E30stz

Quick Questions

Hi,

I have recently acquired an 01 E46 coupe, but I can't figure out why the air conditioning always comes on when i turned the key to position 2. Is this something to do with the profile in the key? Or is it something else altogether? How da heck do I turn it off?

Cheers,

Andrew

Is it a bad idea to unplug the climate control panel? Did it this arvo and on the way home seemed like the air con was on the whole way? Im assuming that would be normal?

Cheers

when I unplugged my climate control unit to get it sent away for repairs, it just put the heater on to max hot and full blast mode :(

Is it a bad idea to unplug the climate control panel? Did it this arvo and on the way home seemed like the air con was on the whole way? Im assuming that would be normal?

Cheers

Yes..unplugged it goes full tit

oh, didn't seem to be going very much, could barely hear it over the radio.

Hopefully all fixed now anyway :)

Cheers

Quick ( i HOPE) Question guys,

E30 1989 m20b25

Recently my cars temperature gauge has been reading higher and higher,

I had it scanned and all he could tell me was that its taking quite a while to heat up, and may need a new thermostat, .

But i had replaced the thermostat the week before ,

The gauge is sitting at about 3/4 now, but got quite high in the bk drive thru untill i switched the heater on full . I just checked the radiator hoses and the top one is hot and the bottom is luke warm,, i changed the viscious fan today and symptoms are still the same,

could the new thermostat be faulty?

could it be a faulty sensor somewhere?

is there any other possibilitys, such as blocked exaust , as my two mugglers are on there way out.

Matt

oh, didn't seem to be going very much, could barely hear it over the radio.

lucky :)

although, maybe your cabin air filter is really blocked up and your not getting much airflow?

Quick ( i HOPE) Question guys,

E30 1989 m20b25

Recently my cars temperature gauge has been reading higher and higher,

I had it scanned and all he could tell me was that its taking quite a while to heat up, and may need a new thermostat, .

But i had replaced the thermostat the week before ,

The gauge is sitting at about 3/4 now, but got quite high in the bk drive thru untill i switched the heater on full . I just checked the radiator hoses and the top one is hot and the bottom is luke warm,, i changed the viscious fan today and symptoms are still the same,

could the new thermostat be faulty?

could it be a faulty sensor somewhere?

is there any other possibilitys, such as blocked exaust , as my two mugglers are on there way out.

Matt

You either have a faulty thermostat, wrong thermostat or a flow issue like radiator blockage or the impellor may have come off the water pump. Are you sure you have bled the system properly ?

I ended up starting a thread for it glenn

link

I am hoping it has come down to a blocked radiator causing an airlock. if not it will come down to a headgasket whick i can not afforduntill i sell my other car. droped it off thismorning to get checked over, and will have my spare radiator checked and flow tested etc and pop that in and hope for the best.

the other thing it does which suggests an airlock is the temp guage likes to flicker all around .

p.s would the impeller just fall off? if so you would hear a grinding noise wouldnt you? when i first got it going after i changed the pump and campelt and thermostat i had a whining noise, but it has stopped now , i just assumed that would be the belt setteling in.

Matt

I have a quick question that someone can hopefully help with.

How long should I expect removing an m20b20 from an E30 to take? Assuming I have the right tools and someone to help when needed.

I would be taking the transmission off first, this requires a torx socket and flexi joint?

Are there any things to watch for? Tips that make it heaps easier?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

If its your first time, 2 hours, to save time you can pull the engine and gearbox out as one unit.

If you've done it before, about ~30min depending on how easy everything wants to come undone, driveshaft bolts are usually a killer of time, same with where the exhaust connects to the manifold.

If its your first time, 2 hours, to save time you can pull the engine and gearbox out as one unit.

If you've done it before, about ~30min depending on how easy everything wants to come undone, driveshaft bolts are usually a killer of time, same with where the exhaust connects to the manifold.

Have you done it in 30 minutes?

To remove the airbox, driveshaft, undo shifter setup, remove/disconnect wiring loom, undo gearbox mounts, undo engine mounts, set up engine hoist, remove bonnit ( on an e30 ), Im sure i've missed something.

Even more impossible I'd say if you were working off axel stands.

I'd go with 2 hours at least if you were taking your time, making sure you were doing it right, and only had two people working on it who haven't done it before.

Edited by Mark247

When I had a few mates round we pulled it pretty quick, think it was about 40min

I had everything already sorted tho, I had all the right sized tools and engine hoist ready to go, really all that needs to be done is

For behind the Engine

3 driveshaft Bolts

2 clutch slave Bolts

2 gearbox mount Bolts

1 gearstick Bolt

Infront of the gearbox

Unplug ecu and pull plug threw

Undo car loom to engine loom plub

Undo airbox on to the rubber elbow

Take radiator out (so easy on f/l cars)

Take bonnet off (6 bolts)

2 engine mount bolts

undo Heater pipes (2)

undo fuel line (2)

take off AFM plug

disonnect + terminal

Easy, only downside is now you have fuel and water everywhere :)

Edited by Jamez

When I had a few mates round we pulled it pretty quick, think it was about 40min

I had everything already sorted tho, I had all the right sized tools and engine hoist ready to go, really all that needs to be done is

For behind the Engine

3 driveshaft Bolts

2 clutch slave Bolts

2 gearbox mount Bolts

1 gearstick Bolt

Infront of the gearbox

Unplug ecu and pull plug threw

Undo car loom to engine loom plub

Undo airbox on to the rubber elbow

Take radiator out (so easy on f/l cars)

Take bonnet off (6 bolts)

2 engine mount bolts

undo Heater pipes (2)

undo fuel line (2)

take off AFM plug

disonnect + terminal

Easy, only downside is now you have fuel and water everywhere :)

Ha, and i missed half the stuff to do... to think i did this under a month ago. Jeeeeze. 40 minutes is fast, to allow little mishaps etc etc I'd still allow a few hours for a newbie.

Woah...thats quicker than I'd expected. And thanks for listing the main things I'd need to do...big help.

Reason I ask is because I was thinking of paying a pro to do it but if I could do it 2-3hours I think I'll just go for it.

Cheers guys

ive done it well under a hour by dropping it all out the bottom. but if you had the right tools and a mate on hand its quite fast and easy.

Just doing a manual conversion. What do I have to do with the wires to make it think it's in nuetral so I can start it? We've done it before but forgotten...

Just doing a manual conversion. What do I have to do with the wires to make it think it's in nuetral so I can start it? We've done it before but forgotten...

See pics. Black and purple wires are from the reverse light plug on the box.

post-2398-1252358551.jpg

post-2398-1252358560.jpg

post-2398-1252358566.jpg

Edited by tastic

Car; e30

engine; m10

trans; auto

Is there anyway to tell the difference of a blocked auto trans filter vs a non working forward clutch pack?

This is for a mates car. I dont think he has done any servicing on the auto trans

Are manual M10 318i front half driveshafts the same as m40 318i front half driveshafts?

Quick question, is a synthetic lubricant ok in a Getrag 240? (1989 320i)

I can't see any coloured tags on the gearbox

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Hey guys,

Got a replacement coil for my 320i, part number is not exactly the same, the last three digit number is 764, where I think the ones its got in at the moment are 768.

Would I be correct in assuming that this would not make any difference?

Cheers

Jeff

whats the spigot size of an e30 hub in mm?

as I don't want to take the wheel off :)

edit- or alternatively whats the bore size of an e30 wheel

Edited by Jamez