Sign in to follow this  
Chadilss

N54 2010 335i LCI exhaust suppliers NZ

Hi All,

Im on the hunt for catless exhaust system, I have been looking at the VSRF street system but will need to order from AMER and wondering if anyone knows of any good alternatives local to NZ. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
C

Edited by Chadilss
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Are you just wanting catless downpipes or a full exhaust system? Most exhaust shops would be able to fab something up for you.
Catless downpipes and stock exhaust do flow quite well. 

• Like 1

Hi Jordan, 

Thanks. I'm after N54  Catback Exhaust. The full exhaust that merges onto the two OEM downpipe connections, preferably converting both into one larger pipe. I was keen to do the install myself so was keen to purchase the complete kit and just install at home but I'm battling to find anything decent. with or without the resonator...

Hey Chad, 

I remeber seeing a Borla catback exhaust for about 3k, can't remember where though. I'm not sure if anyone makes units in NZ for the n54. However a straight pipe from the down pipes was going to cost about 1k for a shop to fab it up for me (I was going to provide own muffler and high flow cat). Ended up just leaving it with cateless downpipes and stock exhaust. 

Just be careful as they can get really droney and raspy.  

• Like 2

Man... I AM getting old :( I didn't even know anyone built this stuff. I'm thinking that a decent fabricator could make something like this if you let him have the car for a couple of days. Realistically, if he has the car on the hoist to fab the pipes he may as well install the system while he is in there.  Looking at this one with just a single small resonator, you better hope your neighbours have double glazing :)

Cheers...

AMP 335i e92 RACE exhaust.png

Lol, I feel sorry for the neighbor's already. I found what i think is a decent fabricator in Takapuna, "Takapuna mufflers", will go get a quote in the week and if its decent make an appointment. Thanks for all the help. 

I'll be sure to post a sound clip once done 😬

• Like 1

@Sammo has had some experience with those guys from memory? I don't think it was a very positive one but maybe chat with him

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chadilss said:

Lol, I feel sorry for the neighbor's already. I found what i think is a decent fabricator in Takapuna, "Takapuna mufflers", will go get a quote in the week and if its decent make an appointment. Thanks for all the help. 

I'll be sure to post a sound clip once done 😬

I had my Supersprint Muffler installed there and a secondary decat done - no issue with the quality of work and end result, (very happy) but was impossible to pin them down on a quote and shock horror, the cost blew out with lots of calls mid-job about difficulties etc etc. Maybe I wasn't, but kind of felt like I got taken for a ride.

No Eftpos either.

I used them as they were 5 minutes from the office - YMMV

• Like 1

@Sammo thanks for the heads up. I've read some reviews and it seems like the same story over and over again "difficulties". Has anyone had any experience with redline performance in onehunga? Otherwise, i might just suck it up and order the exhaust from VRSF..

I've gone to Dean at Mister Muffler in Pakuranga for all my exhaust work over the years. Have always been really happy with his work. He did some minor modification to my old 135i's exhaust last year with no dramas so might be worth paying him a visit if you can

• Like 1

Chad, what is your aim/ goal with this exhaust alteration?

Modification information for the N54/55 exhaust system post cats appears limited and is sound owners are sourcing, as power gains are very limited.

The indication over many years of say N54 is the stock system flows well, with little gains if modded.

If you are looking for power with stock turbos, down pipes and modded mid section, expect to be let down.

With upgraded turbos and catless down pipes, modded mid section, you will also be let down.

Will be a constant drone on open road! Rolling nausea!!

• Like 1

@smiddy, my goal is really quite simple. A nice sounding grunt when i pull off without an excessive drone or rasp. From what i've read, you can get minimize the drone effect with a capped pipe leading off from your downpipe (1/4 wave resonator/J pipe) but unsure whether that would have any effect...and was one of the questions i was going to ask the fab. Thanks for the post though, has definitely made me give it a second thought.

Edited by Chadilss

I did the simple so called 'golf tee' mod to disable exhaust flap operation in left rear outlet.

Used a micro spray garden tap in vaccum line, keeps flap open at low to part throttle when it would otherwise be closed.

Certainly a deeper sound from both inside and outside car, sounded even better after MHD tune.

Can send you one if you wish to try, saves you having to buy a packet of them.

Have noticed also a few guys with aftermarket rear mufflers on the stock exhaust, large, flat oval type that look nice and still sit flush under body and stock looking tail pipes, not sure on sound though.

20210429_075707.jpg

On 4/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, smiddy said:

Used a micro spray garden tap in vaccum line, keeps flap open at low to part throttle when it would otherwise be closed.

The Bimmerlink app will let you switch the flap between open, closed, and auto

15 hours ago, Chrisf said:

The Bimmerlink app will let you switch the flap between open, closed, and auto

Thanks keen to try it but are your sure it will work with a 335i and the N54 motor? It doesn’t look like it’s supported

0BD5CC54-D592-4C81-B932-B7195049F93F.png

I would humbly suggest that the comma between "3 Series" and "M3" indicates that the exhaust flap app will work with both the post 2005 3 Series cars and the M3.

Cheers...

2 hours ago, jon dee said:

I would humbly suggest that the comma between "3 Series" and "M3" indicates that the exhaust flap app will work with both the post 2005 3 Series cars and the M3.

Cheers...

I’ll give it a go…let you know the outcome.

cheers…

@Chadilss I’ve just got the VRSF Street catback and catless Downpipes. I’ll let you know how they sound 😎

also you can just unplug the exhaust flap in the left side of the boot and that just keeps it kept open. Sounds better. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, Chadilss said:

Thanks keen to try it but are your sure it will work with a 335i and the N54 motor? It doesn’t look like it’s supported

0BD5CC54-D592-4C81-B932-B7195049F93F.png

My research and personal experience on the 135i E82 is that it does not work. The flap appears to not be CAN bus toggled but is directly controlled by the DME/ECU. I suspect it's the same on the E90. It's easy to have it open all the time...but then that comes with the drawback of having it open all the time...which for somebody considering a straight pipe probably isn't an issue :D 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:33 PM, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

@Chadilss I’ve just got the VRSF Street catback and catless Downpipes. I’ll let you know how they sound 😎

also you can just unplug the exhaust flap in the left side of the boot and that just keeps it kept open. Sounds better. 

Oh yes please, do share some recordings....once I'm done with this round of upgrades exhaust is next on the hitlist. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, HalfJobHarry said:

Oh yes please, do share some recordings....once I'm done with this round of upgrades exhaust is next on the hitlist. 

Will do. Hopefully should have some time over the next few weekends to get some work done on the old girl. 

The VRSF exhaust is massive 3.5” right through 😎

B4F4FAFD-2877-4773-90F7-8357325C17BA.jpeg

CC82297D-AFA3-4B2C-A288-C48262581252.jpeg

B4763103-DD83-4468-810C-BCFD0FB37DC6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, Chadilss said:

Works on my 2007 335i