Neal

F80 M3 Base audio system upgrade

I think a bloke has to have hobbies and do things that we enjoy. Had a health scare a couple of years back which changed my outlook to an extent. Make a point of doing enjoyable things. This hobby was has been a good one where I’ve been able to chunk down the work in smaller lots as I’ve gone through recovery. I enjoy the learning process that goes into doing this as I did with the e46 stereo system. Hopefully I haven’t become OCD on this one 😀

Cost wise it has been accumulating but probably only 10% of the purchase price of the car. I’ve got the stereo mentioned with a value of $6k for the equipment in my insurance policy, but time wise if the worst happens I’d probably enjoy building another one ( eyeing up the wife’s SUV as this project comes to a finish 🤣)

With this car I’m not at that point of constant worry that I see mates get into with custom cars that they have 1000s of hours of time and are of a high value and never let the vehicle out of their sight. I do daily it and lease carpark which has plenty of parking room and good neighbours, but can break out a sweat if parking in a busy supermarket carpark as many of us BMW drivers do 😀.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neal said:

probably only 10% of the purchase price of the car

I totally get it, back of the napkin says I'm at about 2100% of purchase price 🤣

We're very fortunate that we can mess with such things in the pursuit of enjoyment and satisfaction for sure. I think too many people are obsessed with the 'and then' mentality where you're always chasing that next then that's going to unlock some magical level of happiness ... waiting to retire to take that holiday and then we'll be happy ... slaving for that promotion and then i'll be satisfied ... etc.

Full disclosure: Not saying I'm any different and I probably say this to justify my own spending habits hah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as long as you enjoy doing it and your not living on bread and sausages who cares, its healthier than spending it on P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cement said:

I totally get it, back of the napkin says I'm at about 2100% of purchase price 🤣

We're very fortunate that we can mess with such things in the pursuit of enjoyment and satisfaction for sure. I think too many people are obsessed with the 'and then' mentality where you're always chasing that next then that's going to unlock some magical level of happiness ... waiting to retire to take that holiday and then we'll be happy ... slaving for that promotion and then i'll be satisfied ... etc.

Full disclosure: Not saying I'm any different and I probably say this to justify my own spending habits hah

I do consider myself fortunate, been a combo of good luck and hard work with long work hours. Wife included. I think you’re right in enjoying the present. Father’s life got cut short before he got to retire, but he still had an  excellent life and pursued interesting stuff. But he was certainly looking forward to retirement and was planning travel etc.

Almost joined him but got a second chance due to the skill of the medical profession and determination to recover. Life 2.0 I call it. Make a point of living in the present and doing stuff that I enjoy.

Also trying to justify spending habits 😀

• Like 3

On the commute today the car is definitely quieter, less low frequency transfer from what I’m assuming is rear tyre and exhaust noise. Great for audio system , but downside is less “M3” noise. Stereo off and window down required when fanging it ( on a closed road / race track of course )

F80s are too quiet unless in sports plus where exhaust flaps are opened.

Edited by Neal

On 12/27/2023 at 9:11 PM, Dogballs said:

Good to hear you have that working..

for your snapin, have a look at this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228584 it may give you some clues... 

OR If you VO code the HU it should sort the coding for the snapin, and then afterwards adjust HK coding...  (assuming the vehicle has the snapin adaptor factory /FA coded already)

there is a number of USB settings/combos available, so that's where VO coding it is the easy option - but FA must be correct first!

(when using bummer utility to modify the FA - after completing FA coding, it will then ask if you want to VO code affected modules. (yes / no option) - very handy feature. but of course will reset any custom codings on the said modules.)

good luck...

Ended up being too easy, Cradle / USB2 working now. Just took heaps of time to find. Come to think of it , I think id4 had the usb codes like this.

IMG_0117.jpeg

Finally got the Mybmw app working with my imported car. Fortunately the car came with the 4g version of the ATM module. BMW have registered all the SIM cards in a private APN network of some kind.

Looks like BMW have giving exported cars from country of Origin a life line for using the app. My car was brought in Uk.

What worked for me

In the app there is an option for pre delivery. I put in my vin number and the app was able to do a look up . But the app would post an error if I connected phone to car via usb to complete registration.

I then followed the instructions here https://faq.bmw.ee/s/article/My-BMW-App-Settings-Einstellung-Sprache-kA9kU?language=et#

So key was to change language from nz English to GB English.

