Sign in to follow this  
sjbglobal

e46 Lower control arm grief - Ball joint separator?

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to change the right front lower control arm on my 2000 323i. The inner ball joint and the bushing bolts were easy but the outer ball joint is defying my various attempts to get it off. The nut is off but the spindle of the bolt appears to be seized inside the steering knuckle. I've tried using a 32mm wrench as a pry bar, soaking it in crc for a few days, and bashing the heck out of the bolt, steering knuckle, and arm with a hammer. I'm going to try a ball joint separator next, just wondering if anyone has used either of these before? 

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/toolpro-toolpro-tie-rod-end-and-ball-joint-separator/377217.html

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/parts-service/steering-suspension/suspension-components/repco-ball-joint-seperator-rst157/p/A1210644

If anyone on the lower North shore has one I could borrow for a day in exchange for beer money that would be fantastic as well.

If anyone has any other ideas or recommendations it would greatly appreciated, cheers! 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1596514180490.jpeg

The outer is the one you should have done first while everything is supported if your going to use the bash method. I have the tools here in Papakura 

4 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

The outer is the one you should have done first while everything is supported if your going to use the bash method. I have the tools here in Papakura 

Yeah I did wonder about that. I've re-secured the other two points and still can't get it to budge. Thanks for the offer, I'll see if I can find anything closer as I'll need to bum a ride or bike since I've mangled the threads on the bolt...

9 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Picklefork and a bfh

Would you recommend a pickle fork over the peg style ball joint tool? Something like this? https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/toolpro-toolpro-mini-ball-joint-separator/105533.html#q=pickle%2Bfork&lang=en_NZ&start=5

I find pickle forks are harder to use without a hoist etc. I use something similar to that repco one at home. You can always use a hammer to whack it also if its not breaking once you have wound it up the pressure, sometimes you can leave them for a couple of mins and they will crack themselves under pressure.

I've used the repco one before with no issue, and its a very common tool to use. Also have a pair of forks, but dont think i have ever managed to pop a joint with them, all it does it make a mess.

If you can afford it and/or intend on popping joints a lot, I picked this up recently to split a joint on the Mini that nothing else would crack and the biggest one in the kit worked perfect. It basically has every option. https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/toolpro-toolpro-ball-joint-separator-kit-5-piece/543412.html#q=ball%2Bjoint&lang=en_NZ&start=24

• Thanks 1

Not the ball joint, but I did my CABs on saturday and bought a pickle fork for it - didn't work, not with the limited room of being under jackstands anyway.

Used a gear puller thing that did great though.

Update for anyone else who might have the same issue... the repco tool worked a treat, got the arm off in 5 minutes. Getting the new cab to line up with the holes in the carrier was a nightmare but a whole different issue.

Moral of the story: just spend 50 bucks on the right tool and save yourself 2 days of bashing and swearing ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjbglobal said:

Update for anyone else who might have the same issue... the repco tool worked a treat, got the arm off in 5 minutes. Getting the new cab to line up with the holes in the carrier was a nightmare but a whole different issue.

Moral of the story: just spend 50 bucks on the right tool and save yourself 2 days of bashing and swearing ?

Now put it in the tools for hire thread...

?

On 8/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, sjbglobal said:

Story of my life.