Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Singapore imports

We took an X3 for a drive yesterday. It was a 2012 20i xDrive with very low kms on the clock. It ran and drove fine, oil looked clear etc and the body was straight. But I was immediately put off when he said that most of his cars (including this one) were singapore imports. 

Then I wondered why I thought that way. Are they actually worse than imports from other countries or is it a bit of an old wives tale?

The concern is that Singapore is a high-humidity environment which generally cars, and electronics in particular, don't like.

Having said that not all cars from Singapore will exhibit problems (I had a Singapore import for many years with no issues), however you should be prepared for a higher likelihood of issues with a Singapore import.

45 minutes ago, Karter16 said:

The concern is that Singapore is a high-humidity environment which generally cars, and electronics in particular, don't like.

Having said that not all cars from Singapore will exhibit problems (I had a Singapore import for many years with no issues), however you should be prepared for a higher likelihood of issues with a Singapore import.

The aversion for us for Singapore imports stems from looking at two cars recently for sale in Christchurch, both E92 comp spec coupes, the overall condition, interior and underbonnet in particular just didn't match the indicated mileage. The absence of service books, as well as the sellers indifference as to verification or confirmation from his agent  led to us walking away.

There has been quite a bit of media attention in Auckland too,  several cars Jaguar as we recall from Singapore again where the odometers were discovered to have had severe haircuts, both in the order of 90 to 100000kms trimmed off. From memory the court ordered the return of the cars.

Mercedes from the 90's were particularly prone to computer hardware issues, a colleague had a MB C36 AMG, the bits were around $4k plus labour.

Notwithstanding the OP's consideration of the 20i XDrive, it may well be a very good car, as long as the price is right. Personally we would invest in a PPI. And not from AA, either a BMW maindealer or a reputable independent workshop.

Edited by Bandit

Odometer wind backs are extremely common in BMWs from Singapore. I have personally witnessed this, some with over 100000km wound off. If you are serious about the car, make sure it has a "verified odometer" inspection. I would also ask your BMW dealership to look at the warranty repair history. All repairs done at any BMW dealership are recorded in their system and it has a mileage reading recorded. 

We had a ‘93 (?) E32 730i V8, Singapore import. Ran it for 10 years and 120,000kms, nothing went wrong apart from wear and tear items , brakes, usual oil etc and a steering rack at about 160kms. Even that was cheaper than I thought it would be.

However I know first hand a few horror stories too, maybe luck of the draw/an inspection as above.

Not to feed the stereo type, but 100% (one of one) of my Singapore imports had multiple electrical gremlins.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sammo said:

Not to feed the stereo type, but 100% (one of one) of my Singapore imports had multiple electrical gremlins.

As per my experience, again similar as 1 or 1 but electrical failures everywhere, but it was a Jag as well so maybe not just Singapore. But once bitten, never again

• Like 1

I think it will depend a lot on the car itself.  I lived in SG for a little while.  A taxi driver once said to me, "hey you know Singapore, its either hot, too hot, or about to rain".  That about sums it up.  Run about cars are often used as Grab taxis (think pretty much every mini-van and station wagon you've ever heard of, luxury and not so luxury and those weird Honda CR-V things and the odd-looking Toyota mini Rav4 hybrid thing too).  They are taxis.  You also get Grab premium which is often a nice Audi or a long Merc.  Usually though it is a Toyota Alphard.  The best car for getting around Singapore is a van with 4 la-z-boys in the back driven by someone else!  Ultimate Drivers Car is not really needed although a bloke at work had a Smurf blue m4.  For reference, an m4 comp is the better part of $450k SG ++ so you're probably gunna look after it.  You can get a membership to Sentosa golf club for that, I know which I'd go for and probably use more. Ha.  Anyhoo, I digress, but if you're buying a run about from SG, you can be pretty sure it has been run about.  A nicer, bigger, faster, more expensive motor, probably not so much.  You can get a special Sunday only drivers permit in SG.  That means most of the proper driver's cars go out on Sundays only.  Cars in SG are owned for (in practise) max 10 years and they are driven, a lot.  A small place it may be but there is lots of motorways and with limits on the numbers of cars on the roads, you can actually drive around - hence the popularity of Grab (SE Asia version of Uber).  Most expats, if they buy a car at all, get a car that has a few years to run on its certificate from the govt, then chuck it when they leave SG.  So basically, you buy the right to drive the car for the last few years (of its 10) that it is (practically) allowed on the roads.  After that it has to be (in reality) scrapped or exported around the world - did you know that SG is the second largest exporter of used cars after Japan.  There's a pub quiz answer right there.  An incentive for maintenance this is not as you can imagine.  So, if you are buying an SG car, IMHO try and get one that is more top end (because it cost shed loads to start with and hopefully someone used the warranty to get it serviced properly) and is more towards the younger age, ie. less than 8 years old at time of import.  Also, a more expensive car will have been kept in an underground carpark at a condo / apartment block.  They are as dry as it can get in Singapore and typically have areas set aside for car washing.  Logic being more expensive car = people can afford to live in a nicer condo that has underground parking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1