I also changed my profile address from my nz home to the postcode I lived in London in 2005

I connected the phone again and the app was able to complete ownership of car and use the app. I changed my profile back to nz so no issues but the only downside is I can’t select my NZ BMW dealer in the app.

But remote phone services such as lock / unlock car, turn on ventilation and get fuel status all work as does locate car 😀.

IMG_0139.thumb.png.2641cdf546db1540a23d618aa904617d.png

• Like 2

I got mine going too. How does it work with connectivity? They are effectively paying for the SIM connection?

Have to remember to use it. Almost went back to the car to check I locked it the other day.

also, does that mean you can pre-heat/cool when the engine isn't on?

On the sim front BMW registers all the Telematics and ATM modules to the country where the model has been built for. So mine will be on a UK mobile provider and the cars module is effectively “roaming” with it being in NZ. No doubt there would be some costs for roaming but it might be built into BMWs plan with the local provider.

With the app there is some lag as a result of roaming, but locking car , turning on headlights ( handy for  night parking ) and turning on ventilation fan all seems to work.

The 4g connection is also used for updating service history from BMW . When I retrofitted Idrive 6 it had the doner vehicles service history. I had the local BMW dealer update the service history and initially only the new entry was visible. But within a few hours the doner history was removed and all the previous entries for my M3 appeared.

The only thing with the roaming is that the emergency SOS feature will go to the UK for triage should it get used. 

The nice thing with the changes to BMWapp is that no phone VPN is required for country of origin that I’ve seen in other posts.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:30 PM, Neal said:

Finally got the Mybmw app working with my imported car. Fortunately the car came with the 4g version of the ATM module. BMW have registered all the SIM cards in a private APN network of some kind.

Looks like BMW have giving exported cars from country of Origin a life line for using the app. My car was brought in Uk.

What worked for me

In the app there is an option for pre delivery. I put in my vin number and the app was able to do a look up . But the app would post an error if I connected phone to car via usb to complete registration.

I then followed the instructions here https://faq.bmw.ee/s/article/My-BMW-App-Settings-Einstellung-Sprache-kA9kU?language=et#

So key was to change language from nz English to GB English.

I also changed my profile address from my nz home to the postcode I lived in London in 2005

I connected the phone again and the app was able to complete ownership of car and use the app. I changed my profile back to nz so no issues but the only downside is I can’t select my NZ BMW dealer in the app.

But remote phone services such as lock / unlock car, turn on ventilation and get fuel status all work as does locate car 😀.

IMG_0139.thumb.png.2641cdf546db1540a23d618aa904617d.png

I’m super impressed with this - I managed to get my car brought over to NZ connected drive while BMW NZ we’re still doing it officially, I’ve found the app to be pretty buggy though, it still displays fuel remaining in gallons and the usb connection to the car works <50% of the time

I was looking at my profile and car settings. I couldn’t find any settling for metric verse imperial in the app.  In idrive I have litres specificed for fuel consumption.

I do find the app does have lag though which isn’t really an issue, but it’s been quite solid.

The headlights on is funny though, press the app icon , wait a minute and get a few seconds before they are off again.

Also the lock icon will lock car , but doesn’t put windows up. Guessing thats done for safety reasons.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, Neal said:

Also the lock icon will lock car , but doesn’t put windows up. Guessing thats done for safety reasons.

I notice it doesn't fold my mirrors from the app when locking.

I have mine working again too. ex UK also. 
after doing a NBTevo retrofit, and subsequent ATM retrofit- both coded to original vin. ( previously had a business nav with tcb).
took a bit of trickery with a eSIM swap from the tcb to the new atm, but it’s all fully functional. I could even had Rtti, weather, internet apps etc etc via the CD store. 
if anyone wants tips on the atm retrofit, just ask..

IMG_9123.jpeg

IMG_9125.png

• Like 1

Good work on sim swap ! 
435d gets good diesel mileage 😀

Edited by Neal

Yes, probably a bit of luck involved in the sim swap for a 1st DIY PCB chip replacement attempt. ! 
this vehicle came with a bunch of “unlimited” calendar time connected services, so worth the effort.. 
pics for reference if anyone wants to have a go!

it gets down to 5.0/100kms easily on a open road trip.. and with 630nm when you need it..😁

IMG_9027.jpeg

IMG_9033.jpeg

IMG_9032.jpeg

Must have a steady hand . Not a lot of room for heat near those neighbouring surface mounted components