E30stz

Quick Questions

Mine definitely does... Our E36 316 had it in the boot though... maybe some early evolution on some e30s?

m42 exhaust manifold = m40 exhaust manifold????

m42 exhaust manifold = m40 exhaust manifold????

Ooops....no .... different M42 & M44 are the same.... I missread it

Edited by *Glenn*

^ Thanks Glenn

All good. Another quick one, will any small case diff front plate (where the diff mount is) fit any other small case diff? i.e front plate bolt holes are in the same place etc (for a E30)

Check again I just edited my post... I missread your question

Edited by Forrest

^ Thanks Glenn

All good. Another quick one, will any small case diff front plate (where the diff mount is) fit any other small case diff? i.e front plate bolt holes are in the same place etc

Check again I just edited my post... I missread your question

All E30 & E36 Ti's are the same bolt pattern

^ Thanks. Am saying this because if I do a m42 swap, with my current diff (small case 4.27) it will rev at 3500 at 100kph in 5th gear, which is quite high, if I were to get a 4.10 or a 3.91 (small case) I could swap the front plates over so I don't have to repress out and in again my urethane diff mount bush.

Thanks for your help Glenn

^ Thanks. Am saying this because if I do a m42 swap, with my current diff (small case 4.27) it will rev at 3500 at 100kph in 5th gear, which is quite high, if I were to get a 4.10 or a 3.91 (small case) I could swap the front plates over so I don't have to repress out and in again my urethane diff mount bush.

Thanks for your help Glenn

I'd fit a medium case LSD with E30 325Ms axles... I'd also go about 3.5:1 or 3.7:1... depending on what gearbox you end up using

Edited by *Glenn*

Why - Primarily better weight distribution (albeit little difference).

But also lets face it, batterys arent exactly asthetically pleasing.

My SA 325i has the factory battery in the boot and long-range fuel tank thing going on.

Spot on.

According to BMW NZ, only 325i’s are supposed to have the battery in back, all other models inclu 320i will have them in the front. The reason for this is better weight distribution on the 325i.

^^ Will be my current gearbox, the 4cyl g240.

Anyone who has advice on this feel free to PM me or post in my project thread, don't want to hijack the quick questions thread.

Thanks again Glenn

Edited by Forrest

Spot on.

According to BMW NZ, only 325i’s are supposed to have the battery in back, all other models inclu 320i will have them in the front. The reason for this is better weight distribution on the 325i.

323i has the rear battery too :D

So what's the diff between 323 & 325 anyway?

Edited by Antallica

Alot of the 6's have them in the front as well

Yup. My 1989 320i and 1991 320i (both ex japan) had it in the front. My 1990 325i's x2 (both ex SA) had them in the boot.

My understanding is weight distribution, but have you ever weighed 4m of heavyduty battery cable? Thats a fair bit of extra weight on the RHS - probably fine on LHD cars, but on RHD cars that just makes the left/right distribution worse unless you have a fatty co driver.

Antallica... I think the guys are only talking about E30's here. In general all E36's except the 318's have the battery in the boot.

Antallica... I think the guys are only talking about E30's here. In general all E36's except the 318's have the battery in the boot.

Whoops!... ok I'll crawl back in my cave then :)

Carry on

Oil Service light just came on in my E30.

That just reminding me I need an oil service?

Or is there something wrong, Not enough oil?

Edit: Noob as question.. Checked the oil and its 3/4 sooo..?

Edited by E30ONP

Just needs a service. If you had low oil or low oil pressure the oil can warning light would come on. You can do a search on google for what gets looked at/replaced in a BMW oil service.

Hi there!

Model: 330Ci

Year: 2000 (E46)

Chassis: JU70446

Problem: Since about a week ago my driver side door lock doesn't lift up anymore when I use the remote to unlock the car so I have to use the keys to get it to lift up. Passenger side is still fine and both sides still lock with the remote, just unlocking for driver side that doesn't work. I've checked the three fuses according to the fuse card and they are still good.

Where do I start??

Thank you!

Hi there!

Model: 330Ci

Year: 2000 (E46)

Chassis: JU70446

Problem: Since about a week ago my driver side door lock doesn't lift up anymore when I use the remote to unlock the car so I have to use the keys to get it to lift up. Passenger side is still fine and both sides still lock with the remote, just unlocking for driver side that doesn't work. I've checked the three fuses according to the fuse card and they are still good.

Where do I start??

Thank you!

Probably will need a new central lock motor in the drivers door

Probably will need a new central lock motor in the drivers door

Hi Glenn,

Estimate on cost for one of these motors and how long will it take someone that knows what they're doing to replace the faulty one?

Thank you

Car : 88' e30 325i with motronic 1.3

Context=I have the plug for an O² sensor but the O² sensor is not to be found.....

Question= What cars came out with O² sensors on the exhaust, as i know e30's from 84-91 did from This Article

is there any point putting one on?

Edited by Jamez

Some cars were fitted with them, some were not. The only way to properly tell if it had one is to plug it into a machine and have it tell you. However, if a car is supposed to have one and you don't plug it in, it will run like total crap, your car is running fine so didn't come with one.

Same with mine, the plug for the o2 sensor has a blank over t.