Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Daily Driver

I'm after a new car for daily duties. I want something with reasonable grunt, 4 doors, tidy and comfortable, cheap-ish to run etc. Not so bothered on auto or manual, but would prefer a manual though. km's or age aren't really an issue for me, more concerned with general condition. Some of the cars below should give an idea of how much I'm wanting to spend.

I have a few cars in mind, E39 528i, IMO lots of car for the money. Maybe an E46 328i if one came along at a good price. only E36 i'd go for would have to be a manual M-sport 328i at a good price. Non-BMW options are Toyota Altezza or P11 Primera as a cheaper option. Any opinions on those models or other good options welcome. And if anyone knows of any good example of these cars for sale around Wellington let me know. Gonna start scouring trademe but feel free to post up something decent, (read: find me a bargain) I'm in no real hurry so can wait for something to come along.

Mike

Edited by Mike

I can thoroughly recommend a 528i Mike. Doesnt have the grunt of a 540i but as a daily driver if you get one with all the toys you really cant do much better in my opinion.

Good luck with the search, There was a half decent 530 at Turners a while back thats probably gone now but they have had a few cheap 5ers recently.

What sort of price range are you looking at? There is HEAPS of stuff out there at the moment.

E46 328i would be a good buy if you could find a nice one for under $10k. Can I ask why you have added an Altezza to your list? They aren't fast, are overrated and generally not very nice vehicles.

Less than 10K would be good. Would spring a little more if something mint came up.

something like this would suit me fine:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=18530

I reckon the the Altezza's look alright, and the few I've been in have been nice enough. Toyota, so should hold its value better than a BMW. Again, just another option. I'm all ears for better cars than what I've listed.

Our E46 328 is very nice as a daily. But expensive. Options like auto seats/climate control/rear mirror dim just make everything that much nicer. Good sound system with 16 speakers, blah blah. Terrible boot, neither big nor well shaped. Very safe with 10 air bags and weighing in at 1000000000000kg. :(

Altezza's handle better, nice to drive if you can get over the finicky gauges. RS200 is kinda torqueless, have to ring it out, but made up for with a nice 6 speed. Feels like a (marginally) lighter E46. Great after market support, huge range of wheels. Clutch/flywheels are HIDEOUSLY expensive. LSD standard :D

P11 primeras are horrible to drive, they're tediously boring and make driving a chore. They don't do anything particularly well. If you HAVE to get one, get a wagon, they've good space and ride a bit better.

Haven't driven the others enough to comment.

I had an RS200 Altezza 6spd. Was a great little runaround. And extreamly good on gas! But you want an unmolsted one. I would pick one over any E36. I do like the interior of the Altezza too. Sporty but not too hard.

Also had a P11 Primera many years ago. Was an Autech molested one though. So had a bit more pep. One of the best handling cars I have ever driven. Getting pretty old now though. I owned mine nearly 10 years ago. And it was 4 years old back then.

They are the two cheaper cars to run and buy.

The E46 328 is a great everyday car. Does everything you want easily.

They are expensive to repair and anything under $10000 is likely to be rooted.

The manual E36 328 is fun, cheaper to by and repair and perhaps more reliable. Quite economical and easier to find than a manual E46. Also a bit quicker, being lighter. I could happily daily mine.

The manual E36 328 is fun, cheaper to by and repair and perhaps more reliable. Quite economical and easier to find than a manual E46. Also a bit quicker, being lighter. I could happily daily mine.

+1 Totally agree there Tony

Altezza's handle better, nice to drive if you can get over the finicky gauges. RS200 is kinda torqueless, have to ring it out, but made up for with a nice 6 speed. Feels like a (marginally) lighter E46. Great after market support, huge range of wheels. Clutch/flywheels are HIDEOUSLY expensive. LSD standard :D

Had an Altezza (Lexus IS200-TTE) back in the day (when they were well over 40k) and it was the best handling car I have ever driven short of a E46 M3 but only because the M3 had much better steering feedback, the Altezza would have out done it in the tight stuff.

Lovely cars, only reason I sold is because they got so dam common!

And all of them sound like sh*t - ever followed a 'tezz being weilded in anger? Exhaust tone is the gay, both with factory exhaust and fart can.

