Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

N53 E60 with issues

I was looking at this as a project, being a UK import it seems to have some options that you don't see very often but has a number of standard NZ options missing.

Since it has a faulty DME I'm guessing a replacement will be specific to the N53 and the car spec.

How hard is it to fit a used dme?

I think it's a bit overpriced for what it is so what would a realistic value be?

Here is the link

2007 BMW 530i M Sport | Trade Me Motors

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

2 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

I was looking at this as a project, being a UK import it seems to have some options that you don't see very often but has a number of standard NZ options missing.

Since it has a faulty DME I'm guessing a replacement will be specific to the N53 and the car spec.

I think it's a bit overpriced for what it is so what would a realistic value be?

you might want to add a link?

N53 is trouble c.f. N52 or even the turbocharged ones, seems the injectors and NOX sensor are prone to issues and new ones are $$$$ if you can find them

Id tend to avoid the N53 just because it has most of the same issues as the N54 (induction system excepting), without the benefit of being turbo. Better off finding an N52 one.

17 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

Yeah without a link hard to say much, but Im wonder how they/you diagnosed the DME as the fault? Being such a new car (relatively) thats not a natural degradation of electronics but something like water damage or electrical issue elsewhere.

I suspect physically replacing the DME is really easy... but getting one tuned to remove the EWS (immobiliser) is an issue to overcome. Maybe the original can be repaired but hard to know with no details.

im based in wellington and can help program used DME to your vehicle easy

• Like 1

yes, first question is "are all of the drains cleared and running clear water on test?"
and
"are any of the carpets damp/wet?"
and
"is there any water in the bottom of the boot?"

e60's are brilliant, there's a tonne of computing power distributed around the car, in modules, that are dry and warm.... until there's a leak (which is *always* due to lack of maintenance).

Search out "so you've bought an e60" (it's a constantly updated PDF download from one of the American forums).

Then: buy my brilliantly maintained 545i.

Edited by Olaf
linky-linky

Looks like newspaper in the rear footwells to soak up water. $5k for a 6cyl petrol e60 that doesn't run?!  Great opportunity for a bridge salesman.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Looks like newspaper in the rear footwells to soak up water. $5k for a 6cyl petrol e60 that doesn't run?!  Great opportunity for a bridge salesman.

Doesnt have a sunroof through, so if its leaking its probably just the door vapour barriers... which is something i guess.

I do agree its overpriced for a non-running UK import oddity, even with the manual box. Would be a great car once running, and in a good spec/colour though.

Being a UK import, is it 122k KM or Miles?

good point about the sunroof @KwS, though the scuttle and firewall area is a great place for water to enter on e60-63.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, Olaf said:

yes, first question is "are all of the drains cleared and running clear water on test?"
and
and

e60's are brilliant, there's a tonne of computing power distributed around the car, in modules, that are dry and warm.... until there's a leak (which is *always* due to lack of maintenance).

Search out "so you've bought an e60" (it's a constantly updated PDF download from one of the American forums).

What? Yours isn't sold yet?

• Like 1

No, I've not pushed it (haven't re-listed it since last year).  A mate nearly bought it but didn't have the cash.  It's sitting in rented garage while I have zero spare time for it.  I drove it in early Jan and Jon fully scanned it.  It has one code to get sorted that I'm halfway through researching cost/effort to resolve, or just drop the price so it makes sense to buy.  The V8 version of VANOS - needs a new actuator motor. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:59 AM, KwS said:

Doesnt have a sunroof through, so if its leaking its probably just the door vapour barriers... which is something i guess.

I do agree its overpriced for a non-running UK import oddity, even with the manual box. Would be a great car once running, and in a good spec/colour though.

Being a UK import, is it 122k KM or Miles?

Yes the colour is what drew me to it, but the spec is a bit hohum, it has some options that would be a bonus but is missing a lot of the options that were standard on NZ new E60's.

The 5k price is a bit excessive and the current owner thinks the manual is a high ticket item.

Being a N53 the motor isn't worth much as they weren't available here in NZ and there are a few differences between the electrics of the N53 and N52

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

On 2/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, Olaf said:

and
and

If I wanted another V8 I would buy it, but since I already have a E39 V8 with manual I'm not really looking for another V8.

I've thought about a E60 with N54 and 8hp, when I had a E39 530i I thought the balance of the 6 compared to the V8 made it feel more agile, but I sure liked the extra hp of the V8 which is why I sold the 6 and kept the V8

An alternative to the N54 in a E60 would be to fit an ESS supercharger kit, it would possibly work out cheaper to buy a donor E60 N54 from the US and transfer the running gear and electrics than buy the ESS supercharger kit, plus the N54 is quite tuneable.

On 2/23/2023 at 2:11 PM, promo said:

im based in wellington and can help program used DME to your vehicle easy

Hello Promod,

my name is deepak, have few question with my bmw 335i. its a japan import 2018 model. 

my navigation takes to UK maps and i can not add my car to MYBMW mobile app. and also wanted to understand is there a possibility of installing reverse cam.

Any help and suggestion would be appreciated. i am based in wellington. 

9 hours ago, D355i said:

Hello Promod,

my name is deepak, have few question with my bmw 335i. its a japan import 2018 model. 

my navigation takes to UK maps and i can not add my car to MYBMW mobile app. and also wanted to understand is there a possibility of installing reverse cam.

Any help and suggestion would be appreciated. i am based in wellington. 

morning, 

i can convert nav and radio if not already done. I only do software things not hardware etc installing camera's

3 hours ago, D355i said:

good morning @promo

thanks promod. how can i contact you?

+64 210 894 1411

On 2/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, Kiwi_BMW said:

If I wanted another V8 I would buy it, but since I already have a E39 V8 with manual I'm not really looking for another V8.

I've thought about a E60 with N54 and 8hp, when I had a E39 530i I thought the balance of the 6 compared to the V8 made it feel more agile, but I sure liked the extra hp of the V8 which is why I sold the 6 and kept the V8

An alternative to the N54 in a E60 would be to fit an ESS supercharger kit, it would possibly work out cheaper to buy a donor E60 N54 from the US and transfer the running gear and electrics than buy the ESS supercharger kit, plus the N54 is quite tuneable.

eventually folks will twig that those clever german engineers put their smartest hats on and when they'd finished the e60 it had a more powerful lighter motor, it was much more lighter and stiffer, and was the best car they could make, better than the one before it.  in the same way the e34 was better than the e28, the e39 better than the e34.  You want the 50:50 balance of the e60 V8 - then you get all the power, all the balance, all the grip, the better brakes, better fuel economy, all the extra safety.  You know it makes sense!

Except the part where the each generation basically became more un-reliable\more complex\more expensive to fix. In saying that if it they weren't you wouldn't be able to pick them for cheap.    

• Haha 1