Insonderly

Is it worth buying a 130i if I don’t know much about cars/fixing myself?

Been getting into cars last few years and have wanted a MK7 GTI for awhile, but all of a sudden I want the urge to get a 130i.

I have never done maintenance on my own car (1.5 Subie), however have always been strict with services and cleaning.

I’m wondering if I will be biting off more than I can chew buying an old bmw? I’ve owned slow cars all my life but after test driving a fast one it’s got me. 

• Like 1

I only know how to do basic stuff like engine oil change so I actually have spent a good amount of money on getting my car fixed by others. I'd say just budget for extra 2-3k on top and try you buy something that some of the major work has been done recently. (Waterpump, gaskets, clutch, flywheel etc). Tbh, I did budget for extra 2k but so far I've spent 5k over the 12 months of ownership 🤣 

130i is pretty reliable, N52 engine is one of BMW's best, but get the newer one with the black beauty cover if you can. 

Great choice for a cheap performance bimmer, must be manual of course.

They don't really have any big ticket failure items , as ever important to pay a bit more and get a well looked after example.

2 hours ago, Danch said:

I only know how to do basic stuff like engine oil change so I actually have spent a good amount of money on getting my car fixed by others. I'd say just budget for extra 2-3k on top and try you buy something that some of the major work has been done recently. (Waterpump, gaskets, clutch, flywheel etc). Tbh, I did budget for extra 2k but so far I've spent 5k over the 12 months of ownership 🤣 

Yeah this is what I've learnt recently adding 2-3k ontop - Yeesh! 5k in 12 months. Woulda spent maybe close to that in 5 years of my Subaru

10 minutes ago, Insonderly said:

Yeah this is what I've learnt recently adding 2-3k ontop - Yeesh! 5k in 12 months. Woulda spent maybe close to that in 5 years of my Subaru

I could've saved some money if my 130i was not my daily and I could afford to slowly work on it. To be fair, a good chunk of money was for clutch+flywheel, which I won't have to worry about for a while. 

The 130i and it's N52 motor are very very well covered by Youtube help videos.
You would be far better off with a BMW than a VW or anything from VAG both due to ease of maintenance and cost of maintenance.

I picked up my 130i manual for $3K.  As you're beginner I would recommend one at least double that value.  I'm changing clutches etc.

Having a 130 and a Mk3 Octavia VRS (essentially the same as a Mk7 GTI), can categorically say the BMW is cheaper and easier to service. Parts are cheaper, less things break, and N52B30 is very very DIY documented. 130 is also much better built, and stock is significantly faster. The only real area that the VW product is substantially much better is if you were looking at an Auto 130, the VW DSG is WAY superior... if most of your driving is sitting in Auckland traffic a DSG golf is a good option to consider, otherwise 130. 

Dont worry about PreLCI or LCI (silver Vs  black top N52s), the black top rocker covers are plastic and crack (and have integrated CCV), the silver top rocker covers are magnesium and corrode (and have external CCV). Both sh*t emselves in different ways and both will have oil leaks. Power outputs are identical, black tops are cheaper to make and hit the newer emission standards easier. 

Buy on manual Vs auto, service history (beyond the BMW minimums) and condition, then options, then k's (in that order)

• Like 3

I previously owned E90 325i and after that, an E92 325i which both has the same engine (and both blacktop), they were surprisingly cheap to fix and maintain. Two of the most common problem with N52 is valve cover seals and oil filter housing seal. During my 3 years ownership of my E90 towards 150k, I replaced both for less than $1000 at an European workshop, and a worn rear tyre due to single pegger skids, as well as regular servicing. On my E92 that I owned for 2 years, I only had to replace the valve cover seals.

Great engine and sounds so sweet, I would be keeping my E90 forever if it wasn't f**ked head on by a reckless driver.

It's best to buy a manual one even though the K's might be higher but doesn't matter as long as its in good condition and well serviced, in fact 200k is just the break in period 😂

On 7/31/2024 at 11:35 AM, Jacko said:

Having a 130 and a Mk3 Octavia VRS (essentially the same as a Mk7 GTI), can categorically say the BMW is cheaper and easier to service. Parts are cheaper, less things break, and N52B30 is very very DIY documented. 130 is also much better built, and stock is significantly faster. The only real area that the VW product is substantially much better is if you were looking at an Auto 130, the VW DSG is WAY superior... if most of your driving is sitting in Auckland traffic a DSG golf is a good option to consider, otherwise 130. 

Dont worry about PreLCI or LCI (silver Vs  black top N52s), the black top rocker covers are plastic and crack (and have integrated CCV), the silver top rocker covers are magnesium and corrode (and have external CCV). Both sh*t emselves in different ways and both will have oil leaks. Power outputs are identical, black tops are cheaper to make and hit the newer emission standards easier. 

Buy on manual Vs auto, service history (beyond the BMW minimums) and condition, then options, then k's (in that order)

What about an n55 m135i vs golf gti? 

The only disaster part I know of on the 130i is the ABS pump.  Thousands to replace.

M135i is a great car, blow away a Golf GTI.

39 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

The only disaster part I know of on the 130i is the ABS pump.  Thousands to replace.

$100 from pick a part.
Gone are those days.  These cars are now just a toy and cheap commuter.

• Like 1