Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

Yeah I did weight the two engines to see the difference but cant remember off the top of my head. The extra weight was/is the biggest concern I have about this swap (after the cost). I'm sure ill make up the time lost in cornering on the straights tho.

oil cooler done:

IMG_0462_zps32fc5yx5.jpg

IMG_0463_zpsg8tu7my4.jpg

Front bumper is mounted. Waiting on a new radiator, water hoses and the fan from an Z3 Roadster before I can make some shrouds to direct air from the bumper openings.

What kind of hp are you getting from the new motor?

Has it been dyno'ed yet?

Box up that pod if you can mate, will help a lot with IAT (intake air temp) cross map to retarding ignition timing. Also have a chat with Ray he can setup the throttle map on the DME to get some of the safe 'road' feel away from the fly-by-wire throttle.

Am looking forward to the vids of this badboy in action :D

What kind of hp are you getting from the new motor?

Has it been dyno'ed yet?

Most people seam to be getting just over 300 with a tune and rebuilt motor but these rings haven't been touched and the limiter is going to be set at 7500 down from the normal 8000rpm to help conserve the motor. I don't want it to go bang due to the cost of these things. I'm hoping for a conservative 280HP. Anything less ill be a little disappointed but not super surprised...it leaves room for improvement.

Box up that pod if you can mate, will help a lot with IAT (intake air temp) cross map to retarding ignition timing. Also have a chat with Ray he can setup the throttle map on the DME to get some of the safe 'road' feel away from the fly-by-wire throttle.

Am looking forward to the vids of this badboy in action :D

Yes Sir! :P The inlet is just sitting there at the moment, still waiting on the radiator and new radiator hoses before I build a box. Want to make it out of something less heat conductive that alloy. I know its easy to work with but it seams like such a terrible material in regards to heat transfer. I'm not much good with fiberglass...unless you can get glass/foam panels, mock it up and glue the box in place (making it removable). Ill have to look in to it. Can also use the fog light area to duct air towards it fairly easily if I can find a vent.

Ive heard of people changing the DME so the 'Sports mode' that the MS S54 has hiding in there somewhere is constantly activated. Is this the same thing your talking about?

Ive heard of people changing the DME so the 'Sports mode' that the MS S54 has hiding in there somewhere is constantly activated. Is this the same thing your talking about?

Yep amoung other things if you installed the stand-alone mk60 ABS system you could do more too.

Go up and get ray to take you out in one of his 20 modified mss54 e46s up there. RPM limits can be toggled along with speed limiters and lots of other good stuff.

An adjustable speed limiter would be awesome for Targa. My ECU is currently in the US with Kassel Performance getting some reprogramming done. They do aplug and play wiring harness for an E36. Hopefully it works as they say it does although I'm getting worried as he hasn't replied to my three emails and two phone messages so far. Terrible communication, Not the way I would run a business....

3.91, it was hitting the limit of 221km/h at Hampton in 5th when all the gear was in the e30, never used to be a problem until I rebuilt the motor and got a more flat power curve.

During the reshell the option was to either put a taller diff in or go 6 speed. I chose 6 speed in order to keep the gearing close, even did a fancy spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JomWx1T9e1GLv4BQrFc0F50lWsIzDf1PR95ZBQ0AXoc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks - good spreadsheet!!

• Like 1

New Z3m radiator, both radiator hoses, fan and fan shroud are in. I was hoping this would be a straight bolt in as with the old M52 set up the fan was just touching the radiator. I did some snooping on other forms and decided to get the above three items from a Z3m as its an E36 chassis and also has the S54. When I bolted it all up... Same problem! A little gutted but the difference maybe in the water pump (my S54 came from an E46) The Z3m pump may have a shorter shaft so the fan sits closer to the engine. The viscus hub in the Z3m has the same part number as the E46 m3 so that's no different...

I cant change the water pump to a Z3m as that would mean I would have to change my coolant tank as they have slightly different plumbing.

Anyhow, I made it work. Had to pull the radiator forward slightly and mount the fan behind the viscus coupling. Not ideal but it will work fine and has plenty of clearance both sides.

I was also expecting the Z3m radiator to be thicker but it was the same as my old one. Its even slightly shorter, I'm assuming this was to make room for the big oil cooler the S54 runs. But, if its good enough for BMW to use as standard, then its good enough for me!

I plan on making plastic or alloy air ducts to seal the area around the radiator to the bumper inlets. The S54 has to make a lot more heat than the old M52...

image11_zpsmxqasd60.jpg

Edit: Finally got hold of Kassel Performance! Everything was meant to be in the post by now.... hope to get my wiring harness by early next month. People who don't deliver products/services when they said they would, Its a bit of a pet hate of mine :ph34r:

Edited by Steve K-B

Found a slim line fan that might work. Its from E46 320d, X5, along with a bunch of other diesels.

Part number: 11522243303

I couldn't find any wreckers in Auckland who had one so it could be an expensive bargain as Ive ordered one.... Fingers crossed it fits and pulls enough air.

