Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

All the welding has been done, Got my log book and the front brakes turned up this morning! Mean. Body kit should be back by next week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The crank fit in the block ok but for it to work I needed new lower compression pistons with diffrent hight ring groves. To be honnest it was going to be to expensive and it cost an arm and a leg just as it stands now. Altho I kind of wanted the biggest engine in the KB targa family just for bragging rites but my brother one upped me with his new 3.1ltr M20 haha.

Im kind of thinking Id love to put a V8 in it at some point maybe in a couple of years or so. Ive always wanted one.

Got my body kit back a few weeks ago!... but have been over seas since. While I was away I had some one who knew what they were doing panel wise to cut had the rear wheel wells up to the size of the new guards. Now im back ive dummy fitted one of the rear guards and attached it to the rear bumper. Am half way through doing the other side but its looking good.

I also fitted the rest of the kit to get me motivated to get my ass into gear (I like visual progress!) The front wheel spacing looks good so far. E46 front arm made a good difference so thanks to Tony (Westy) for that idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Coming along nicely. What did you use for the strut tops?

There standard at the moment but once I get the suspension sorted ill get adjustable top plates and I think I'll be able to dial out the camber if needed. Still have to sort out some longer rack ends but I will wait to see if the above combination will work (,so far so good,) first before I start spending money on new parts.

Nice Build Steve! I am having thoughts of doing something very similar over here in Oz, but mine will be destined for gravel. I had thought initially that you purchased a Harry Hockley cage kit as well as the bodykit but seems you just made one yourself?

Is the M52 an alloy block version? I have an M54B30 I am planning on fitting an M50 head and OBD-I electronics.

Would you mind sharing how much HH charged you to ship the body kit? PM maybe.

Anyway hope to see some more updates! Is looking great thus far.

Edited by e30guydownunder

Nice Build Steve! I am having thoughts of doing something very similar over here in Oz, but mine will be destined for gravel. I had thought initially that you purchased a Harry Hockley cage kit as well as the bodykit but seems you just made one yourself?

Is the M52 an alloy block version? I have an M54B30 I am planning on fitting an M50 head and OBD-I electronics.

Would you mind sharing how much HH charged you to ship the body kit? PM maybe.

Anyway hope to see some more updates! Is looking great thus far.

M50 head will not fit an M54 block

M50 head will not fit an M54 block

Spent all day reading it up...head gaskets look nothing alike, so you are correct. I guess I will have to wait and see when I pull the two engines apart, something might be possible, but worst case use the M54 rotating assembly in the M50.

Have Pm'd you re shipping.

The m52 is alloy and I made the cage myself.

Just wanted to see how the wheels would rub on full bump. fronts are touching the upper wheel well so will have to address that soon. Looks like a rice racer

Posted Image

One last front edge to do on the rear guards then thats all finished.

Have sorted the spare wheel mounting uning a tie down and a couple of alloy brackets. Rear brakes are getting sorted tomorrow.

Edited by Steve K-B

Looks awesome!

So this will be ready for Targa Rotarua?

That's the new plan but we will see!

Edited by Steve K-B

As the story always goes I got busy with other stuff. Heres a little progress tho.

I didnt like the look of flocking for my dash and as it will be sitting in front of me all the time I went ahead with suede. Its not the best job but it would have been tough to do so im happy enough

Posted Image

Posted Image

front suspension is getting there. Just have to finish the other sides top mount

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Steve K-B

Didnt have enoough adjustment to get what I wanted. I should have plenty of room now.

Posted Image

Steve, I think you should stop building now, I do not need any more BMW's to try and keep up with on Targa.

Will this go into open class or class 5 with the mods you have done?

You have 6 months until Targa.

Did you have that mount profile cut or did you do it manually like a champ. Looks very tidy

Cheers guys.

Ive never looked into the Targa rule book re classes, I kind of just wanted to build a car the way I wanted to but ive just had a look and I should be in class 5.

Id like to say I cut them myself like a champ would but I took the easy way and gave the dimensions to a water cutting place on the shore. I also had a second set of top plates cut as I couldn't use the first set after drilling and tapping them with the three OE hole set up. They now have four.

Should have had the rear suspension struts here today but there was a couple of delays. Hope to get them late Sunday arvo. <_<

Also you guys should see me new list for plan off attack! My bro helped me out with it (Hes awesome!), much better than a list in my diary haha. Sick!

Edited by Steve K-B