Mine sounded quite nice, had stainless headers, stainless exhaust, Remus Back box and a Supercharger though.. :D

Thats what I'm worried about with an e46, dont want anything rough or thats going to cause me grief. So many more 528's out there at a price I want to spend. Looking around Altezza's are actually up there in price, cant really see myself paying $14k for one. Doesn't have to to be super fast or handle amazingly, just so long as its not slow and tedious to drive

Any opinions on a mechanical warranties? Worth getting for a 10 year old bimmer? Whats the really bad stuff that goes wrong?

Edited by Mike

You can get an Altezza for sub $10k at Turners and I know someone who just bought one from a dealer for about $10.5k. The dual mass flywheel is expensive to replace which is why you see so many available 2nd hand with TRD light weight ones. They drive nicely, but I found it not overly exciting until you revved it hard, maybe that is the description of a daily?? What about a Torneo SIRt or Euro R?

What about an Audi A4 1.8t? There are some nice examples around for $7-9k.

MK 3 Golf GTI? You'd pick one of those up for $5 or 6k

And if you're buying an older Bimmer I'd definitely recommend buying a warranty. I'm so glad I had one on my E36. I added up how much I'd have had to spend on my car if it didn't have one... came to over $3000!!

If your not getting a Bmw then -

Vr6 Vw Golf.

They go well, Handle mint and are priced well for what you get

My Gf has just brought one, Remus exhaust etc

Can get a good one for 7-8k

Take one for a test drive, you will be surprised!

Pic of one off Trade me

post-2185-1225916926_thumb.jpg

Vr6 Vw Golf.

Pic of one off Trade me

The Mk4 GTI (or any 1.8-T VAG) can be troublesome, prefer the MK3 VR6 also, and they sound so so good with a big bore!

Thats what I'm worried about with an e46, dont want anything rough or thats going to cause me grief. So many more 528's out there at a price I want to spend. Looking around Altezza's are actually up there in price, cant really see myself paying $14k for one. Doesn't have to to be super fast or handle amazingly, just so long as its not slow and tedious to drive

Any opinions on a mechanical warranties? Worth getting for a 10 year old bimmer? Whats the really bad stuff that goes wrong?

Things that went wrong with our E46(man) between 50k-160k

Front lower control arm replaced at 60k.

Cooling system exploded at 110k (twice)

Vanos problem at 130k

Oil pressure switch fault at 140k

The clutch was due for replacement when it was written off.

This was on a well maintained car. Most of it was replaced under BMWs premium selection warranty, so a mechanical warranty is a very good idea on an E46.

Guest Simon*

Vanos problem at 130k

This was on a well maintained car. Most of it was replaced under BMWs premium selection warranty, so a mechanical warranty is a very good idea on an E46.

Scary

And I used to quite like E46's

Vanos problem at 130k

Japanese import??

My Mum has had one since new (nearly nine years) and not a thing has gone wrong bar a sagging window trim.. maybe it’s the 50,000km of unknown before you owned it.

Vr6 Vw Golf.

Pic of one off Trade me

very cool little cars, esp if you can find one with a Recaro interior. However they are very very thirsty!

Japanese import??

My Mum has had one since new (nearly nine years) and not a thing has gone wrong bar a sagging window trim.. maybe it’s the 50,000km of unknown before you owned it.

Jerry C import from South Africa at 12k and serviced by them till around 140k so probably not.

And yeah the roof lining is sagging too.

It's not a terrible list really. The vanos and the cooling system are the annoying things.

Edited by Westy

very cool little cars, esp if you can find one with a Recaro interior. However they are very very thirsty!

My VR6 manual wasn't too bad on juice - although having said that the 330 with auto is a bit better (even though its a heavier car, auto, larger capacity, climate control etc). Just shows what 8 years in automotive techology means in real terms.

Not really a fan of those earlier A4's, later ones are pretty cool but getting to pricey.

he golf's are cool, on the small side though. VR6 could be worth looking at if the fuel useage is reasonable, i've already got a 1.8T engine, dont really want another one.

I've got a week free when I'm back in welly so will probably spend it test driving :D