 

https://aucklandautoupholstery.co.nz/ - Jimmy here did a great job, works out of his garage but obviously has a passion for doing good auto upholstery. 130 headliner looks new (and he has the exact fabric)

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

What's a job like that worth?  My black 130 of course has this issue.  Held up with push tacks.

Also need to recover the steering wheel.

Though this car may just end up being stripped out at some stage depending if the wife enjoys it on track.

7 minutes ago, Driftit said:

What's a job like that worth?  My black 130 of course has this issue.  Held up with push tacks.

Also need to recover the steering wheel.

Though this car may just end up being stripped out at some stage depending if the wife enjoys it on track.

$450+GST for the premium material, dropped it off at 8.30am and was done by 11am.

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

$450+GST for the premium material, dropped it off at 8.30am and was done by 11am.

Did yours have sunroof?

10 minutes ago, Danch said:

Did yours have sunroof?

Nah, he mentioned hes done heaps of them with sunroofs though. I pulled in and opened the door, he looked at the 130 and said "Headliner?"

• Like 1

Oh nowhere near as bad as I thought.
I should get it done.  As a can almost guarantee it will decide to fall down on me half way when I least want it to.

I actually DIY'd the headliner in my 130i with the help of my neighbor who is an auto upholsterer. Around the sunroof was the trickiest bit.

Made me appreciate how good upholsterers are though, no way I could have done it without his help. There's more technique to it than you might imagine. Getting everything stuck down evenly through the contours with no stretch or creases etc.

8 hours ago, Jacko said:

He says he's got cheaper material for $240 if I drop in the headliner. I'll see how the materials compare and decide. I've actually had few quotes now all around 200-300ish mark for drop in service. Don't know what sort of fabric they are using though.

• Like 1

Yeah the cheaper material didnt look/feel as nice, the better one is identical to stock (if not plusher).

• Like 1

Hi All

Looking to convert to European after a few years of being on the K20A train.

I’m set on a (lower k’s preferred) manual 130i. Though not a fan of the beige interior so far and have patiently, albeit regularly, looked at Trademe/FB for any new listings as the current ones look like they may need a bit of work - which is fine, though not yet ready to bite the bullet on any of them.

Just extending the search here in case anyone knows of a tidy manual 130i that could reluctantly be let go of, but comforted knowing that it will go to a great owner who will continue to keep it in good shape. Preferably based in AKL.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

• Like 1

Anyone dealt with replacing the vanos bolts? I didn't know they were an issue until recently. Wish I had known while I had the rocker cover off. Though it's not a major to remove it again. 

Also working on this shitbox is a Rollercoaster. 

Found the fuel vent sensor was not connected.. Though reconnecting it still gives the same code so it needs replacing. 

Replaced my exhaust vanos control valve which actually made my issue worse. But I didn't test the new Hella branded one and I think that's my problem. Or the vanos bolts. 

Changed to the Style 386. Not great looking. But better than stock. 

Neglected 130s are fun. 

Image_20240915_154921_369.jpegImage_20240915_154921_700.jpeg

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Edog said:

Hi All

Looking to convert to European after a few years of being on the K20A train.

I’m set on a (lower k’s preferred) manual 130i. Though not a fan of the beige interior so far and have patiently, albeit regularly, looked at Trademe/FB for any new listings as the current ones look like they may need a bit of work - which is fine, though not yet ready to bite the bullet on any of them.

Just extending the search here in case anyone knows of a tidy manual 130i that could reluctantly be let go of, but comforted knowing that it will go to a great owner who will continue to keep it in good shape. Preferably based in AKL.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Ks are fairly irrelevant if looked after, there are 130s in the 400,000km range now doing track days that have never had more than sump and rocker off for gaskets, proper maintenance is what actually matters (and owners giving a feck)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

Image_20240915_154921_700.jpeg

I actually like those on the 130, apparently I have strange taste in wheels though. 

9 hours ago, Jacko said:

Ks are fairly irrelevant if looked after, there are 130s in the 400,000km range now doing track days that have never had more than sump and rocker off for gaskets, proper maintenance is what actually matters (and owners giving a feck)

Good point actually - makes sense. Cheers mate 

5 hours ago, Edog said:

Good point actually - makes sense. Cheers mate 

I would actually say you are better off buying one that is aesthetically pleasing to you.  Then doing all the basics early even if they may have been done before.

Gaskets
Water Pump + Hoses
Full fluids service
Brakes
Suspension including all bushes
Vanos control 
Cam Position sensors

Make that part of your budget.
You might get lucky as on a very rare occasion NZ owners keep receipts of the work done.

Most of that stuff above is actually pretty well priced.  Places like spareto.com have many options from BMW genuine to brands you thought made washing machines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

I would actually say you are better off buying one that is aesthetically pleasing to you.  Then doing all the basics early even if they may have been done before.

Gaskets
Water Pump + Hoses
Full fluids service
Brakes
Suspension including all bushes
Vanos control 
Cam Position sensors

Make that part of your budget.
You might get lucky as on a very rare occasion NZ owners keep receipts of the work done.

Most of that stuff above is actually pretty well priced.  Places like spareto.com have many options from BMW genuine to brands you thought made washing machines.

Awesome, this is also real helpful so I’ll do some looking around and take into consideration. 

Fingers crossed re: receipts and service history but will just have to wait and see. 

It’s funny, some of the aftermarket brands that pop up which actually have some quality… 

Cheers again!

22 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Leaving next week eh? Wonder if he'll take $2.5k 😂

130i.jpg

I tried to find this on FB but no luck - looks like its gone already. 

On 8/5/2024 at 9:45 PM, Danch said:

You're guessed it. How much does it cost for an oil pan gasket replacement? 300?

This is what it says on TM:

Recent work

Spark plugs an coils.

Oil filter housing seal

New radiator 

Vanos

New shocks all round

Back breaks

Water pump an thermostat done 40km ago along with the rocket cover.

New paint on doors an boot.

Will throw in new clutch kit(parts)

Cons

screen not working an sagging headliner.minor oil pan leak

Going to look at this on Saturday, intention to buy - hopefully somewhat healthy and can pick up for a good price. 

Carjam says they’ve had it for 5 years, but under the presumption of no service history I’m debating whether: I take the punt if it seems to check out ok and nothing too funny -fluids/noises etc… then scan it back in Auckland. 

Or get the peace of mind, try and get my mate who knows how to use the scanner down in another car.

Keen on the idea of taking the punt but probably not the smartest option…

• Like 1