Willem

Im looking to upgrade my E61 to an F11 and might need some help to do it wisely

Different experiences.  There's certainly plenty of ratty, smoky, Japanese imports.  I just don't buy them.

Off the top of my head I have had at least 4 Japanese imports that are many years old with various mileages but appear to have just rolled off the factory floor.  Usually within weeks of them being here in NZ they scratched in multiple places.

• Like 2

With the 90's era stuff at least the asian imports were generally in better cosmetic condition mainly paint and bodywork, cloth interiors are always a mixed bag and why i dont like them. NZ new engines and ancillaries and always felt stronger\less worn to me. Also depends when it was imported too, some big ranges from 3-4 years after build date to near or over a decade.     

Completely agree @Eagle - gotta look holistically and not make generalisations. Plenty of uk imports in NZ that came here under 3 years old and are similar or better than NZ new. Some of the Japanese ones do have service history esp now that the newer BMW’s have online service records. I would still tend to be wary of Singapore cars (even though they are normally well specced) and the Aussie stat write offs are possibly ok if you are going to drive them into the ground but selling them on will be difficult / impossible.

• Like 2

Agree with generalizing, but like everything else in life, when the stereotype fits the narrative 95% of the time you can only really laugh and if you get offended you are likley the stereotype trying to justify your decisions. 

I’m happy to judge and throw generalization around, I happen to own a Ozzie stat right off and a Japanese import too, both are sh*t boxes but I love them, I have seen springs break on UK cars that are only a few years old thanks to road salt, I have had to grind parts off cars because they were rusted on. 

NZ are the bottom feeders when it comes to used unwanted imports, we let nearly anything in that the rest of the world wont, or simply don't want, the importers make money off them. No one who can actually afford a better NZ new car chooses the import because they prefer cloth seats and Japanese labeled instruments, they choose them because they are cheaper and readily available. 

Repainting a front bumper and replacing the front control arms is no big deal to me vs replacing a transmission or wondering why my car has tyres that a 10 years old... hint, tyres don't wear out when your car sits in start stop traffic for 10 years.  They should really put an hours timer on them like a digger. 

8 hours ago, Apex said:

They should really put an hours timer on them like a digger.

Should be a WOF fail over a certain age. Crazy how you run a 20 years old spare wheel\tyre but fail on 100 other bs things.

8 hours ago, Apex said:

Agree with generalizing, but like everything else in life, when the stereotype fits the narrative 95% of the time you can only really laugh and if you get offended you are likley the stereotype trying to justify your decisions.

My compact was imported 2008 from Japan, 63,000km and who knows how many hours being a ecobox. A simple old style BMW design goes along way imo just like an imported corolla etc. Even came fitted with 2008 Japanese Bridgestones, great if having traction isnt your thing.

I like it how my "simple" Question has evolved into a general discussion about the "real" value of (Japanese) import cars compared with NZ "new" cars.

You can almost draw a checklist from it : How to prevent buying an import Japanese Dud.

Or more optimistic: How to make a success of buying a Japanese import.

I'm still looking, have not found a good car to buy yet. Since I started 14 days ago, the quantity of cars on my reference list has only shrunk. On Trade Me there were 17 BMW's that were specified as 5 series F11 Touring, there is only 10 left. Possibly the worst of those 17. Never a good sign if a car is not sold for longer periods. Especially not when the price is not obviously too high for what is offered on paper (compared to when you've had a look (and a sniff ;)) at the real thing. May be when a new "boat " comes in there will be a few more on offer. If I'm correct people in New Zealand often buy a "new" car for the summer to take on a Holiday, traders most likely would anticipate that.

Edited by Willem

Hi Qube

Thanks for the suggestion.

Before I bought the Touring I looked into the X5.

I drove a few and enjoyed them nevertheless decided against an SUV because:

(totally subjective and disputable: )

1 They do have a smaller luggage space.

2 They do not drive as well fast through curves due to their higher center of gravity (especially important to former motorcyclists who think that is really cool)

3 They use more petrol to move the same amount of people. (10-15 % more)

An clear advantage is that they offer more passive safety because they are as high as lots of the popular trucks (Highluxes , Rangers etc) on NZ roads, who are a safety hazard to other road users because of their height. And if you need to change the baby, their floors are a much better working height than from a station wagon, easy on your back)

Edited by Willem
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, GorGasm said:

Different experiences.  There's certainly plenty of ratty, smoky, Japanese imports.  I just don't buy them.

Off the top of my head I have had at least 4 Japanese imports that are many years old with various mileages but appear to have just rolled off the factory floor.  Usually within weeks of them being here in NZ they scratched in multiple places.

Concur. In our experience with M cars for example the overall condition is vastly superior to the average NZ new examples available for sale. And, full service histories in the glovebox too. albeit in Japanese. Same with the UK imports we have, vastly superior condition to the NZ new examples when we purchased them.

"Buy on condition and provenance" 

• Like 3