Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

not sure if this helps but ive got m-sport II on my 330i and its not that low.. maybe you have different springs in your 528??

Are you going to swap the headlights the facelift type just look better especially if they have the clear corners

be keen to see what you find as far as new heater buttons go.

mine are cracking on temp controls. looked online and seems you can only buy a whole new face plate rather than just buttons. that included aftermarket cheap crap.

most retail around $110 USD

brent may be able to shed light on if we can just get buttons

Are you going to swap the headlights the facelift type just look better especially if they have the clear corners

Yet to decide as I think the angel eyes make the 528i much more saleable and I know I can pick up a new set of Depo lights fairly cheaply when I think it's time. Have decided to focus more on performance this time around as I won't be using the car daily and want to take it to the track now and again eventually. That said, I'll make sure I get looking as good as I possibly can on a budget... Starting with Car Folie's excellent tint deal!!

be keen to see what you find as far as new heater buttons go.

mine are cracking on temp controls. looked online and seems you can only buy a whole new face plate rather than just buttons. that included aftermarket cheap crap.

most retail around $110 USD

brent may be able to shed light on if we can just get buttons

Yep, picked up some buttons and a replacement centre arm rest from Brent today (partly so I could give the car a bit of a thrash!) though we had to check a few units to find four undamaged ones. I only needed the temp up/down buttons for boths sides but did noticed on eBay you could get a set of 4 said buttons for around US$25 brand new. Not sure of shipping. Edited by jeffbebe

Don't think I can be bothered switching the boot lids. Everyone seems to prefer Euro so maybe it's the antiestablismentarian in me that makes me lean towards the US boot lid. Anyway, ditched the ///M badge and I think the back looks pretty tidy.

Edited by jeffbebe

I don't mind the US boot lid I think on a black car it's not that obvious.

Should swap the kidney grills though .....

I don't mind the US boot lid I think on a black car it's not that obvious.

Should swap the kidney grills though .....

I've got some old black grills I'll throw on for now but plan to get gloss black facelift grills eventually. I paint-matched the ones on the 528i and feel they belong with that car.

Have been tinkering with the car most of the weekend and, barring a few cosmetic things and a decent service, am going to save for a manual conversion as the first order of business. Ray? Brent? Anyone?

Took Carfolie up on their very competitive offer for some nice dark tints to stop nosey people looking into my car and seeing my hello kitty rug on the parcel shelf.

Hard to believe, as I look out of my office window and the Sky Tower is obscured in thick clouds, lightening strikes and tornado warnings pop up in the news that it was a beautiful sunny day when I dropped my car off at Carfolie.

post-16586-1369110386.jpeg

Before:

post-16586-1369110424.jpeg

After:

post-16586-1369110436.jpeg

Sorry about the crap pics.

Edited by jeffbebe

Hard to believe, as I look out of my office window and the Sky Tower is obscured in thick clouds, lightening strikes and tornado warnings pop up in the news that it was a beautiful sunny day when I dropped my car off at Carfolie.

We live in Auckland, mate. You should expect that! :P

Tints look good :]

Factory xenons in (bad pic is half done). Not bad for $430 and I've got a buyer for the old ones. Car must have had them at some point - on the build sheet and it has self levelling motors, etc. Anyway, straight swap, just had to grab a couple of plugs for the angel eyes and indicators from Ray.

post-16586-1369378750.jpeg

Think I'll keep them factory with halogen rings and fogs - tried the LED thing but it was more hassle than it was worth.

Waiting for new spark plugs and other bits and pieces to turn up then full service. If the weather holds out this weekend... The big clean.

Edited by jeffbebe

Looking good. Always satisfying to dedicate a day to shining it up! Any luck with the sale of the 528i?

Looking good. Always satisfying to dedicate a day to shining it up! Any luck with the sale of the 528i?

Thanks... Yep, got a deposit for the 528i... She goes tomorrow. Will be sad to see her go, she looks so good. Hopefully won't take too long to get the 540i looking as good.

Sold the 528i today for a good price (though she still owes me a fair bit...). Here she is with the new toy hours before leaving home:

post-16586-1369483269.jpg

Got straight onto Schmiedmann and bought a few cosmetics and waterproofing (rear windscreen moulding cost me $94 from the stealer for the 528I!!!)...

post-16586-1369483362.png

Let the games begin!

That's a good price for a door seal, stealer quoted me 250 each for the e36s! Might have to do another order with them

That's a good price for a door seal, stealer quoted me 250 each for the e36s! Might have to do another order with them

Really?! I didn't even bother getting a price as I knew it would be high. Perishables are pretty cheap from Schmiedmann and shipping's not too bad if you get a few things at the same time.

i think you did the right thing in keeping the 528 as cool as you could.You wont have recouped your money but its made it more sellable.

What you need to do now is to see if you can drive a 540 six speed before you decide if you want to do a conversion.A 540 series is a heavy car and you will always be aware of that weight when pushing on.It will never be a s flickable as a three series,and the 528 and 530 will be noticeably less nose heavy.In my book though this is easliy counterd by the torque and smoothness of the V8.So you may find the the idea of an auto 540 isnt so bad.

540 6 speeds are out there.Ask around, i bet there are some people that know someone who has one(or knows someone else who has one.

Edited by kiwi535

Car finally got a good clean today. She's scrubbed up well. At lot less to do to get her looking... Well, pretty much exactly the same as my last one!

post-16586-1369545884.jpg

Funny... your neighbours will probably have no idea you've changed cars :lol:

Funny... your neighbours will probably have no idea you've changed cars :lol:

Unless they listen to it of course... Love that unmistakable V8!

I'm off to Aus for work tomorrow so dropped the car off at my mechanic's for a service in order to fulfil my mechanical warranty obligations. Have asked that they do a couple of extra things while it's therm - skim the rotors, give the suspension a thorough check, full transmission service and check the viscous fan clutch (it's been sounding like it's locking up occasionally, fortunately the dealer said he'll pay for the repairs if required).

Pick it up on Friday when I get back and hopefully it will be in tip-top condition for the Auckland meet over the weekend.

it's been sounding like it's locking up occasionally, fortunately the dealer said he'll pay for the repairs if required

Score B) That's what dealers should do really.

I think the V8 fans do lock a bit in traffic - the 8's run particularly hot - it helps with their pretty good economy.

Car finally got a good clean today. She's scrubbed up well. At lot less to do to get her looking... Well, pretty much exactly the same as my last one!

post-16586-1369545884.jpg

Gorgeous!

Thinking back, awhile ago my mate took me for a drive in his E39 540i. It was such a different animal to the 530i, and the 528i I've also driven a bit.

It's quite fascinating, I almost always associated other 5 series as being the same (mentally) due to the same looks even though under the bonnet I knew they were different.

Then being in a 540i under some throttle... So much torque!