Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Windows Vista - Anyone got it?

Initially i wanted to go back, but now I reckon it is superior.

It is solid, and now most of the driver issues have been fixed I have had no problems.

SP1 doesnt have much in the way of new features does it?

Pm me if you want a free version of vista ultimate lol, pay for the dvd and postage and its urs... i have a "dell" oem version, (illegal Shhhh) works fine, its on my pc, our laptop, my old mans pc, brother in laws and the dude that got it for me got it on 3 pc's, all updates work :)

it would be a cheap and easy way of trying it out, if u like it keep it, if not, at least u didnt waste 300 on nothing :)

ok, so ive had a few people asking how much etc, and i said under $5.... it will be $2 ea LOL

i need to know how many people want them :P

($1 = dvd, $1 = postage) :D

not bad for windows if i do say so myself ;)

Still running XP here. Also have the Dell Ultimate Vista version sitting here. Just no need to upgrade yet.

None of my mates are running it. Most of us play games though.

vista sucks on a low-end machine..solid and stable but soo slloooowww

vista sucks on a low-end machine..solid and stable but soo slloooowww

get a better machine then? :P dont tell me u use a amd :mellow:

I've seen vista on quite a few customers machines and it is slow and crappy unless you throw a lot of hardware at it, ie a Core 2 Duo over 2ghz, 2gb ram and at least a 7600GS graphics card.

If you want it to be really snappy, 4gb of ram and a 10k or 15k SAS hard drive really helps, but rather expensive for the average person

4GB isn't that expensive and hello, RAID0, the bang for your buck is considerably better and you can have some massive drive sizes

yeah I have 2gb. Think it cost me $130 for some pretty good stuff. Will get some more soon. Not running RAID yet. Will get another SATA Hdd and try it soon. My XP install is on a IDE. Not worth running Vista on a IDE.

QX6700 Quad core 2.66

4 gig ram

1115gb hdd

2x 7950gx2

asus striker mobo

at the time i got it, it was awesome, now its ''above average'' (just lol...)

vista is no problem on my pc, and vista ultimate has media center, so my tv card works awesome too, no drivers needed.

only 1 thing i dont like about vista, on xp i can run quad sli graphics, on vista i cant, no drivers. so its pointless having the 2nd gpu, so i got 2 small 15" dell lcd's for msn and media player... "just cos i can" :P

Haha still a nice setup. Will build a machine next year when I go back to work. Bum student at the moment.

All my student allowence goes into building my E30 and the soon to be M30 2.7.

Keep paying your taxes so I can fund my cars. lol

Wowza Foohey 2x 7959gx2... quad sli right?? Surely that sh*t still pwns

Wowza Foohey 2x 7959gx2... quad sli right?? Surely that sh*t still pwns

quad sli only works on Xp, no drivers for vista, although the 7950GX2 was made for vista... go figure :huh:

atm i have the 2nd gpu running 2 small 15" dell monitors, and my main card on my 22"

did play a few games and stuff, but all the guys i did it with a lil bitches when they loose so i dont bother now lol

ill try clean my desk and take a photo for ya, and maybe a ''in pc'' photo too :P

vista ultimate on my setup works a treat amd athlon x2 6100+, SLi geforce8800gts, 3 gb ram on asus crosshair mobo, i haven't had any fps issues with any games and found vista a world better than xp, especially the networking setups. I think its good.

Like Andy, bought OEM Home Premium as after investigating the versions I don't need 75% of what's actually in Vista and like Andy, clean installing was VERY simple, kind of felt like it was a no brainer, especially after years of clean installing 98, 2000, and XP...didn't even have to load my raid driver, yay

Notes:

Took twice as long to boot and shut down compared to XP, but after analysing ALL the services and disabling half of them my boot and shutdown times are now not that much slower than XP. I have to admit that there are A LOT of unessential services and I have already made a friend happy with his Vista business by tweaking his laptop by disabling his unnecessary services too.

Tested Kaspersky and it picked up adware that Defender didn't... So disabled security centre, defender, and firewall and using my Kaspersky security instead, was always going to do this but feel better about it now.

I had only one major problem, Steam kept crashing in-game!!! After cursing and swearing then very carefully baselining everything I traced it to my overclocked ram being the problem!!? The exact same settings worked fine in XP but after I reduced the tRas and tRct slightly it fixed the crashing and it's all sweet now although I can't see why this worked in XP but not Vista???

Only beef now is the extremely SLOW network transfer speeds. We're running a gigabit network and I was getting over 400Mbps sustained before, now getting, wait for it...50Mbps...WTF? This issue is resolved in SP1 so just have to wait a few weeks for SP1 release. Actual cause is Vista networks better with other Vista copies than what XP/2000 to XP/2000 did, but they've bollocks up the Vista to XP/2000 copying, you can read about it here

All up...it feels just like XP but with a new front end - the Aero is cool but nothing Mac's can't do, games all working ok, programs all working ok, and with SP1 out in March I think it'll all be okay.

So for all the nay sayers, I disagree, sure if you don't know how to tweak Vista then it is quite tedious, but for power users it's all good.

Just will have to upgrade the X2 to the next batch of Phenom quads and i'll have maxed it all out

My scores:

post-257-1203915180_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pink

....sure if you don't know how to tweak Vista then it is quite tedious, but for power users it's all good.

This says it all for me.

How many people really want to buy an OS and then strip half of it out so that its performance is on par with what they had originally ?

All up...it feels just like XP but with a new front end

Which is why I just skinned my copy of XP. Majority of the vista look-good features, none of the hassle.

This says it all for me.

How many people really want to buy an OS and then strip half of it out so that its performance is on par with what they had originally ?

Ah, but note that my XP was ALSO tweaked aswell, the standard install of XP pro has a ot of unessential services also automatic by default. It's not a good comparison, but the fact is, by default ALL window OS installs require tweaking to individual needs, XP certainly ran better for me after I disabled most of it's services!!!

I don't want to defend either system, I like XP, it's the best OS MS has ever put out, but it too had plenty of bugs prior to SP1 and it is SP2 that everone is using and liking.

The thing is, being a gamer with a high end system, I want dx10 and I don't want a hax0red XP version.

E: And the other thing, MS is dropping XP support, no more automatic updates...not that I ever kept mine up to date.

Edited by Mr. Pink

Hate to drag up an old thread, but have just had Vista put on my laptop by a mate. Now it is stupidly slow and the drivers I had on the CD that it came with don't work hence no sound and no mouse etc etc.

How do I fix this and what are some of the tweaks that you are talking about Carl.

Chur

search the laptop model and look for drivers there should be some for vista, there are small things you can do easily to speed it up (eg take transparancy off etc)

Does your laptop have enough RAM and processing speed to run Vista?