E30stz

Quick Questions

Hey a quick question. I got a manual e28 with a diff that has seen better days. I have a spare diff but it was from an auto e28 which I was thinking to just swap in. Will the ratios stuff anything for the manual gearbox? Cheer :)

Not at all, it will just be a little slower when accelerating.

When replacing front brake rotors (with barely used second hand ones), do you need to sand the pad or the rotor or both or none? And what grit paper?

depends on how worn the brake pads are really. If they are sweet, just make sure the piston is pushed all the way back in the caliper and should be good. if not then might as well replace the pads while your in there

I don't think you got what I was asking. I was talking about prepping the surfaces not making clearance. Doesn't matter anyway I googled.

Picked me up a new power aerial for the E30. Bit confused, its probably simple though.

The original (aftermarket motogard) aerial has two wires, red and black. They were reversed at a connector though, red-black black-red. Aerial has never worked when ive owned it. Playing with a multimeter shows that red is earth (explains the reversed wiring...) and black seems to be dead whatever happens.

New aerial has 3 orange wires too a relay, then a red and green wire. Tried plugging red-black green-red, nudda.

Can someone point me too a generic wiring diagram for a 2 wire power antenna? I assume the red wire should go to the headunits power aerial output, and the green too ground? The relay is some sorta reversing thing? maybe current sensing and then reverses?

Edited by Jacko

two of the wires going into the relay are power and earth, and will be on the loop that the wires on the other side of the relay are in. the third is the signal from the head unit.

in other words, when there is signal from the headunit, this shuts the relay and makes a continuous curcuit between 12V at the battery, through the motor for the aerial and then to earth/0V on the battery.

like this, except the motor on the aerial replaces the light bulb, and the signal from the stereo replaces the switch

http://www.radioelectronicschool.net/files...loads/relay.gif

two of the wires going into the relay are power and earth, and will be on the loop that the wires on the other side of the relay are in. the third is the signal from the head unit.

in other words, when there is signal from the headunit, this shuts the relay and makes a continuous curcuit between 12V at the battery, through the motor for the aerial and then to earth/0V on the battery.

like this, except the motor on the aerial replaces the light bulb, and the signal from the stereo replaces the switch

http://www.radioelectronicschool.net/files...loads/relay.gif

Shouldve explained that a bit better.

Relay has two inputs Red and Green, and 3 soldered output wires to the aerial - Ground, Up and Down I guess.

So Ive only got two wires to plug in.

It must use the + output of the headunit too drive the aerial up and down, and the other wire must be ground? I guess the relay has some sorta latch and is only used to control stopping, starting and reversing the motor in a cycle.

Edited by Jacko

Shouldve explained that a bit better.

Relay has two inputs Red and Green, and 3 soldered output wires to the aerial - Ground, Up and Down I guess.

So Ive only got two wires to plug in.

It must use the + output of the headunit too drive the aerial up and down, and the other wire must be ground? I guess the relay has some sorta latch and is only used to control stopping, starting and reversing the motor in a cycle.

Both my power antennas have a power wire that goes to the battery / ignition whatever you want. Then the other wire goes to the head unit.

Both my power antennas have a power wire that goes to the battery / ignition whatever you want. Then the other wire goes to the head unit.

Just figured it out. The relay mounting bracket supplies the ground, its sneakly soldered to some of the relays terminals.

Red is +12V

Green goes to headunit.

+12V on the green wire switches the relay, antenna goes up.

OV on the green wire switches the relay back and antenna goes down

;)

can someone tell me what's wrong with my car in this picture :)

i need to call DCH to get it fixed. thanks :)

Posted Image

Guest Simon*

"The dog bone's connected to the ..... oh wait" :mellow:

Disclaimer: Dogbone is actually still connected ;) Swaybars, not so much - but didn't fit the lyric

Edited by Simon*

need new swaybar links, or modify the sway bar. (drill a hole in it and put in a split pin to stop it sliding off.)

dont worry its nothing dangerous. it happens.

need new swaybar links, or modify the sway bar. (drill a hole in it and put in a split pin to stop it sliding off.)

dont worry its nothing dangerous. it happens.

*Glenn* did a how to for this. Posted somewhere on here.

can a e36 sedan rear bumper fit a e36 coupe? just double confirming

Do NZ m50 engines use the same ecu as US m50 engines

New DME's come blank and need to be coded to the specific vehicle. If going second hand it must be non EWS and be exactly the same part number and have the same MS coding

So for m52 engines, is nz's siemens ms41.0 the same DME(in its raw form) as the US siemens ms41.1 but with different coding?

So for m52 engines, is nz's siemens ms41.0 the same DME(in its raw form) as the US siemens ms41.1 but with different coding?

Yes but you can't swap DME's as all M52's are EWS.... give me a call (09)2722546

m20b25

Oil leaking out under exaust manifold (looks like from between head and block) = Blown head gasket?

No water in oil,

No white smoke/steam

Water is a tiny bit milky

No overheating issues or running problems,

Does anyone have a link to a diy gasket replacement thread? , it looks pretty straight foward though

Edited by Matty104