Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

Not a small job and to completely overhaul. You need all sorts of special tools to lock the timing chains in order to replace the seals (yours is dual Vanos right?).

No special tools needed for the M54 6cyl B)

Arma - That vanos hose leak will just be 2 aluminium washers and about 10 minutes work max. Really easy. However, if the seals have never been done with the correct type, they'll be knackered ;)

No special tools needed for the M54 6cyl

Easy then! :blink:

Easy then! :blink:

Very B) couple of hours, easy ;)

The V8's a bit more involved!

Very B) couple of hours, easy ;)

The V8's a bit more involved!

A bit... Ray reckons 10-12 hours and they've done similar vanos overhauls before. Think the V8 would be an unwise job to tackle for the home mechanic!

A bit... Ray reckons 10-12 hours and they've done similar vanos overhauls before. Think the V8 would be an unwise job to tackle for the home mechanic!

Haha! Yeah. I'd probably do it... but I'm mad. It'd probably only take me 6 months. I ALWAYS have a spare car, in case I decide to do something myself :D

Broke the f*cking lcd screen on my instrument cluster while attempting to replace the ribbon. Angry with myself. The plastic unit holding the screen was very brittle and I didn't realise a couple of the clips for the lcd surround had already cracked. When I put the surround back on I was pressing to hear the 'click' of the clips. It never came obviously, and I pressed a bit hard.

Pain in the neck. A $20 pixel fix has turned into an $80 lcd screen replacement!

Also added some chrome bezel rings and coloured the needles red with a Sharpie which worked pretty well. (I'd tried fluorescent needle paint previously and it was rubbish).

post-16586-0-73972800-1380161627.jpg

post-16586-0-45135400-1380159516.jpg

post-279-0-49869400-1380259666.jpg

Since everyone else seems to have bought new gear and handbrake gaiters lately I thought I'd follow suit. Just got black ones with dark red stitching to match the trim. Not a great pic with the phone and flash but you get the idea.

post-16091-0-22440900-1380256268_thumb.j

Edited by jeffbebe

looking good Jeff! New gaiters are where its at :P pitty about the screen tho

looking good Jeff! New gaiters are where its at :P pitty about the screen tho

Thanks. Yeah, annoyed with myself... Especially as the rest of the process had gone smoothly. Will put a DIY up once I get the new screen in so hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else!

Stumped up for auto transmission service. Replaced filter, gasket and fluid. Used nearly 14L of Castrol Dexron VI to flush the old (and very dirty) fluid and refill. Confirmed it's a safe subsitute for the OE fluid and about half the price. Definitely feel the difference in the short drive I made yesterday. Will report more when I've had a chance to drive for a while.

Broke the f*cking lcd screen on my instrument cluster while attempting to replace the ribbon. Angry with myself. ....

Pain in the neck. A $20 pixel fix has turned into an $80 lcd screen replacement!

If it makes you feel any better I once rounded an allen key M3 screw and had to replace it, only to find that you can't actually buy the damn screw on its own and the only option was to buy the whole f**king mechanism for a nice $390+GST ....

Edited by M3_Power

If it makes you feel any better I once rounded an allen key M3 screw and had to replace it, only to find that you can't actually buy the damn screw on its own and the only option was to buy the whole f**king mechanism for a nice $390+GST ....

Ouch... Anyone who tries to claim an M car is as cheap to maintain as a regular bimmer is dreaming!

Can you post a pic of the cluster with the rings etc installed. I have a set of the brushed silver ones which I have not had the guts to try and install since I bought my car in early 2011. I need some motivation.

Also keen to see how the red ties in with the trim.

Had matte silver rings on the 528i which I preferred to these chrome ones but still looks better than stock I think. Unlit + lit. You've got to be pretty patient with the sharpie to get an even finish - basically you need to build up a lot of colour and then use the flat side like a brush. Otherwise it'll look pretty streaky (and worse when it's backlit).

post-279-0-60972000-1380259737.jpg

post-1040-0-74418900-1380276136_thumb.jp

EDIT: Meant to add that changing the cluster rings is really easy. The cluster's easy to get out: Just pop out the two dash trim pieces either side of the steering wheel; remove the 3 phillips head screws underneath the trim; then unscrew the three screws under the 'hood' of the cluster with a T20 screwdriver and you should be able to pop the plastic surround out. You'll need to unplug the fog lights to get it right out of the way so you can pull the cluster out. I can send you some instructions for removing the back of the cluster then you just clip the cluster rings into the cover and reassemble.

