E30stz

Quick Questions

tried taking off my e30's rear spoiler today, but had trouble taking the 2 bolts on the right and left side. The 10mm socket cant get the proper access to it, and i cant seem to get a good grip on it with a spanner. any ideas, tips, tricks?

tried taking off my e30's rear spoiler today, but had trouble taking the 2 bolts on the right and left side. The 10mm socket cant get the proper access to it, and i cant seem to get a good grip on it with a spanner. any ideas, tips, tricks?

bump

Anyone know a good washer bottle replacement, I want to move mine behind the strut tower to where the battery tray is.

Seen the iX bottle there for example, but they're not so available in NZ.

Make/Model or other ideas?

Someone on E30tech should be selling one cheap?

What sort of voltage should my alternator be producing @ idle with the headlights on?

Have been monitoring lately, as my amp switched itself off one day when the heater was on full power, headlights on and idling.

have noticed when the car is cold, lights off 13.8v (good) lights on 13.7v

as soon as the car is warm/hot.. with the lights on 12.5v.

Edited by antil33t

Are E30 and E36 compact rear subframes the same? Particularly the rear subframe mount bushings? Anyone know?

99% sure subframe are the same, as 318ti rear trailing arms bolt onto e30 rear subframes.

Are E30 and E36 compact rear subframes the same? Particularly the rear subframe mount bushings? Anyone know?

Subframes are the same, the subframe mounting bushes are different E30 bush: 33 311 129144

E36 Ti bush: 33 311 090946

what is involve in doing a e30 manual conversion, i have a spare car so i have everything i need to do it. I was wondering how long it would take and if a 316i (1989) ecu will plug straight into a 318i (1990) and work with out much fuss.

thanks, any help is welcome!

You don't need to swap ecus because the transmission/gearbox is 100% mechanical. You could do it in a day if you kinda know what you are doing

a day is pushing it buy yourself, i would allow a complete weekend for it to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances. essentially its just a case of removing auto trans, trans cooler, driveshaft, brake pedal, fit manual trans, driveshaft, clutch components. ( i have found its easier to remove the clutch and brake pedals from the pedal box rather than trying to swap the entire pedal box.)

Quick question since I don't have my E30 today.

Dual Exhaust on a 325i, are the pipe widths 1.75"?

Is it alrite to mix 15/40 with 20/50 motor oil grades? i have some 20/50 left and dont want to waste it.

a day is pushing it buy yourself, i would allow a complete weekend for it to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances. essentially its just a case of removing auto trans, trans cooler, driveshaft, brake pedal, fit manual trans, driveshaft, clutch components. ( i have found its easier to remove the clutch and brake pedals from the pedal box rather than trying to swap the entire pedal box.)

Yea pretty easy stuff, I did mine in a day drive in drive out. Started early finished late mind

Is it alrite to mix 15/40 with 20/50 motor oil grades? i have some 20/50 left and dont want to waste it.

If you are nearing an oil change should be fine

Depends on the type of oil really, castrol claims to be 100% mixable with any other oil of any other viscousity, but unsure about others...

Hi. The brake-pad warning lights up on my dashboard (1996 E39 520i). After replacing the pads, do I need to reset the warning lights, or would it automatically detect that the pads are new and stop lighting up on the dashboard?

Edited by khairul

If you didn't replace the wear sensor the light will stay on.

Edited by *Glenn*

If you didn't replace the wear sensor the light will stay on.

So the sensor needs replacing each time the warning light goes on then?

So the sensor needs replacing each time the warning light goes on then?

Funnily the error light is gone now. I haven't done anything, neither change the pads, nor change the sensor, nor reset the computer.

replacing my springs. Is champion TL262 thread lock high enough strength for the steering arm bolts etc?

Silly question but is it ok to have moisture in your intake manifold?

Thanks nate, funny enough I did actually spill my beer when it was sitting on the intake.

Glenn, I scraped about a tablespoon of milky oil/coolant crap off the top of the rocker cover and the hose from the rocker cover to the throttle body was full of that sh*t aswell, also a little bit of moisture in the intake and TB.

I did an oil change today and the oil that came out was black with no trace of anything else. But I'm still thinking it didn't help that the car semi overheated the other day from lack of coolant.

I'll just have to monitor it over the next few days. Might be new headgasket time.

Edited by flake

^ If it's just in the rocker cover it could just be a bad seal in the rocker cover gasket or the sh*t seal you have on the oil cap letting moisture in when its parked outside/sitting in the rain.

My car gets milky sh*t on the dipstick occasionally from moisture build up after washing it for example.

Don't get too worried yet, has it overheated again since Sunday?

Does the cam sprocket on a m40b16 have a timing mark that matches with a mark on the head?

Any help is welcome