265708_x800.jpg

It was an option but I wanted to keep things OE. From my experience the viscus system works bloody well... Ive never had a problem with them.... yet

• Like 1

The car cranks and has spark!! I was so excited to hear it turn over and to see those electronic butterfly's work, Stoked.

That fan works sweet, wiring harness has obviously arrived and is installed although More tiding up to do but it will do for now.

Just waiting on a fuel pump relay to arrive from Germany..... 2 weeks Agh! So gutted as I need to do some laps before the car goes away for panel beating. The wiring harnes came with instructions to use only this relay. I had just assumed it would use the common green style E46 relay,

61357892976-1.jpg

If any one has one Im all ears. Part number: 61357892976

There from an E39 M5 (2000 onward I think). Martin, AKA Breakmywindow has been very helpful in helping me search so a big public thank you goes out to him.

Variable speed controlled by DME based on engine load I believe.

• Like 1

How did you end up with needing the U.S stuff? Couldn't Kassel do Euro software / Euro wiring on the adapter loom and use a regular relay?

Polley is correct, from what I understand it adjusts the voltage to the pump at idle and under 20% throttle. It's an emitions thing.

You would think Kassel would have been able to do it but I suppose there catered for the American market.

So, after getting a relay from Ray, getting oil pressure and putting the plugs back in.... It started on what sounded like the first rotation!

Was so stoked!

Have since been to the dyno and its only making between 230 and 240 Hp. The power is flattening off after 5500rpm so have booked the car in at Jerry Clayton's to get the Vanos and fuel pressure checked...

Other than that, the car already feels strong so fingers crossed its just the Vanos unit.

• Like 1

Did you have the ECU flashed so dyno mode is enabled full time ? the DME will be expecting rear and front wheel speed signal from the MK20 or 60 otherwise.

Omg I don't know how I missed this thread! I'm looking at doing the S54 conversation on an E36 in the next few weeks its good to see someone else in NZ has done this!

Good timing then!

The hardest part is the wiring and I'm glad I opted to get a wiring harness pre-made. I couldn't have done it by myself in the time that I had. There's plenty of info out there on how to do it tho.

Update:

The speed input into the ECU was deleted so didn't have to worry about it.

The problems Gavin from Hi Velocity and myself worked through were:

Tthe fuel pump I was supplied was loosing pressure and flow at high rpms. Pressure was dropping to about 4 bar. Its supposed to be 5. The flow was also dying off up top so we sourced one locally, tested it and it had plenty of flow and pressure.

The cam sensor on the exhaust side was buggered so replaced that.

My brand new MAF sensor was faulty so used a second hand one.

The biggest thing that took ages to find was that the air straighter on the intake was missing. If you don't know what it is its a honey comb looking crisis cross about 10 mm thick that sits in the intake and its designed to straighten the air so the MAF sensor can read in incoming air properly. I had an intake from AFE as I didnt have the stock airbox. Its a total crap design from afe.... As soon as we put one in it made another 25-30 hp... and they claim it makes power! Pffft

I ended up with between 275-280 HP at rear wheels and the next step is alpha N tune that will ditch the MAF sensor all together. From what I under stand Its what the CSL cars ran

Also broke an axle playing silly buggers in the last stage.... but it didn't effect any placings so learn t something new

I had an intake from AFE as I didnt have the stock airbox. Its a total crap design from afe.... As soon as we put one in it made another 25-30 hp... and they claim it makes power! Pffft

We replaced one a while back in an s54b32 and it was another one of those crap DIY aftermarket tuner designs. It actually relates back to the a bad volumetric design of the tube thats used. Its really sensitive. If its wrong and the sensor provides the wrong reading back to the DME vs whats actually happening, it runs like a bag of dicks.

The next best thing next to the stock MAF is the CSL design with MAP sensor. You need a MSS54HP (2003+) ECU which can then be modded to handle the stock CSL MAP sensor and air flap. Then it can be coded with CSL software and the installation of a carbon airbox can be done. I would probably then also tweak the maps to suit your exhaust setup (assuming you have euro headers and not US ones).

Alpha-N is different to the CSL software as it doesnt use the MAP sensor but the throttle position sensor and a lookup table in the DME to calculate airflow and therefor how much fuel should be delivered. This is great for WOT throttle, but not very accurate for mid throttle or roll on throttle. In the real world there isnt too much difference but precision and fuel efficiency is lost.

Very great Info guys! Yeah, I was also looking at the pre made loom I'm not crazy into the wiring so hopefully the one I'm looking at will short 90% of it for me!

Diff, axle upgrade this year.

Large case diff with 4.44

300M axles

GKN motorsport cv's

Larger wheel bearing to suit custom drive flange and E28 inner drive flanges.

Hopefully its unbreakable!

1FAAC8EF-AA24-47FC-BAA9-B1271C6D34E7_zps

BF4A54A3-1002-496F-8CA3-39C943224E93_zps

• Like 5