Edited by jeffbebe

Here's a pic of our matt silver ones, in case anyone wants to see them:

Posted Image

Came from this guy: Suwit10 on eBay for about NZ$22 shipped.

The gauges look a bit plain with nothing on, the rings do smarten them up!

The gauges look a bit plain with nothing on, the rings do smarten them up!

Looks good. TBH, having coloured my needles I'd recommend keeping them white - mainly because recolouring is pretty tricky to get even - and if you don't get it right it'll look terrible when backlit. I did a pretty good job but can still seem some unevenness when they're lit. Replacing the needles is expensive or very difficult to DIY

I am in two minds about it - I have the burlwood trim in my car and there are no other chrome or metal parts in the interior. I don't want it to look too out of place. I quite like it being nice and clean.

Ouch... Anyone who tries to claim an M car is as cheap to maintain as a regular bimmer is dreaming!

if I had to compare the bills between my racecar and the M5

The M5 has been a dream.

Regular & preventative maintenance is the key. Fix it before it breaks.

I am in two minds about it - I have the burlwood trim in my car and there are no other chrome or metal parts in the interior. I don't want it to look too out of place. I quite like it being nice and clean.

I did the same mod in my 528i that had mint walnut trim - it looked much better than stock IMO. Since the cluster rings are so easy to install you should just give it a whirl and, if you don't like it, take 'em out! But I do recommend the matte silver (Titanline) rings rather than chrome.

Took this pile of goodies to Ray at HellBM this morning for his team to begin open heart surgery on the 540i. Looking forward to the results!

post-2882-0-64261600-1380342609_thumb.jp

Edited by jeffbebe

Took this pile of goodies to Ray at HellBM this morning for his team to begin open heart surgery on the 540i. Looking forward to the results!

post-2882-0-64261600-1380342609_thumb.jp

Wow thats a fair bit of work. Looking forward to hearing of the results once the Vanos is refreshed, I wish I had done mine when I got the rail guides done, but Besian had not finished their testing. Are you doing the timing chain guide rails also?

Wow thats a fair bit of work. Looking forward to hearing of the results once the Vanos is refreshed, I wish I had done mine when I got the rail guides done, but Besian had not finished their testing. Are you doing the timing chain guide rails also?

Was planning to then budget started getting a bit tight so only bought a new timing guide chain tensioner (as per Beisan instructions). If Ray finds anything nasty I've given the green light to fix unless we're talking mortgage amounts.

Will provide a good write up of how it feels post surgery and hoping Ray can take a few snaps while she's in pieces.

26 hours work for Ray's team in the end but he did a good deal since it was the first time they'd done an M62tu double vanos. Engine now running a full 10-15° cooler than before with the new thermostat went in.

Didn't require new timing chain guide rails (and I think Ray wanted to ease the pain of the bill a little bit) but did replace the PCV valve. Cold start issues seem almost completely gone, only thing it still does is still require a bit of revving if it's been really cold, not sure the cause but have some coils on the way so won't worry about it until those are in.

Only been able to drive it a couple of times before heading away on holiday but very very happy and reckon the engine's in ship shape for the Stage 2 Dinan tune and trans s/w upgrade I'm going to do in the next few months. Now to enjoy a few weeks off without worrying about the bloody car!!!

Back at work today after 4 weeks away. Totally forgot to disconnect the battery before I left so the beast is as dead as a dodo. Tried jumping but even that didn't provide enough juice to get her going so the battery's gone off for a charge. Slightly annoying that so much stuff 'goes on' when the car is off but I did know what to expect and should have disconnected the battery. Nevermind.

In better news I had a box of lovely brand new ignition coils waiting for me when I got back so will get those in at the weekend.

Back at work today after 4 weeks away. Totally forgot to disconnect the battery before I left so the beast is as dead as a dodo. Tried jumping but even that didn't provide enough juice to get her going so the battery's gone off for a charge. Slightly annoying that so much stuff 'goes on' when the car is off but I did know what to expect and should have disconnected the battery. Nevermind.

In better news I had a box of lovely brand new ignition coils waiting for me when I got back so will get those in at the weekend.

two words:

trickle charger