E30stz

Quick Questions

^ Yeah I think this might be the case, it is a genuine one that still lights up green on the indicator, but it has been flat a few times lately. Will try that and see what happens

Sometimes they take a bit of juice, and a bit of time to get them going if they are pretty flat. Leave the jumpers connected for 10mins or so with the jumping car running, then give it a whizz and cross youyr fingers. Also check that your jumper leads can supply enough amperage (most 100A cheapies will not start a 6cyl!).

Failing that, take battery back with receipt, get replacement ;)

^ My other train of thought is that the starter motor might be rooted, will check for power tomorrow and maybe try and borrow one, can they be swapped in place? looks like PITA to get to.

Can try isolating the battery (disconnecting) and then conecting the car via leads to another cars battery (turned off and also isolated) if you cant be bothered completely removing batteryies just to check

Sometimes they take a bit of juice, and a bit of time to get them going if they are pretty flat. Leave the jumpers connected for 10mins or so with the jumping car running, then give it a whizz and cross youyr fingers. Also check that your jumper leads can supply enough amperage (most 100A cheapies will not start a 6cyl!).

Failing that, take battery back with receipt, get replacement ;)

Hmm so thats why i couldnt get my bosses falcon started last night.. 4L monstrosity lol

In the exhaust manifold on the down pipe before the cats. More easily seen from underneath.

Whats the problem ?

bought new sensors have driven a long distance now so should be about time to replace it. \oh yeah glenn, there are 2 block plastic boxes on both sides under the car. opened it up looks like plugs for o2 sensors. but nothing is plugged in? is that for the post cat o2s on the m62? dont need to worry bout it?

Have you tried putting power straight to the starter?

^ Yip. Fixed it anyway, the solenoid switch wire (black/yellow) wasn't plugged in properly <_< been one of those mornings. Just bloody glad I don't have to replace it.

Edited by Brams

Do E30 coupes have central locking standard?

I only ask as I found a solenoid lock thing for the gas cap in my car, but AFAIK, my car doesnt have central locking, or it doesnt work :lol:

yes it's standard, probably the control box in the driver's side a pillar, behind and below the speaker, that's gone.

With the thermostat O ring, is it the o ring first then the thermostat then cap? m20 engine

Thermostat first then the "O" ring

For a POS E30.

Has anyone ever had their central locking work normally from all doors, but the boot won't work? Any solution to this? because at the moment I can't open the boot or anything :(

Have tried a different central locking control module under the drivers speaker and it has power there, but the boot seems to be dead, is the actuator toast?/can the boot be opened manually.

Any help is appreciated.

Nathan

Edit: It opens now, the actuator rod had come off, but still won't lock on its own with the central locking? Any suggestions? It isn't too major and there is usually nothing in the boot anyway.

Edited by Brams

yes it's standard, probably the control box in the driver's side a pillar, behind and below the speaker, that's gone.

Cheers -

I just pulled off the door trim to have a looksee, rods to both the solenoids have been disconnected (and so has the boot and gas flap)

Moving the drivers side solenoid triggers a sad sounding buzzing noise from somewhere around the A pillar, passengers side solenoid feels locked solid (cant move it by hand)

Is the passenger side solenoid supposed to be jammed like this? Im wondering if Ive got a flogged passenger solenoid and thats wrecked the central locking computer, previous owner obviously just diconnected it mechanically...

Moving the drivers side solebnoid without flicking the microswitch might have been a bad idea in hindsight :D

Double post, my bad.

Edited by Jacko

Just installed a pair of front fog lights, but they dont light up :(

Here's what i've done, can some1 please see what i have missed:

1. Plugged the plugs into the foglights

2. Installed 2 x 7.5 fuses for each Right+Left side foglight

3. Pressed my single button foglight switch

4. Rear foglights light up, and is indicated on my instrument cluster, but my front foglight indicator isnt

any help is greatly appreciated, for F/L e30.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to take my manual shifter out of my e36 to put a shorter z3 one in, but cant get the ball part of it to snap out of bushing, have rotated circular bushing with a screwdriver like shown in guides but the damn thing still wont come out. is there any special trick to this?

thanks,

Thanks Max, but it was T20 for mine

Nath and Michael, thanks for the fast reply lol. Will source one out 2moro.

^ also you will probably need to get a two button foglight switch.. the single rectangle one only has two poles. your car should be wired for front fogs, its just a matter of plugging in the right parts.

Im looking at an e30 325, there is quite a bit of clicking comming from the head, its done a few kms and im guessing its the valve train. Is this a big issue, can it be fixed just by adjusting the valves?

325i

290kms

Auto ( shifts very well)

Looks mint otherwise (crack in dash, tacho doesnt work all the time)

asking 2.5k

Worth it?

Looking for some advise or opinions, I dont mind spending some money on this car but I dont it to explode and I know MR2's but not BMWs.

Injectors click, tappets tap, worn camshaft have a deeper tap that sounds like a small knock. An experienced ear can tell the difference. Where abouts are you and the car ?

Injectors click, tappets tap, worn camshaft have a deeper tap that sounds like a small knock. An experienced ear can tell the difference. Where abouts are you and the car ?

Hamilton.

Its defiantly not a knock, its much more of a tappet click. Just making sure that there isnt some serious problem with these cars.

Anything else I should look out for thats specific to these cars?

This car will work out a lot cheaper than my other replace the engine and tranny in an e39 option, even after I give it a badly needed wheel and suspension upgrade.